Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Finding Ford motorhome chassis service locations

This is my first gas class A and locating Ford dealers that service these rigs is cumbersome to say the least. We are also full timers so we don't have a regular local dealer. I know there is a toll free number at Ford to assist in locating a dealer but thought there must be a way to search for this information online. Here it is:

https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/findDealer/init

There is a box for class A (and class C) motorhomes that you can check to narrow down the search. The map provided also can zoom in/out geography based on zip code. I would recommend you call to schedule the appointment and verify they actually do service motorhomes.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #2

For me, one of the great advantages of driving a gas coach with an F53 chassis is that you can get it serviced at practically any Ford dealer. Right now we're in a small town in Iowa and I've had no trouble at all having our coach serviced at a local Ford dealer with (recently) new anti-sway bar bushings, a steering stabilizer installation, oil change, and new shocks. I can only speak for myself, but it seems to me that you should have very few problems finding a Ford dealer able to provide most any chassis service you require. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #3

Not really accurate for my area. I have to drive to VA from MD -- the one listed close to me (3 miles) doesn't do class A's.

I use a light truck service center near me and once-a-year the dealership I got it from.

If I need to have something flashed, I hike down to VA.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Escapees View Post
This is my first gas class A and locating Ford dealers that service these rigs is cumbersome to say the least. We are also full timers so we don't have a regular local dealer. I know there is a toll free number at Ford to assist in locating a dealer but thought there must be a way to search for this information online. Here it is:

There is a box for class A (and class C) motorhomes that you can check to narrow down the search. The map provided also can zoom in/out geography based on zip code. I would recommend you call to schedule the appointment and verify they actually do service motorhomes.
I just checked on that site for my location and the nearest source was 88 miles away. That means for me that there were none in Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, etc. And there are certainly Ford dealers within that 88 mile radius.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are numerous truck/auto service centers that will service your MH. Unless it is a major Ford chassis related issue or a warranty item, a reliable independent service facility will accommodate you. The best source of information for good service centers has been other owners of like vehicles. Check around the campgrounds or possibly your post here will get some responses. We frequent an independent in FL and here in KY, as well some others while on the road-mostly for oil changes and such. Good luck!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Bronk makes a good point. We have used Raney's in Ocala and they work on darn near everything - including my former ride, a 1997 Safari Shara. Excellent work and fair pricing. They are especially good at finding parts for coaches that are no longer made. Also many people love Josam in Orlando for alignment work and front end repairs. We also trust The Hitching Post In Ocala for tow systems (including Blue Ox True Center) and they are also a good certified Aqua Hot service center. There are many good independent shops - just have to ask around. Just hard to network these places when you need service on the road.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I just checked on that site for my location and the nearest source was 88 miles away. That means for me that there were none in Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, etc. And there are certainly Ford dealers within that 88 mile radius.
When we bought our Class C/E450 last year, I called Ford Motorhome Customer Service. They told me the only dealer equipped to service it was Bell Ford, which is a 60 mile trip, one way. Although Bell has been accommodating and provided quick excellent service, there are three available Ford dealers just a few miles from my home, according to the online link provided earlier. I may need to make some calls.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:

You will be lucky to find a ford dealer to do class A ford MH. & Ford customer service #, no help, they can't find dealer close to me either. & I live in the city of Houston Tx. Closest is about 2 hr drive. Hope I won't have a ford warranty service issue, because ford won't help. I do have local shops that will work on class A MH, but not warranty work.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep it's crazy. I was told most any Ford dealership can do the Ford service and handle warranty claims.....not true!

I have a 2017 that a instrument cluster light doesn't work, having 5 large Ford dealers in our town I figured no problem. Not a one will look at it, I've explained it's only 5 screws, I'll remove them. Still no go :(

I drive a F150 and have had several, probably never again with this service issue.

Steve
Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

I needed a recall done on my 2016 F-53. None of the local Ford dealers would touch it because none had a service bay large enough to take it. I called the Ford Customer number. They transferred me to the Ford Motorhome Customer Service number. I explained that none of the local dealers could handle my unit due to the size. I told the lady that I was upset with the wording on the recall notice as it said it was my responsibility to get the recall done. I told her that I did not install the defective unit, they did and if they wanted to clear the recall they needed to find a dealer who could do the work and it had to be within a reasonable driving distance. She put me on hold then came back and told me to take it to a dealer that was 40 miles away. I did and the work was done quickly. I asked if they normally did RVs and they said no because of the size but this recall was simple (transmission shift bracket replacement) and after Ford called them they decided they could do it. I guess the moral of the story is call the Ford Motorhome service and have them put pressure on the dealers. Of course this would not apply to a major repair that required being on a lift as most dealers are just not equipped to handle something as large as a RV.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I wonder if folks with class C 350/450 chassis fare better due to the smaller size of those units. Seems like the F53 chassis/class A MH is outside the core business model of most Ford dealerships service facilities. I know Ford and International build essentially the same HD truck in Mexico for example so maybe Ford should partner with International truck facilities in the US and Canada for F53 service and warranty work. That would give us folks access to something like the Freightliner network that serves the DP market. Not that Freightliner is perfect but big motorhomes and big trucks are their core business versus cars and light duty trucks at a typical automobile dealership,

