Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #15

Thank you Former Boater , I had no idea they could go that long , I wasn't going to come back to this site , but you have giving me some faith in the site again , thank you
alwayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #16

I would change it @ 5k and get rid of all the assembly lubes, fresh Filters to (oil & fuel) cheap insurance (JMO)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #17

Thank you Camper boy I did do that I thought I was doing everything right , Since I paid cashed for the rig $229,000 and hand it delivered to me for reasons I fell is none of your business, I didn't get my walkthrough I really want to take good care of it but I can see I will get no support from you or any good suggestion. My husbands was CHP for 35 years and I was proud of how he conducted his self in and out of inform always a gentleman Enough said you have a wonderful day Camper
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #18

Oh My Dmttransport you have one of the most luxury motorhomes on the market, I Do know about the filters and changing them out, I think you gave me the answer, thank you for your answer and time Stay Safe on the well traveled roads of life
Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #19

Thanks Jimmy T I that is the first things I did before the NEW rig was delivered to me from UT , Fully insured and replacement cost all threw Good Sam road with it. When a person can pay cash for something like this you want to take good care of It that is one reason that I got a diesel , I really thought I would get some good answers here , But thank you for your time
Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #20

Thank you Old Scout , like I said before due to personals reasons I couldn't got get the motorhome in UT I have a disabled family member that needs 24/7 care. I total agree with you and I have taken steps to have a walk thru with a new friend that has been RV for years , He and his wife have been very kind to me I hope down the road I can be as kind to someone one as they have me , I try to play it forward every day of my life , Safe Travels
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #21

Thank you R T Home, , I really didn't think this asking a question would lead to all this , but I will find me a good service center and have my walk thru late then I can ask questions and get a full answer not saying what you have suggested is wrong. I have put 2,000 on the first time out and just wanted to know when I should take it in for service and is there a brake in time with the oil. I should have ask a trucker at one of the many stops I have used and could have gotten more insight on how the engine works , thank you for your suggestion stay safe
Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #22

Thank you NHRA225 WOW your a real gem of a person . thanks for your suggestion
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #23

Thank you J Monore that is a very good suggestion and I shell do that , Most have been very useful suggestion and I think you that really wanted to help me , May you ride with the wind to your back at all times And have good Karma Stay Safe
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #24

Last September I purchased a 2007 Holiday Rambler that only had 6000 miles on the odometer. It was a repossession and most likely the original owners not only couldn't make the payments they couldn't afford to use it very much. We had it checked out by an RV shop for the coach and an International dealer (MotorTrucks in Mount Vernon WA) for the engine and chassis because I was concerned about the lack of use and deterioration of seals, etc. The checkout was successful - there were only a few things needed such as I replaced 7+ year old tires with lots of tread and had the roof seams re-taped and sealed but nothing unexpected.

Before going on a 10+ week 6000 mile trip the rig was serviced by MotorTrucks. Mainly an engine oil change, fuel filter and chassis lubrication, etc. I plan to have it serviced again before heading south in the winter. There are fluids, other than engine oil that may need draining and refilling such as coolant and trans fluid that I am concerned with. Before going to arrange for the annual service I would appreciate any comments concerning coolant, tranny fluid and other lube requirements. The original fluids (except engine oil) only have 12,000 miles but they are 7 years old. I wonder if samples can be pulled and sent to a lab for analysis and/or inspection? Or if they should be replaced?

I picked up a serpentine belt and I think that I will get extra fuel filters as backup.

The keep the door open arm failed and I had to replace it - $118 plus ~$20 S&H from Monaco (or whatever they are called) in Cogburn Oregon. Judging by the number of people who have posted problems with the swing arm assay I am going to have the old one reworked by Randall (in another thread) for about $45 and carry it for when the replaced arm fails. RV manufacturers must like repeat spares business - another profit center.

As far as the OP not having the time to read the manual, I can understand that but I found that first of all a quick review of the table of contents and finding items of immediate interest. Then when on our trip (also at home) I would pull the manual out and focus on a particular subject and it is an eyeopener when compared to the manuals for a car or pickup truck. It is a good thing to be as familiar as possible with the rig as possible.

The rig came with a multitude of other instructions (appliances, slides, furniture, etc) but there was not much in regard to the audio/video system. Everything was stuffed in a 'neat' file box that I replaced with two ring binders - one for items installed the coach for day to day operation and one for options and add ons

The pioneer in dash radio/Amplifier/cd player, dvd player came with pathetic instructions. I found an online manual but I don't like 150 page PDF manuals and it woud take forever to print. I found a source (ebay) for printed manuals and I will order one soon.

Lee
Old 07-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #25

Thanks Steve , I thought all men ( with a motorhome ) would have the answers to the question and I thought I was in the right spot to get it I thought there was only two diesel engine made in the states for motorhomes and I thought when I said Fleetwood men would know what I was talking about, GOOD GOD I thought a lot and I guess a lot of all wrong, IF and when I post again I will be more careful thank you for your time Speaking of men where are all the women that have the answers , I am sure they know something's Lets hear for some women LOL thank you again Steve
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayson View Post
Oh My Dmttransport you have one of the most luxury motorhomes on the market, I Do know about the filters and changing them out, I think you gave me the answer, thank you for your answer and time Stay Safe on the well traveled roads of life
Old 07-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #27

I should have said that I did look over the manual several times on the road and at home and guess I wasn't looking in the right place, Silly me I was looking under Service or how and when to service your RV Who knew I would be the one to receive so much negative comments, I always had the impressions that RV where a friendly type ..... I am very grateful to the gentlemen that gave good suggestions and the others Well Karma has a funny way of coming back Blessing to all the kind people out there in RV land
Old 07-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi there! I am a woman whose coach has a Cummins engine. The very best thing I did was to attend a Freightliner class. They built the chassis for mine. Over a 2 day class I learned so much it was unreal! Also got a handy dandy book about an inch wide that covers everything I need to know about maintenance including the engine. There are checkoff sheets covering the 6 month, 12 month, 24 and etc service. These maintenance schedule sheets are available on Freightliner's website. It is worthwhile if you could go for 2 days because the class covers everything you need to know including showing you where things are on the chassis such as the lanyards you need to pull every so often to expel water out of the air system. My class book is a quick reference book that stays in the coach. Maybe you could find someone to care for your family member long enough to go. Good luck!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel