Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
First long trip jitters

Leaving Monday on our first long trip (Texas to Pennsylvania). We have had the coach since November and have taken a half dozen trips within the state of Texas. We were pulling a car hauler, but just had the pickup set up to tow 4 down with an SMI AF1 and blue ox tow bar by a reputable shop. Truck towed fine on the way home.

Last week had the full PM by freightliner and they said everything looks great.

Tires look great visually, but are now 5 years old. My plan is to change them next year.

So overall, things should be good, but I am starting to get nervous. I know we are planning to drive too far each day (~400-450 miles), but no choice this trip. I am an early riser and think we can get on the road by 6am each day. That gets us off the road from 4-5pm (still daylight).

Looking forward to retirement in a few years when we can slow down a little bit.

Just looking for a little reassurance.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Monty

Your first long trip is going to be fine. It seem you have taken a lot of things into consideration. We all get the jitters the first time. 400 miles a day is not that hard. Take breaks and enjoy the scenery.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Sounds like you're all set and ready to have some fun. The days are long but as non-retired folk that's what we have to do to fit these trips in. Take your time, take some breaks and you'll do just fine. Enjoy your trip.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Just did a 2000 mi trip, just enjoy the drive, be careful, stop when you are tired, take a short nap if you need to, drink lots of water. Have fun!
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Understand your apprehension on the trip. Have owned a motorhome for ~19 years and still have the same feeling before the trip but after we are on the road it goes away.

Also understand the time crunch. When working had to do the same thing, made many trips to northern WI from TN and back. Tried to always take 2 weeks but sometimes forced to do it in a week.

Do the best you can and try to relax. Sounds like you've done all you could be make sure the coach is ready, now it's time to enjoy your efforts.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We just finished our maiden voyage 1700 miles. All went well. Except for the funny little stuff the road throws your way. No matter what time, how early, we started our day I swear we couldn't arrive earlier than 7-8pm! So that's our little joke. DH is like a long haul driver. He doesn't have to stop very often except to fill the bus and his tank!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Enjoy the drive, all is well !!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So far our runs have just been short but hoping that too changes as I'd love to drive from SD to TX. Being from a small town, what worries me more than the long drive is heavy traffic in big cities.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #9

Pexring,
Here's a hint about large cities, look for the highway signs that say Truck Route. Usually less traveled, and will take you around the city. Also the Loop roads, although longer, may provide some traffic relief.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pexring

I spend a lot of time with google maps ahead of the trip looking for routes that help me avoid big cities.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #11

I know the feeling. I used to ship horses commercially mostly up and down the east coast, once a year to Calgary. Now we have our new to us CC and I get nervous at the start of each trip, not sure why. The most you can do is prepare, plan and be ready. You sound prepared mechanically, have a plan to where you are going and are ready for most anything that could come your way. Usually the first hour or two I am upright in seat until I get in the "groove". That's when I usually can sit back and let her ride and relax. Rain or traffic, back it down and always leave plenty of room in front. I am sure I am not telling you anything you don't know but that's my method. Have a fun and safe trip! Pa here too!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
First long trip jitters

Don't stress too much, you have properly planned, enjoy the trip, that is why we do this, smell the roses, and when you can back down from the daily miles, that adds stress. The real reason to have these rigs is to have FUN and enjoy life and see this country.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With all the prep work and prior use since purchase the jitters will probably be gone by mile 250 of day. Do a pre-drive each day as added insurance. Power train fluids, tire pressure and such.

The entertaining posts are of those who just purchased their first (used) coach and are headed out on a three month adventure in two days to crisscross the country and are wondering what they need to check and if they really need an ERMS subscription.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #14

You'll be fine.. here are the two things I ask my GF before every trip.. long or short..

Credit card -----> Check
Cell Phone -------> Check

We'll be fine !!!

Relax and enjoy the ride !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote