Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Another fire prevention option is to install an ARP , " Automatic Refrigerator Protection " , a add on device that adds a control box and temp sensor that shuts down the refrigerator heat source whenever the tube where the heat source is overheats, before it can trigger damage to the system.

Unlike the Norcold recall box it shuts off slightly above the highest acceptable "normal" temperature and auto-resets. The Norcold recall box hard trips hundreds of degrees above the highest "normal" temperature, and does not prevent high temps due to out of level that cause tubing corrosion. I have had the ARP control for years and the only time it operates is when I park out of level in a parking lot and forget to shut off the refrigerator.

No overheat, no overpressure in the tubing that triggers the coolant rupture. No overheat, no problem where the tubing corrodes from the inside causing the tubing to weaken and more easily rupture.

https://www.arprv.com
Another vote for the ARP!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, I wanted to make this post for those that believe that "it will never happen to them".

I have a close friend in Washington state that HAD owned a 2003 Monaco Diplomat. He and I talk a lot about RV's and the mod's that we have done to each of our coaches.

He was always interested in purchasing a Fire Fight Products AFFF foam system for his engine compartment BUT never got around to actually doing it.

Well early this year while traveling to a ski resort in Eastern Washington State, an engine fire had started unbeknownst to him. He eventually saw smoke billowing from his coach in his rear-view so he pulled over to investigate. Within seconds of getting to the rear of the coach flames were visible coming from his engine compartment. He removed his car and backed it up quickly. Minutes later fire trucks arrived but it was too late. Total loss and once the fire was extinguished all that was left was the frame.

He is still waiting on his insurance company after negotiating with them on value of coach and contents.

Unfortunately this tragedy could have been totally avoided if he had followed my advice sooner versus procrastinating.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #17

Given the number of documented incidents that have occurred with these refrigerators, I am at a loss as to why so much focus is placed on putting out the fires after they start and NOT just removing the dangerous appliances that are the root cause of the fires BEFORE they destroy your RV.

After all, if a person is so concerned about the potential for a fire from these specific appliances that they go out and purchase supplementary equipment or systems, sometimes as considerable expense, they obviously recognize the hazards and/or poor design of the equipment . . . . Wouldn't it be much wiser to just REMOVE the hazard to begin with?!?

Consider the person who has three trees on his property. They are all in line, and all rotten on the inside. . . . the first one falls in windstorm, crushing the shed on one side of his house. 6 months later the other one at the far end blows down and crushes his chicken shed . . . .

After he cleans up the mess of the chicken coop and disposes of all the debris and dead chickens, should he:

1. buy more home insurance?
  2. sell his house and move to a lot with no trees?
  3. reinforce his roof so it will hopefully allowing some living space to exist when the last tree falls and crushes his house?
  4. Install an alarm system that will sound a siren when it senses that the tree is starting to fall? orrrRR . . .
  5. Safely remove the tree and plant a new one?
Just my take on it . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #18

I like the look of the ARP system after looking at several options. Sometimes its not as easy as just replacing the fridge itself. The cost is always an issue, what to replace it with as another, what does a new fridge have in place so it doesn't overheat when not level?, Is a residential fridge built well enough for the rigurs of full-time Rving?

By the looks of it there is a proven fix out there in the ARP system for $175, in my eyes this makes sense.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

BTW, I wanted to make this post for those that believe that "it will never happen to them".

I have a close friend in Washington state that HAD owned a 2003 Monaco Diplomat. He and I talk a lot about RV's and the mod's that we have done to each of our coaches.

He was always interested in purchasing a Fire Fight Products AFFF foam system for his engine compartment BUT never got around to actually doing it.

Well early this year while traveling to a ski resort in Eastern Washington State, an engine fire had started unbeknownst to him. He eventually saw smoke billowing from his coach in his rear-view so he pulled over to investigate. Within seconds of getting to the rear of the coach flames were visible coming from his engine compartment. He removed his car and backed it up quickly. Minutes later fire trucks arrived but it was too late. Total loss and once the fire was extinguished all that was left was the frame.

He is still waiting on his insurance company after negotiating with them on value of coach and contents.

Unfortunately this tragedy could have been totally avoided if he had followed my advice sooner versus procrastinating.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I could not remember the link to the video and photos from my friends coach fire when posting the information but I was able to locate it today.

Here is the link.

RV Bursts into Flames Along I-90 Near North Bend

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #20

I don't think the analogy of rotting trees is an accurate one. Just install the ARP system and the fire problem is eliminated as it shuts off at a very low temperature if a problem arises. I agree I don't want something that could potentially start on fire. And as far as fire suppression goes I think the ARP system is much safer. Norcold should have designed the ARP system into their fridges from the beginning. My fridge works very well and I like the dual fuel option. Why would I replace it if I've taken care of the fire hazard?

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #21

I'm going to purchase the ARP system as I think this is the best option for me. I contacted the company in regards to the best option for my fridge and if they have a special and they are offering discounts on another website for its users. https://www.arprv.com/glamis-dunes-purchase.php

If anyone is interested all he ask is that you say you are from IRV2 for there records.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
After seeing a Monaco like ours go up in flames, I invested in the largest engine compartment system Fire Fight Products makes. I sure feel a lot safer when going down the road now. I also carry 5 of the large marine foam type and one large industrial halon extinguisher. After seeing a fire and attending Mac The Fire Guy's seminar twice, I have a real concern for our fire safety, especially since we are full time RVer's.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #23

If it's the refrigerator your concerned with, you really should get the ARP control. This article sums up why:
What Causes Norcold Cooling Unit Failures? - The Norcold Guy

They talk about what causes the cooling unit ruptures and how the safety switch operates. I have one and it's been a great safety add on.
PJtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJtraveler View Post
If it's the refrigerator your concerned with, you really should get the ARP control. This article sums up why:
What Causes Norcold Cooling Unit Failures? - The Norcold Guy

They talk about what causes the cooling unit ruptures and how the safety switch operates. I have one and it's been a great safety add on.
In the article linked above, "The Norcold Guy" states that operating the unit in an un-level condition can cause overheating and that:

"This will cause cooling unit failure in one of two ways:
  1. This thermal stress causes metal fatigue and over time will cause a cooling unit rupture.
  2. The overheating of the ammonia solution can cause a cooling unit blockage caused from the crystallization of Sodium Chromate."

It's interesting that NO mention is made of the resulting fires and damage/destruction of RV's that often follow "Result # 1"!

The related link also links advertising direct from ARP that explains how their control unit prevents the over temps that can lead to damage and catastrophic fires.

When our Norcold went in for the "Norcold Recall" the only thing that was added according to Northside RV in Lexington Kentucky, was a heat shield. Nothing else, unless the tech didn't know what he was talking about, or I misunderstood him pretty severely . . .

Sounds like Norcold needs to invest in the ARP control unit and add them to all Norcold units as a mandatory recall. Had they done that, I might still have a Norcold cooling unit!

Another question that comes to mind . . . .Just who IS "The Norcold Guy" and is he on the payroll of Norcold, or ARP? Or is he just a civic minded nice guy who tries to help people with their problems . . . . I guess I'm just a naturally suspicious guy!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire