Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #15

My opinion, Tiffin.

Also there are some real good deals to be had on gas coaches that are only a year or two old. Look at Winnebago and Itasca too. They make a solid gas coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #16

From a lot of personal experiences I've read on forums, I would not be looking at the current Thor products myself. For us right now, gas is great!

Look at used. If you can afford a used Tiffen, that is indeed a good bet. Really though, Just find one of any brand that you like the floor plan of and has been taken care of. You can usually tell pretty quickly how well the house portion is made by opening some drawers. Pretty much all of the modern engines are going to be quite reliable and good for well over 100k miles.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, the Thor opponents are making waves again. This is such an odd thing.
Thor is currently America's #1 Motorhome maker, selling 1 of every 5 Motorhomes nationwide. And, these negative posts come from those that do not own a Thor (or Damon or Four Winds) and the comments are often based on limited contact, old experiences, or the experiences of someone else...

Like my "favorite" was a post that accused all Thor motorhomes of being built using particle board cabinets, tin for the basement bins and the cheapest appliances - None of which is true. Thor uses solid wood in all cabinetry, Roto-molded composite and/or steel sheet bin boxes on steel frames and industry standard appliances.

There are threads on iRV2 about new owners having problems getting warranty repairs on punch-lists, but those are very often problems at the dealer with back-logs and such - and common to all brands.

Besides the negative posts there are also many threads from owners that are having a great experience with their Thor motorhome.
Like: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...es-139997.html

Don't "drink the Kool-Aid" and assume that any brand RV is automatically better than another...especially used ones. Do your homework, look inside the cabinets, inside the bins and take a test drive...and you can even come back and ask for opinions from those who have a similar one that you like.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #18

First of all I have no dog in this fight as I have had both an excellent gas coach and now an excellent DP, nor do I have any direct experience with any thing but Tiffin.
In general though the heavier chassis of the FRED will handle better and have a smoother ride on the highway. The V10 has plenty of power but is quite noisy on inclines. We often hit 5K on the longer steeper climbs. I don't know how the FRED compares but I would assume less noisy due to the lower RPM.
We purchased both our coaches new for various reasons but I would have no qualms about a 2008 Tiffin if it has good maintenance records and all recalls done, especially the fridge. Being new to RVs I would get an extended warranty at least until you feel comfortable with your own repairs. I'm fairly handy but still carry an extended warranty.
As someone mentioned, the floor plan is one of the most important factors but not necessarily the only one to consider. Look at the amenities offered on both coaches and how each one feels when you first walk in. Which one feels more like a home and which one feels more like you would be camping.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #19

How and where you use the rig should play into your decision. Diesels are more costly to use and or repair should something go awry. Gas will be louder on inclines and the ride not as cushy. Diesel fuel is .30-.50 cents a gallon more than unleaded but you will get slightly better mileage. If you are only going to be a weekend warrior with an odd longer trip each year the gas may be the better route. Conversely, diesel gets you the durability, power and ride comfort for extend touring. I've found that the amenities of a diesel coach are also much nicer than gas rigs, if that is important. I own a 2011 gas because that and its floor plan is what works for my wife and I. Should we continue into the lifestyle upon retirement where our use should increase considerably their is no doubt in my mind it would be time to "move up" to a nice 36-38ft diesel rigs, used of course! Good luck on your search.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
How and where you use the rig should play into your decision. Diesels are more costly to use and or repair should something go awry. Gas will be louder on inclines and the ride not as cushy. Diesel fuel is .30-.50 cents a gallon more than unleaded but you will get slightly better mileage. If you are only going to be a weekend warrior with an odd longer trip each year the gas may be the better route. Conversely, diesel gets you the durability, power and ride comfort for extend touring. I've found that the amenities of a diesel coach are also much nicer than gas rigs, if that is important. I own a 2011 gas because that and its floor plan is what works for my wife and I. Should we continue into the lifestyle upon retirement where our use should increase considerably their is no doubt in my mind it would be time to "move up" to a nice 36-38ft diesel rigs, used of course! Good luck on your search.
I'm surprised you mention durability of the DP's. Rarely does one see 500,000 mile coaches let alone anything over 100,000 miles. Gas powered coaches are just as durable for the majority of people. If anything it's the house and equipment built on to the chassis that is the problem. Personally I would rather maintain the "less" durable gas engine any day. TEHO.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #21

I too looked at the 30.2 for the same reasons you described, and a few other brands for months, but in the end, I went with the 30.1. Look at the 30.2 closed. The bunks are only half exposed to the front of the coach. Its cool how they engineered the pass through bathroom doors around that problem, but it basically divides the motorhome in half when driving down the road.

