Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #1

First flat and dw driving.

My wife has been driving more these days due to my back issues. We had never had any tire mishaps before, but our driver side steer tire blew out yesterday while she was driving. We had just got off the interstate and on back road doing about 45 when the tire let loose. She handled it great, not braking until she had slowed enough and was able to get to side of road. She said she knew she had the blowout, but it was not at all hard to steer. The Michelin tire had just turned five years old. She is getting more and more experienced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegu View Post
My wife has been driving more these days due to my back issues. We had never had any tire mishaps before, but our driver side steer tire blew out yesterday while she was driving. We had just got off the interstate and on back road doing about 45 when the tire let loose. She handled it great, not braking until she had slowed enough and was able to get to side of road. She said she knew she had the blowout, but it was not at all hard to steer. The Michelin tire had just turned five years old. She is getting more and more experienced.

I’ll be the first to ask so you have a tire monitoring system?
Old 03-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Elon Musk doesn't have enough money to get my wife behind the wheel of our MH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

He could pay me but I’m not riding!
Old 03-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good for her, she did the job and got you safely stopped.

BTW, there is now way I could ever get my wife to drive the MH. All that glass makes her nervous.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Love the comment and I can vouch for my wife too. Never going to see her behind the wheel of our coach and its a small one too at 25 ft.

I would like to know if you have a TP monitoring system onboard and did you get a warning alarm. I just received a TST507 that I'm looking forward to using.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #7

A blow out won't produce advance warning unless you have a high temperature or low pressure issue occur prior to the failure.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #8

When we had a 32ft TT my wife said she would drive if she had too but not untill. One day I hurt my back and we were one day from home. She drove us home and said that was easy. When we got the MH we said she would drive it just to make sure she could. She doesn't drive but much but she says she can if she has to.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #9

No, we don’t have a monitoring system, it wasn’t like we were loosing pressure and I doubt that it was building. It just went “boom” and that was that. We’re going to need a new wheel cover, but no other damage that I can see.
As far as my wife driving the mh , she started off driving around the neighborhood and she had the tendency to drive to the right to the edge of the road. Then she would only drive the interstate, still too close to the edge. She now can drive those winding, hilly, narrow roads. She says she would rather drive the coach than my pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C7D9181-8B49-4434-80E8-20DE013474F0.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	360614  
Old 03-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Nor Mine
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good for her, she calmly got the coach slowed down and stopped. My sister always wanted to drive their Dp and learned to do it on flat sections of the highway. My wife is content to be the passenger. In an emergency, she could get it down the road for a short time.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I’ll be the first to ask so you have a tire monitoring system?
Just a heads up, but a TPMS won't help much with a blowout. They are great for slow leaks (like when you pick up a nail/screw) and overheating, and monitoring tire pressure, but a blowout is so fast the TPMS won't have time to react when it goes from full pressure to zero! (been there, done that four times, and never had a pre-blowout alert!)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:13 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Just a heads up, but a TPMS won't help much with a blowout. They are great for slow leaks (like when you pick up a nail/screw) and overheating, and monitoring tire pressure, but a blowout is so fast the TPMS won't have time to react when it goes from full pressure to zero! (been there, done that four times, and never had a pre-blowout alert!)
What causes a blow-out that is not detected? Defective tire?

Still new to RVing and have not experienced any tire incidents yet.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #14

Well Tegu,
Glad it all turned out well for you. And as far as the DW driving when it happened, GREAT for her! Not that I mean I'm glad it happened to her, I mean I'm glad she handled it just fine. My wife's been driving any and all our coaches for well over 35+ years. I even started the kids out at driving the RV's when they first got their license. I wanted EVERYONE to know how to handle those beasts, towing or not, just in case something would ever happen to me.

Guess what, something DID happen to me. I tweaked my back on a dumb-a$$ three wheeler in the sand dunes and by the time I got back to camp, I couldn't walk! The family and all the surrounding folks we were camping with helped loaded up for the trip home and to the doctor. The son, at 16 took care of the driving with our 34' Bounder and towing our 18' trailer with all the toys on it while the wife and daughter tended to my needs.

Without a doubt, training ALL of them to handle the big beasts was one of the best things I could do for all of them. As stated, the wifes taken the wheel of our coaches countless times to relieve me of driving fatigue. The daughter and son both have their own coaches/RV's and drive them like pros.

It never ceases to amaze me how many men won't teach their wife to handle their coach BEFORE any type of potential emergency could or would happen. I mean, if something were to happen to the male driver 200 miles from no where, what's she gonna do, sit there and watch you die!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's NOT the time for her to learn! Glad the OP's situation turned out as it did.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote