Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I have taken several 1500 mile one way trips and find if I drive about 200 miles, plan a stop for lunch (in the coach) then about 200 miles to a planned overnight gets us in around 4:30 to 5 (just in time for dinner). I have done 500-550 in a day but it seems to make for a long day and I don't like to do the longer runs unless we are staying a couple of nights or so.
I always plan where stops will be including fuel. I have driven 750 miles once in a day but no thanks.
Are most of you driving solo, or does your wife pitch in? Although, I think I am more relaxed when I am driving. I will deny it if you tell her that 😄
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #16

Rexhall Owners Group
In the days before retirement, the wife and I would do as many as three 600 miles days in a row to get to our destination. We cruised at between 62 and 65 MPH, timed the trip to avoid big city rush hours, stopped every 3 hours to change drivers. The first and third stops were literally just long enough to change drivers. The second was always fuel stop only. Grabbed lunch on the go when not driving. Total time on the road was always between 11 1/2 and 12 1/2 hours. Sure we were tired by the end of the third day, but the next 2 or more days were sightseeing and didn't involve early mornings.

We stayed at CGs, but just leveled, put out slide and hooked up electric. Carried enough fresh water for quick showers every night. Dinner was usually something from the crock pot that cooked while on the road, quick shower and a program or two off a DVD. Still do the same while traveling, but the wife's arthritis has ended her driving days so it's just me driving. Mileage is down to 450 per day and a break every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to stretch. eat, etc. Even retired I'd rather fill most of a travel day on the road. But never more than three travel days in a row.

Our schedule isn't for everyone, but you might want to try it on a shorter trip to see how you do. Using the longer mileage per day would free up several days to spend seeing the sights if the driving schedule doesn't leave you too tired.

If you stop at Rushmore, take the time to visit the Crazy Horse monument . Better experience for me than Mt Rushmore. Safe travels.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I would not do this. Drving an rv is far more tiring than a car…
Says who? I would rather drive my motor home than my car any day! I find it relaxing, quiet, and very enjoyable. I’ve done as much as 650 miles in one day over 13 hours and felt fine. A typical day for me is 350 to 450 miles. And I’m 75.

I think the OP’s plan is quite doable.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
Says who? I would rather drive my motor home than my car any day! I find it relaxing, quiet, and very enjoyable. I’ve done as much as 650 miles in one day over 13 hours and felt fine. A typical day for me is 350 to 450 miles. And I’m 75.

You need a better car. LOL.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:31 PM   #19

As I read your question to the wife, all I got was a nope nope and nope. I get her to drive long enough to let me go to the bathroom (wont mention how we swap) so I try to keep it to about 6 hours no more then 3 days and then stay somewhere for a few
Old 10-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
That does sound ambitious for a trip, but I have never attempted one like that, so I can't say for sure.

This summer we did a trip of 600km (about 375 miles) in one day there, 6 day stay, and then one day back. That was pretty manageable with such a break between. I remember mentioning to the wife that I wouldn't want to do much more than another hour on the road, so that would have me tapping out around 450 miles. But I sure wouldn't want to do it multiple days in a row. And I personally wouldn't want to spend my whole vacation driving every day. By the time you get to your daily destination and set up camp, it's almost dark.

Again, that's just my feelings on the matter
The Ward Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I would not do this. Drving an rv is far more tiring than a car (add to that even g set up and morning breakdown). That long series of very long days will absolutely fry you, and probably leave you tired and not really driving safely. I would take each of your daily legs, and do them in two days each instead of one.

Fwiw...

Depends on the rv. Ours is a dream to drive. I’d sell it otherwise. Why own an rv that wears you out traveling? That’s what it’s for.

That being said, one night in the places they want to see doesn’t leave much time for sight seeing.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #22

First Cross Country Trip Plan - Am I Crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
You need a better car. LOL.

You need a better driving rv lol
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:09 AM   #23

We recognise those road warrior driving itineraries from years ago when the children were still in school and we were working full time. Some days/nights we'd do over a 1000 miles, just to be close to somewhere for when it opened in the morning so we could look see and then carry on further down the road afterwards often stopping late at night or early hours of the morning. Typically though after 2 or max 3 days driving we'd be at a target destination.

If you are young enough and trying to get a taster you can do it, but yes you will likely need a vacation to get over the vacation so to speak when you get home!

Nowadays hubby 64, we find 3 hours or so a day enough, sometimes much less. Just very odd days on the last leg heading home or first leg heading out do we do 7+ hours.

It's good you have an extra 3 days wiggle room, so you can change on the fly if need be. Don't drive tired whatever you do = Arrive alive!

Happy and Safe travels.

PS: We boondock or dry camp extensively so to us overnights at many different locations from stores to churches to marinas as well public lands were and are our comfort level for flexibility amongst other reasons.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:11 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a rule of thumb:

Two nights in a spot yields one day of sightseeing.

One night in a spot gives you little or no time to look around.

Just 2 cents
Old 10-17-2021, 01:23 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Way too aggressive schedule! You do NOT want to try to find campgrounds in the dark…..trust me.

Road construction and traffic is getting worse by the month, if the GPS says it’s a xx hour drive, it will end up being longer with the delays you will encounter usually.

Add my voice of reason to the others you have read here that say cut this in half……. Shorter drives, and longer stops.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #26

First Cross Country Trip Plan - Am I Crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post

Driving a big Class A is more stressful/tiring to me not because of how it handles (though if yours does not handle well, that adds a lot of stress), but rather because of the higher level of planning and mental monitoring of the environment that you need to constantly put out. Setting up and breaking down are cognitive shifts in mental "attitude" from driving. On the road, where and how are you going to stop for a break (MANY rest areas are closed, and if you are towing youcant back in at a truck stop like the trucks do). On the road you are constantly monitoring for obstacles in the road, trucks and cars merging (responsibly or not). Is your following distance to the vehicle in front of you sufficient, is traffic dead stopped in front of you (that DOES happen with zero warning), how tight are your side clearances in that narrow construction lane (especially with concrete barriers, is that truck coming up on you from behind keeping a straight line, or are they weaving out of their lane ... especially important to monitor when they are actually passing you (i recently had a truck enter a foot or more into my lane as they were passing me ... only reason they did not hit me was because i had a shoulder to shift over to), etc, etc.

In a car, for all of that, you have much more leeway. In a class a, the tolerances on all of those are much tighter, and requires a higher level of non-stop awareness. On a wide open road with no traffic and easy stop access the drive can be quite pleasurable. But that is not the reality of pushing these things down the road.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
You need a better driving rv lol
Spartan K3 with CS and active air management drives pretty good for a 25 ton coach, but no way it's as easy to drive as any of my vehicles.

But I get your point. Some coaches take less wear and tear on the driver than others.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #28

You better calculate weather in there as well. It's already snowing in Montana, has been for 2 weeks.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote