Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First Class A Question

Hi all Im looking at a 38 foot 1995 Southwind is that too long for a starter Class A Motorhome it seems in good 110k km's on it shape fully safety inspected and E- tested the decals are a bit faded most tires are newer although Chinese it has a tag axel and a recent dealer refinished roof
Any comments would be appreciated
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope 38 ft is not too long. My first MH is a 42ft and since Feb. of 2013 no issues with length yet! Slow and steady, that how the learning goes! Take your time as you shop, don't fall in love with every great sounding deal you come across, there are plenty deals out there. We almost made a big $ blunder by rushing. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

If you've never RVed before 38' may be a bit of a steep learning curve, but depending on you confidence level, not that big a deal. My 2c worth. My 38' A is much easier to drive and park in a back-in RV site than my 30' 5th wheel was.
18 year old unit is going to have decal issues ; unless you find the one unit that's been parked in a garage it's whole life.
Tires are a big ticket item, a lot depends on how far you intend to travel with the unit right away. Price replacements and adjust any offer you make accordingly.
The mileage should not be an issue , provided the coach has had proper maintenance. Check for records of engine and trans oil changes, battery replacements, any and all work performed.
If the floor plan works for you and the price checks out with other units of that vintage, JMHO, go for it.
You didn't say what powertrain the coach has, that info , may get you more insite from othe iRV2 members.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club

Just like buying a house....

Don't let your emotions sway into making a purchase....

Don't buy the first one you come across.....

Inspect it thoroughly.... If you're not sure what you should be looking for, then ask a friend or someone who either has a drivable RV or at least a travel trailer. Those folks know from experience what to look for when it comes to pitfalls and that sort of thing.

Google is your friend... Read reviews, check message boards, sign up for a few of them, (like iRV2.com) and research into common problems with models, manufacturers, and systems.

RV's are similar in nature to automobiles, in the respect that there are plenty of them out there, in all different kinds of condition. Mileage... Age... How often it was used.... Any known mechanical problems, etc..... All those things are taken into account when making an offer on an RV, just like any other vehicle you purchase.

Good luck!
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I realize that this may be posting across different threads, but this is a VERY thorough RV checklist you can print off and fill out when you inspect it. It gives you lots of things to look at... even in areas you didnt think to look.

As a general rule of thumb... if the seller starts to get nervous when you pull this checklist out, I would walk away, and keep looking at other units.

Fortunately, every time we pulled out our 'clipboard', the seller was like, "Wow! Thats a pretty big checklist." One dealer asked where we found it, so that he could compare it with what their checklist was for servicing trade-in's coming into their inventory.

We used this checklist on every rig we looked at. Some of them looked great, and others didn't cut it. But if you're unsure of what to look for when you're shopping, this is a great place to start as a reference point.....

RV Inspection Checklist
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the info its a GM frame Im guessing as it has a 454 engine and power train the only unknown is the propane tank a bit rusty on the top.
I have been looking for the better part of the year for a Class A he is asking $12,500 or best offer and thats not to far off the NADA guide as an asking price. I was told it spent a lot of time Florida
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevilleRv View Post
Thanks for the info its a GM frame Im guessing as it has a 454 engine and power train the only unknown is the propane tank a bit rusty on the top.
I have been looking for the better part of the year for a Class A he is asking $12,500 or best offer and thats not to far off the NADA guide as an asking price. I was told it spent a lot of time Florida
Check the under carrage for rust/ rot , and crawl through all the compartments looking for signs of being in high water ( flood ).
If you buy a used RV, out of province or country, that has had a flood claim on insurance, you cannot re-register it to , my home province ( B.C.). Check with your local D.O.T. as to allowable rust penitration on a propane tank, and regulations on re-certification of the propane system; some times not required on private sales.
38' gasser, look for the weight info, might not have much in the way of CCC, cargo carrying capacity, with all those compartments and space , I'd want at least 2500lbs CCC. Brother-in-law had a 35' gas with 1600lbs CCC. and he was overloaded every time he hit the scales, no matter how he packed.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
I realize that this may be posting across different threads, but this is a VERY thorough RV checklist you can print off and fill out when you inspect it. It gives you lots of things to look at... even in areas you didnt think to look.

As a general rule of thumb... if the seller starts to get nervous when you pull this checklist out, I would walk away, and keep looking at other units.

Fortunately, every time we pulled out our 'clipboard', the seller was like, "Wow! Thats a pretty big checklist." One dealer asked where we found it, so that he could compare it with what their checklist was for servicing trade-in's coming into their inventory.

We used this checklist on every rig we looked at. Some of them looked great, and others didn't cut it. But if you're unsure of what to look for when you're shopping, this is a great place to start as a reference point.....

RV Inspection Checklist
If your new to this follow the check list, it'll help. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
our first motorhome a 37G winnebago adventurer, now we have a 38T adventuer, never had any problems, driving or parking.