Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2022, 11:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fire Suppression Upgrade

I really want to upgrade my fire suppression systems this year. I have a large format foam (Fire Fight) in my engine bay that I am going to convert to a dual head and get one head closer to the radiator. I am going to add another smaller foam system above the generator up front. I am also going to add Proteng systems on the inverter, battery compartment, transfer switch, and under the dash. The reason I am adding one under the dash is the "state" of wiring under the dash. Tangled, draped, and loose in many cases.

Are there any other higher priority locations that you would choose differently with the Proteng systems?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #2

You can say I’m jaded about things like this - are you going to buy a fire extinguisher to strap to your waste and those of you passengers as well?

What about installing a “Safer Barrier” all around your coach to act in reverse of protecting you and those in your coach should God forbid you get into an accident?

An interesting observation last week while driving from the Texas hill country back to Dallas - newly installed guard rails along various places of SH-281 - with orange traffic cones at each end and along the length of the guard rail.

And another observation - orange signs indicating ahead of a damaged highway guard rail - indicating “Guard rail damage ahead”.
Who in their right mind gets any value out of that sign - surely they don’t think “I better not have a wreck there because the guard rail is damaged!”.

My point to all of the above - primarily when it comes to the dash wiring but may apply to the engine bay as well - tie wraps are cheap, they’re reliable. If you wiring is a rats nest, which typically they are under a dash - then get some tie wraps and tighten up the rats nest. Search for wear points and insulate those points with some good 3M/Scotch electrical tape, placing flexible split wire conduit around those places that might chafe wires.

In the engine bay - Make sure all your fuel lines are secured in place. Inspect the engine bay on occasion to make sure a small leak hasn’t developed that could easily turn into a big leak.
Do the same for all the wiring that you did under the dash.

In the end, fire extinguishers are not preventative, the are reactive. You want to head off and prevent any source of fire before the fire breaks out.
If coaches were as prone to fire as to the level of protection that your suggesting to add, then I would think there would be burned out coaches strung out all along the highways.

That’s just me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Check out this thread for ideas. I did add one within the dash as well.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wil...on-566459.html
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Check out this thread for ideas. I did add one within the dash as well.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wil...on-566459.html

Thanks! Very helpful.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
You can say I’m jaded about things like this - are you going to but a fire extinguisher to strap to your waste and those of you passengers as well?

What about rubber installing a “Safer Barrier” all around your coach to act in reverse of protecting you and those in your coach should God forbid you get into an accident?

An interesting observation last week while driving from the Texas hill country back to Dallas - newly installed guard rails along various places of SH-281 - with orange traffic cones at each end and along the length of the guard rail.

Another observation - orange signs indicating ahead of a damaged highway guard rail - indicating “Guard rail damage ahead”.
Who in their right mind gets any value out of that sign - surely they don’t think “I better not have a wreck there because the guard rail is damaged!”.

My point to all of the above - primarily when it comes to the dash wiring but may apply to the engine bay as well - tie wraps are cheap, they’re reliable. If you wiring is a rats nest, which typically they are under a dash - then get some tie wraps and tighten up the rats nest. Search for wear points and insulate those points with some good 3M/Scotch electrical tape, placing flexible split wire conduit around those places that might chat wires.

In the engine bay - Make sure all your fuel lines are secured in place. Inspect the engine bay on occasion to make sure a small leak hasn’t developed that could easily turn into a big leak.
Do the same for all the wiring that you did under the dash.

In the end, fire extinguishers are not preventative, the are reactive. You want to head off and prevent any source of fire before the fire breaks out.
If coaches were as prone to fire as to the level of protection that your suggesting to add, then I would think there would be burned out coaches strung out all along the highways.

That’s just me.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Here is an interesting link for you. https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The most important thing is hopefully giving yourself and your family time to get out before being burned alive. I've witnessed an entire family being burned alive in their home many years ago, so maybe I'm a little more cautious than others. But if you're so much against any fire prevention equipment, might as well remove those noisy smoke detectors in your home and RV and save on battery costs
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Here is an interesting link for you. https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The most important thing is hopefully giving yourself and your family time to get out before being burned alive. I've witnessed an entire family being burned alive in their home many years ago, so maybe I'm a little more cautious than others. But if you're so much against any fire prevention equipment, might as well remove those noisy smoke detectors in your home and RV and save on battery costs
I didn’t say remove what makes practical sense.

For as many of those burning coach videos you will find posted, I don’t think you’ll find many coaches safely traveling down the highway without issue.

Sadly, sadly, there are fire tragedies and loss of life on a daily basis. But nothing near what it used to be due to a better understanding of the causes of fires, flame retardant materials which slow the fires rate of growth, and better manufacturing methods.

What you don’t see in those videos or hear explained (although I will admit I didn’t watch them all) are what the causes of the fires were.

You found videos of burning coaches - can you provide the data that shows a predominance of coaches catching fire as a result of those areas you want to protect further?

And while I have not done extensive research on this - from what I’ve read, a blown tire is far more likely to be the cause of a fire than the things you describe. There was even a recent posting on this site of one such occurrence.

Please understand, I don’t have a callus perspective on the value of life. But to beef up a system that is meant to be reactive, as opposed to making an effort to be preventative, for me isn’t the right approach.
Kind of like - you don’t store your gasoline and your box of matches or lighter in the same compartment - you store them separately. One of those is reactive, the other, preventative.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #7

Beware a Proteng gas system inside.

I found a couple of fuel hoses that had been rubbing on a frame member since 1993. They weren't worn anywhere near through but I secured them anyway. I did have a jack hose blow that had worn on a frame member.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MSDS shows no significant hazards when used in interior spaces.

Tags
fire, upgrade