Bunks are cool, and they're long enough so the kids can grow into them, whereas the 30.1 has a table and couch that make into a bed, however the main drawback to both are that there are armrests and backrests that limit the length of the occupant.

My previous motorhome also had the triton motor, but in spite of it being a 24' class C, seemed to be slightly underpowered towing a 16' enclosed trailer full of toys. So far, I feel adequate power, but will probably chip it, and spend another grand or so on handling and steering aftermarket stuff.

I do have a punch list and haven't been back to the dealer yet. The things are minor, but they do slap these things together. well see if everything gets fixed. so far, I'm happy.
fishinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #22

Thor = BAD, BAD, BAD stay away.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hello just my 2 cents not worth much. I am 2 new to this rving thing but at the first of 2013 me and my DW bought a used 2003 Tradewinds 37' D/P and went through it pretty good but on our first trip not 100 miles from home the TCM went out left out in the middle of nowhere. The mechanics had to come out take off the part take it back reprogram a new one bring it back and installed it $4800 later. We now have a new 2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1 with a 300hp D/P and just put 4000 miles on with not one issue. With my limited experience with rv's I have come to learn that with new or used you will have some issues. I love the floor plan of the Palazzo and have heard good and bad. I will not give up the smooth ride of the D/P. What ever you decide on please have a good warranty.
pete davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #24

dezolen, agreed that no one uses their DP for 500K miles. However, you will hear the die hard DP enthusiast tell you that exact thing. Also agree it is the house portion of the motor home where things wear out or there will be a problem with new out of the box. Except for the high end rigs, many of systems like heat and ac, fridge, electronics and so forth are just about the same mfg. to mfg.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #25

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I was an IDIOT for buying a Thor Palazzo!!!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ce-186432.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ty-141107.html

Unfortunately, NO coach maker is above build issues. Even high end MHs have to go back to be repaired within the first year. Also, I know that you typically only hear the horror stories but there just seem to be a lot of them around the Thor badge. Those new slide motors seem to be causing a stir...
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #26

fish, the V10 in the class C is not the same engine used in a class A. Today, a class A rated V10 is 362 hp while the 10 in a class C is rated at 315 hp, which is the same engine one would get in a Ford pick-up. I think I read somewhere that Ford has 4 different versions of the V10 and the application will determine which one you will have. Also have heard that the end is near for this engine, to be possibly replaced by a smaller Ecoboost model.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler52 View Post
Thor = BAD, BAD, BAD stay away.
...and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler52 View Post
I have a 2006 Crescendo. Anyone what to buy it? I'll never even get close to owning another Goof Stream. Real JUNK
WOW, seems there's a lot of junk out there

Of course these statements can not be factual...
~Thor makes Airstream and Coleman Campers among it's 14 brands of towables, then there's the wide variety of Motorhomes made by TMC.
~Gulf Stream makes a 20 product lines with TT's to 5er's plus all classes of Motorhomes.

My RV from Thor is GOOD, GOOD, GOOD - Love it!
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
...and...

WOW, seems there's a lot of junk out there

Of course these statements can not be factual...
~Thor makes Airstream and Coleman Campers among it's 14 brands of towables, then there's the wide variety of Motorhomes made by TMC.
~Gulf Stream makes a 20 product lines with TT's to 5er's plus all classes of Motorhomes.

My RV from Thor is GOOD, GOOD, GOOD - Love it!
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

Safe travels
From the OP on that link you provided:

"As far as the craftsmanship of the coach, I find it to be directly in line with the cost and although it was built with using expensive materials, I have learned to treat it with care and a gentle touch."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thor makes tons of RVs and I think is the number one manufacturer right now? That's great that you have had a positive trouble free experience with your Damon. They have the reputation that they have, you just gotta live with it. It may very well be deserved even though you had no problems with yours.

My family had a Chevy Vega back in the 70s. We had no serious problems with it but that didn't mean it was a great model. Nor did it mean all Chevys were garbage.

There is a lot of junk out there and it is usually on its way from the factory to the dealer waiting on an owner to get the problems sorted out.

Tags
class a, diesel, gas, thor, tiffin