Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 05:29 PM   #29

When I do big loops like you are doing i like to make the first full day of driving on the outbound or return leg to be the longest. 460-500 miles on the first day when your fresh will feel like 400-420 miles on your third day. When you start to get road weary it is nice to know you have a shorter day. If you are doing a fast loop, you can take in Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse fairly quickly. Check the gate closures for Yellowstone. I'm not sure when they close some of the gates for the season.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #30

That itinerary sounds like a nightmare to me. But to each their own.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I see you have a number of stops planned near attractions, i.e. Rushmore 1 day. Seems like you have not allowed any time to see the sights or smell the roses.

I do most of the driving when on a trip, we do longer portions when there is nothing to stop for but then stop and spend a couple days to sight see and relax.

My rig drives pretty good, I can drive 700 miles without breaking a sweat but we don't do that every day.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #32

We did a cross country from NC to CA the 2nd yr we had our class a Bounder. Hubby likes 350 driving range , we did more one night stays than I would have liked, the 2 nights or more was better, took us 2 months..was a great trip, next time more 2+ night stays
Sittib11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
This is to aggressive for me. I would plan on 325 to 375 days max. Plan on being at your RV park each night well before dark.

See the night show at Mt Rushmore if you can.

Good Luck, Jerry
Old 10-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #34

So ?

Can’t speak to whether you are crazy or not, but I think we all are a little. 380 miles in a day is a lot. 1000 over a week or two is no big deal.
tabsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #35

We just completed a trip from Atlanta, Ga. to Northern Cali. We found that driving from 8-9 in the morning until about 3-4 in the afternoon was long enough! Plus, I do NOT like driving at night, for a lot of reasons. So, usually about 400 miles per day was all we wanted to do. I did do one long 665 mile stint... NOT FUN! Only problem was planning fuel stops around Pilot/Flying J and finding safe, quick overnight stops. We Love Walmart when they let us stay there. We left Ga. with gas around $2.69/gal. and with our progression West, through each state, it just kept going up, Up, UP until California where it topped out at $4.50+/gal!! YIKES! Glad the RV is parked for 6 months! Safe Travels!
Rich 1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #36

That is a lot. Just relax and enjoy it. If you are harvest host member stay at Shakespeare Ghost Town in Lordsburg, NM.
Sorry about previous post. Thought you were going a lesser distance.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Doesn’t make sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
We have had our coach for 2.5 months, and the furthest we have gone is 380 miles in one day. We have a trip in 2 weeks that will be about 1,000 miles round trip, with the first leg at 420 miles. The 380 was a piece of cake, as my wife and I share the driving.

However, we have not embarked on a trip where we would be driving nearly every day, and I am looking for insights and advice. Rough trip plan for this Spring is below, but we haven't fully planned out our "on the road" stay overs yet.

We do have a bit of flexibility if things arise or we get slowed down - can add up to 3-days to the trip.

Is this too aggressive? Doable? Do most of you try to find campgrounds for the 1-nighters when in transit to your next destination, or do you go with Cracker Barrels, Harvest Hosts, etc.?

Trip Plan
• 412 miles Joshua Tree National Park 1-night
• 499 miles Lordsburg, NM 1-night
• 493 miles Sheffield, TX 1-night
• 442 miles Cypress, TX – 3-nights
• 409 miles Hot Springs, AR 1-night
• 365 miles Dover, TN – 2-nights
• 483 miles Chicago, IL 2-nights
• 571 miles Watertown, SD 1-night
• 422 miles Mt. Rushmore, SD 1-night
• 422 miles Yellowstone NP – 2-nights
• 516 miles Ely, NV 1-night
• 423 miles Home
• Total miles: 5,373
• Total nights: 16

Thanks in advance!
So….you drive seven hours or so driving from Watertown, SD to Mt. Rushmore, for instance, and then you’re going to do what? Visit the National monument, drive through Custer State Park, tour Wind Cave, have drinks and dinner in Deadwood (all of which could fill several days) and get up the next day and do it all again? Whew! I think you’re trying to do way too much driving and not enough enjoying.
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #38

In a word - YES

This a is an incredibly aggressive plan. With the schedule your laid out all you will experience is the world passing through the windshield. There will be no time to enjoy the parks/places you drive to. Without two nights in a location you can’t enjoy of the sights. About the only thing you will have accomplished is buying a LOT of fuel, pay for RV parks where you can pass out each night. The reason we own an RV is to enjoy the journey, the people and the attractions. Take the time to go to 1/4-1/3 of the planned stops. Or stay home and watch videos of the places you plan to drive by.
jpcovert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #39

Why not, go for it

Zzotte
Old 10-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we were young we would do those type of drives. Now it's no more than 5 hours a day, with about every stay 2+ nights.

A friend of ours dad took the the family on an epic trip from VA to CA and back in the mid 60's. He said when they got to the Grand Canyon. His dad said "That's One Big Hole in the Ground" and they got back in the car and took off. Now when we plan a trip and we are not taking our time we call it the hole in the ground trip.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
Says who? I would rather drive my motor home than my car any day! I find it relaxing, quiet, and very enjoyable. I’ve done as much as 650 miles in one day over 13 hours and felt fine. A typical day for me is 350 to 450 miles. And I’m 75.

I think the OP’s plan is quite doable.
Agreed. I am the same vintage and regularly do 500 plus on consecutive days for sporting events in which I also participate while juggling work.

But the real answer to the OP is that everyone is different and people age differently and have different bio rhythms. Some have good/adequate night vision while others should be declared legally blind at 50 for night driving. So if the OP has doubts, try and drive the plan and if it's not working, change it.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #42

Do it!

If you’ve got the driving chops, and understand the that you will see the roses but not smell them, go for it. When we were younger with kids along we would cram as much in the time we had for vacations. PA to Grand Canyon to Dinosauar NP to Yellowstone,things between then back home 12 days no problem. Now the wife and I are revisiting those places but giving ourselves the time to enjoy the things we missed while being the kids tour guides. Actually some trips now one or more of our adult(30’s) kids glomm onto our trips… Took one to NS and PEI, she flew back to NYC, we continued up to Newfoundland. You’ve got the wheels, I say use them. Don’t let the nay sayers whine at you. You’ll learn your own limits and will adjust accordingly. I’m not retired yet either, I’ll still do a 500mi day to get places. I’ll pull in to camp in the dark, maybe even leave when still dark. The only requirement I respect my wife’s wish’s to have a reserved site, NO PARKING LOTS/REST AREAS/BOONDOCK EVER. Happy Trails