Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

First MH shopping advice

My DH and I have been researching MHs and hope to purchase our first one in the spring. If you could give us one piece of advice, what would it be?
DeannaBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #2

Well best advice I can give is know yourselves and how you plan to use it.

If you want some more, look at how different ones are built, and take factory tours if possible. Look for what corners if any have been cut. Think how/where you will get things fixed when they are broken.

Tom
Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

A tough but fun question. Tough because there are so many choices to cover so many different needs and tastes. I am assuming you are considering a Class A because of the forum where the question is posted. Ok now...New or Used? I bought my coach used so I'll take that route and my one piece of advice would be to have it inspected by an independent shop, preferably one familiar with whatever chassis the coach you are considering is based upon, example, Freightliner, Spartan, Ford. But even if you have experience with MH's, an independent inspection is invaluable on a used coach.
Good luck...happy searching. Above all....enjoy it!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Well for me the main thing was being able to service a motor without taking it into a shop. The inside I left it to the BH so when it comes to $150 an hr for service, that is a big deal. When you open the back you should see more than a radiator, like a motor so that means a side radiator. They are built on a bus style chassis. It took me about 2min to change the serpentine belt, if I hand a rear radiator it may have taken 3hr.
Everyone has there must haves and that was mine.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #5

For a first time owner my advice is to buy an older (10+ year old) higher quality coach. High quality coaches have features like full body paint, fiberglass or aluminum roofs, solid wood cabinet work, ....

The reasoning is these coaches have already taken the big initial depreciation hit, and while the value on them will continue to decrease, the rate is much slower. With a new, or even recent model used coach you can see depreciation rates measured at a thousand dollar per month or more vs a fraction of this on a 12-15 year old coach.

This way if you buy it and decide after a year or so that either RV ownership is not for you, or that you have found you bought the wrong coach, you can resell it and are not out that much money.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:28 AM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
For a first time owner my advice is to buy an older (10+ year old) higher quality coach. High quality coaches have features like full body paint, fiberglass or aluminum roofs, solid wood cabinet work, ....

The reasoning is these coaches have already taken the big initial depreciation hit, and while the value on them will continue to decrease, the rate is much slower. With a new, or even recent model used coach you can see depreciation rates measured at a thousand dollar per month or more vs a fraction of this on a 12-15 year old coach.

This way if you buy it and decide after a year or so that either RV ownership is not for you, or that you have found you bought the wrong coach, you can resell it and are not out that much money.
Yup. WISE WORDS!
10 or even a 15 year old upper limit high quality coach will do you a good job without breaking the bank.
Your 1st coach will be a real learning experience... You will find out if RV'n is for you,what features really work and most importantly what layout/features Do not fit the bill..
Your 2nd coach (hopefully) will be the one that you "Get It Right"
Our 1st coach was a Thor/Four Winds Infinity 34H..454 gasser (35'8" length).
(Our current coach is our 2nd coach & is our "Forever Coach"
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

Each of you spend at least 100 hours on this message board reading topics and posting questions you have. The free knowledge you get here is priceless. And I'm not even trying to be a cliche dork. It really is priceless. There is no better time you can spend getting educated on RVs than reading and learning from those that already have them.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask each sales person what RV they own and where do they go with it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't be in a hurry to buy something. Look at as many floor plans and models as you can. Look at other RV's/ trailers as well. You may decide to go in a totally opposite direction. We were looking at TT's in the 35' range on and off for almost 3 years. Couldn't find anything we really liked. Totally switch direction and bought a 38' class A in June. Loving it so far ! Good luck and welcome! Great folks in here with tons of great experience.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post

Exactly what we did and we had a budget and paid cash. We bought a 2002 American Eagle. My wife is not a camper so we weren’t sure the lifestyle of full timing would be for us. 5 years later we are in the same coach, 100,000 miles later and looking for our second coach. You did not specify full timing, but I think the “budget and cash” idea is true for non-full timers.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Each of you spend at least 100 hours on this message board reading topics and posting questions you have. The free knowledge you get here is priceless. And I'm not even trying to be a cliche dork. It really is priceless. There is no better time you can spend getting educated on RVs than reading and learning from those that already have them.
+1 This.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

Test drive! Don't buy something that needs handling fixes, more power, or that feels unsafe at highway speeds.

A good motorhome should be just as stable and confidence inspiring on the road as a good SUV. Help raise the bar for all RVs, don't buy one that drives like a pig.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Step one would be to decide what the budget will stand and don't over-extend yourself! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my opinion having purchased our first rv, see signature. These turned out to be all important and they are listed in no particular order.

1. Read lots of information on sites such as this and many others.

2. Buy used and buy a higher quality unit vs. new and a lower quality unit.

3. Buy your 3rd rv first. Over reach on what you think you may want as the additional amenities and quality will be very nice once you hit the road.

4. Don't be swayed by apparently new fangled things that add very little to the living experience.

5. Spend some time sitting in rvs and try to envision how the floor plan and storage will meet your needs.

6. If shopping for used take your time. Make a few lowball offers on units that you like in order to test the waters and see for real what price units will actually sell for.

7. Have fun with the experience. Don't get too stressed out.

Tags
advice