An example of how NOT to handle a MH customer. I had a service appointment set up three weeks in advance at a large Augusta GA dealership, Gerald Jones, for alignment, check rear sway bar bolts and oil change. Dropped MH off in AM and checked back with them after lunch. Nothing had been done! Why? They only have one service bay for motorhomes and that was tied up with an coach that needed major brake work for which parts were on order. That rig was in the bay when I dropped my coach off and I am sure they knew the day before that parts had to be ordered. Did they call me ahead of time to reschedule? Nope. All they wanted to tell me was how busy they were, someone was out on medical, etc. etc. Maybe if I left the coach there with a refrigerator full of food for a week perhaps they could work me in. Wow.

There has to be a better way to take good (never mind excellent) care of F53 chassis customers.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #12

Had nothing but trouble with a check engine light on our 2016 F53. Came on 3 times between Florida and Seattle. Called Ford Motorhome Customer Service only to find out they have no idea whether a dealership can work on a Motorhome until they call and ask. Found out a majority of Dealers are unable due to space and hoist reasons. Had this same problem with our Mercedes Sprinter. Had to drive from Bakersfield Ca to Phoenix for a wheel sensor issue and sold it because of this issue. First F53 light issue happened in Tallahassee Fl and was sent to an independent truck shop as they were the only Ford authorized shop for over 150 miles. 3 weeks later I got it back stating it was an out of stock EGR valve that was replaced. Instead I got a new rv that 2 squirrels caused $3,000 damage under the dash. Both Ford and the dealer said it was not their responsibility. While passing through Indiana the light came on again. Ford could only find a dealer in Davenport, Iowa to look at it. Once there they told me they don' t work on RV's but would look at it. 2 hours later I was told the found nothing , cleared the codes and sent us on our way. 20 miles north of Portland, Oregon the light came on for a third time. Called Ford and was told to head to Seattle to Summer Ford who quickly found it needed a software update and apologized for the other Dealers performing an easy fix . RV now listed on RV Trader. Bought another coach---not Ford
Old 08-31-2017, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
I wonder if folks with class C 350/450 chassis fare better due to the smaller size of those units. Seems like the F53 chassis/class A MH is outside the core business model of most Ford dealerships service facilities. I know Ford and International build essentially the same HD truck in Mexico for example so maybe Ford should partner with International truck facilities in the US and Canada for F53 service and warranty work. That would give us folks access to something like the Freightliner network that serves the DP market. Not that Freightliner is perfect but big motorhomes and big trucks are their core business versus cars and light duty trucks at a typical automobile dealership,

An example of how NOT to handle a MH customer. I had a service appointment set up three weeks in advance at a large Augusta GA dealership, Gerald Jones, for alignment, check rear sway bar bolts and oil change. Dropped MH off in AM and checked back with them after lunch. Nothing had been done! Why? They only have one service bay for motorhomes and that was tied up with an coach that needed major brake work for which parts were on order. That rig was in the bay when I dropped my coach off and I am sure they knew the day before that parts had to be ordered. Did they call me ahead of time to reschedule? Nope. All they wanted to tell me was how busy they were, someone was out on medical, etc. etc. Maybe if I left the coach there with a refrigerator full of food for a week perhaps they could work me in. Wow.

There has to be a better way to take good (never mind excellent) care of F53 chassis customers.

That's not just the problem with F53 warranty work - I made a 3 week appointment for warranty on coach I had bought at my MH dealer. Dropped it off on day of appointment & they did not start on it for days. Had been waiting 1 1/2 months for parts, so after days of waiting for them to start work, they said wrong parts were ordered. Another 3 weeks.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Not really accurate for my area. I have to drive to VA from MD -- the one listed close to me (3 miles) doesn't do class A's.

I use a light truck service center near me and once-a-year the dealership I got it from.

If I need to have something flashed, I hike down to VA.
Dave,

When I was looking at Class A's on the F53 chassis, I went to Al Packer Ford over on Pulaski Hwy and was told they would work on them. Unless you are close, give them a call to double check.

Tags
cat, chassis, ford, motorhome, service