Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
First Long Distance Trip

We have had our Class A Gas powered since April 2017. Wintered over in Florida last year and took a couple of short trips. We took a 28 day 3700 mile trip last month and toured the National Parks in Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota. We planned the trip to spend about six hours on the road maximum and stay at parks near each location we wanted to explore. I located the RV Parks using Good Sam. We prepared some meals at camp sites and ate meals at local places. Lots of excellent small restaurants in all locations and very good and reasonable prices within the parks.
We did not plan our activities ahead. Once we got to a location we explored a bit and found activities we felt would give us more bang for the buck and allow us to see as much as we could. We did two tours, a floating raft trip down the Snake River and a Bus Tour of Glacier National Park. We also attended a Chuckwagon near Jackson Hole that was great food and an awesome Cowboy Music Show. Otherwise we just went to the different sights and hiked the trails. Yellowstone was very crowded but we found getting an early start we beat the crowds. Half of Glacier was closed due to a fire and the smoke limited our views. We did got up to Logan Pass before Sunrise one morning and got to see some wild life and take a hike to get better views of the Mountains. In Yellowstone we went on a Ranger Walk through the Norris Geyser Field and found it very informative and fun. Plus it was free. We saved quite a bit using our Lifetime Senior Pass I had gotten before the price went up.

We spent several days touring the Grand Teton Park, Yellowstone, and Glacier and then headed back East to the Black Hills. We stayed in Hill Top, SD and toured the sights from there. Saw Mount Rushmore, the Devils Tower, Badlands, and Custer State Park. All very interesting and a Beautiful area.

Came home Bus Omaha and stayed at Offutt Camp Ground. Visited a Navy Buddy for the weekend and he showed us around Omaha.

Awesome trip and well worth every cent we spent. Averaged 7.3 MPG and the “Beast” performed great. Some minor issues but nothing I could not correct.

Learned a lot on here before I left about driving in the mountains and took some advice to stay away from the difficult climbs like Teton Pass. Had some warnings from my Trucker Brother to be careful in windy Wyoming and quickly found that advice to be valuable. Was quite the adventure to be driving at 65 and get passed like I was standing still. 80 MPH speed limits on Interstates and 70 MPH on two land country roads. Saw some RV folks driving those high speeds but I would me feel safe at those speeds. Made sure I did not hold anyone up and several times pulled over to allow traffics to pass.

Really enjoyed our trip and feel my investment in our RV is a good one. I really appreciate the discussions on here and the friendly assistance we always find in an RV Park. Looking to go North into Canada next year and across and back down through New England.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're getting the bug and you've just started. Happy trails.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Sounds like a perfect RV trip! Glad it went well for you. Thanks for the report. Did you tow another vehicle behind the MH? I didn’t see a mention of that.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

John & George: WOW, that's what I called a well planned trip! Are you accepting new customers??
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote