Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Firestone Airbag question

Hi Everyone, 1st post after using the site to help research our newest purchase.

We just bought a 1999 Triple E Embassey 31' Class A on GMC chassis. I see it has Firestone Air Ride helpers. This motorhome will be both for camping and towing a 6000lb enclosed trailer.

Any ideas on where I should run the air bags with and without a load?

Thanks!
Drag Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

My rear weighs 7500 I run 65 front 70 that would get you close with no trailer can't help there I tow a dolly or 4 down
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Perfect. Thanks for the comparison. Turns out I have bags on the front as well. I aired them up today.....hope they hold air

Thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Your pressures will need to change once you hook a trailer, unless there is an automatic leveling system as well. Ideal pressure will vary on countless things per vehicle and conditions. The biggest thing to shoot for is a level ride when you are driving, with or without a trailer.

One thing to remember though is most systems require a minimum of 5-10 psi in the bags at all times.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming that it is a P32 chassis, the minimim in the front bags is 50 psi and maximum is 100 psi.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

I have read,front air bags have an effect on front end allignment when not inflatted,inside tire wear.
THERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great feedback. Thank you. I put 50 in the back and it has held for our maiden voyage up through the mountains in New Hampshire. I must have found a good spot as I didn't notice any rock and roll through the windy rutted roads up here. I will adjust once I hook the trailer up. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #8

you need to check the ride hight if you dont know how let me know
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERB View Post
I have read,front air bags have an effect on front end allignment when not inflatted,inside tire wear.
Anything, airbags included, that will change your ride height will have an effect on your alignment. If your bags are the main source of lift, aka no springs in the front, you would need to get it aligned at your standard pressure.

You should only add pressure to keep the height the same if for some reason the front were to have added weight.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote