Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Financing Pros & Cons???

All,
As my wife and I near the "go for launch" in actually purchasing our first Used Class A Tiffin/Newmar/2008-2012/gasser/$50-80K range, we are trying to figure out the best way to pay/finance it.

We could pay cash for it, but I'd prefer to put a good downpayment on it ($20K ish) and finance the rest until we see how things roll out financially. Does anyone have suggestions on how to/where to go for financing so we may get the best rate/terms possible?

Credit Rating is no issue at all as we are well over the 800+ mark for credit purposes.

I know it's a "personal decision" and I get that but any info as to what and where to go for help would be great. Don't know if there are places that specialize in RV loans or not...
Thanx so much...
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Part of your thought process should be what happens to your tax situation.

If pulling the money [to pay cash] is coming from an IRA or 401K, be advised that the amount of money you take from that program will go into your gross income for the year. Most programs take 20 to 25% right off the top for taxes; so if you need $75,000, you have to take out $100,000 to get it.

When looking at paying cash or financing, it became apparent that paying cash would cost me a higher insurance premium (Medicare), a higher tax bracket and a huge tax liability.

Pro....you don't have to pay the interest on a loan or loan payments.

For me, financing is the better way to go.

FWIW...I have no coach right now
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

The places that I remember being mentioned for loans (in no particular order) :

Essex
Bank of America
USBank
USAA (I have used two times must be a member)
Credit Unions

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Essex Credit Corporation, US Bank and Costco. Essex and Costco advertise a lot and US Bank has a RV and boat loan division.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For us it worked out better to finance the Magna than to take the money out of our annuity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In this economy, many are making more on their money in the stock market and other accounts than the current interest rate on loans. That kind of makes it a no brainer. Borrow the money at a lower rate and leave your cash alone. When you add the right off as a second home, you reduce your theoretical interest rate even further.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

A sincere thank you to all.... I appreciate the good information and once again I like to defer to those of you who are "doing it"!!!

Like I said, I could pay cash but in this low interest economy...a loan looks better. Not only that the Motorhome $$$ would come out of our funds we use to "flip houses" which is going very well right now...would not want to kill that goose who's laying some good eggs right now.

Another question...how about the term of the loan? Would you suggest go as long as you can and pay off sooner if it makes sense or pick a shorter term from get-go???
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Another question...how about the term of the loan? Would you suggest go as long as you can and pay off sooner if it makes sense or pick a shorter term from get-go???
Personally, I went with a longer term (20 year) with the intention of paying it off much earlier. As mentioned, another advantage is you can deduct the interest as a second home off your income taxes and some states you can claim the sales tax as a deduction.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just financed part of our new to us 2009 Thor magellan 36r. Where we got it was a local small RV dealer. He had a good rate of 4.7% for the remainder of our coach after the trade with Alliant Credit Union. A lower rate could possibly be had with a home equity loan. I'd stop buy your bank for guidance. Good luck and enjoy the lifestyle.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Just remember that an RV is a depreciating asset, so the longer the financing term, the further in the hole you go as depreciation eats up the value. And the temptation to use your cash flow for something other than an early pay-off is great.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #11

When we decided we'd like to pay cash, we realized that, since we'd have to liquidate a few investments, there'd be a capital gains hit. Our house is paid off, so we decided on a home equity loan - tax deductible. Our "cash" and investments are intact, we'll pay it off faster than the allowable term, we can cash in investments on a schedule that is less "taxing" and will still have the funds we would have paid for "just in case".

We'd rather pay the bank than Uncle Sam at this point.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #12

Financing purchase of a RV

We used Bank of the West and got favorable interest rate and terms.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

I do "hard money" loans on Real Estate only that provides a 8-12% return. My coach is financed @ 4.25%. That was an easy decision for me. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote