RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Whlsdn,

It makes a lot of sense to us and we're trying to do just that. We are looking for a gently used older DP right now (we are in our mid-30's) because we know that with proper care and maintenance that we can get lots of use for quite a few years based on our ability to get away and travel.
Good thinking! I wish we had begun there.
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the insight. After speaking with my wife, I think we are in agreement that a 2nd slide is a nice to have, but not a deal breaker.

That is a good point about the basement doors that I didn't think about. Maybe I'll have to focus on using the storage not on the slide side...
Presently, we have the largest bedroom we've had in an RV, and we love it...even if we aren't in that room all day. At our age, though, we do nap more often than we used to!

As for slides over basement doors, they can be a real pain in the back for someone my age who mistreated his back in earlier years. Our last DP had slides only on the utility side, so accessing the campsite of the rig was indeed less painful. However, I would not by choice go back to the more restrictive living space. Ducking under slides might be no bother at all at your age!
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Don,

Thanks for the reply. We aren't interested in a trailer. The thought is, while not technically the safest, that if little one gets upset, needs a diaper changed, is hungry, etc., we don't have to stop driving, while also providing the wife room to operate.

As for gas, I'm not totally opposed, but the research I've done here doesn't really show that maintenance on a gasser is that much cheaper due to frequency. Are there not plenty of people that have had good luck using a DP every 30-60 days for at least 3 or 4 days at a time, and a total of 45-60 days per year? The whole point in a DP is comfort, mileage, longevity of the motor, and the awesome features. The point in a 2002-2006 DP is that they are mostly at the bottom of the depreciation curve, affordable, and if maintained properly can be sold for a much smaller loss. A gasser will steadily depreciate, even more so based on mileage.

Everything I've read points me in direction of a DP over a gasser. Maybe I'm wrong, but you're the first to recommend against this on this thread, so just wondering why?

Thanks for your response and insight.
I think you are totally correct. The DP is superior in so many ways that it is well worth the mostly moderate increase in maintenance cost. The only reason to get a gasser is if you just cannot afford or justify the cost of a DP. You seem to be convinced that you can handle the cost of a DP so go for it.

To give a counter point to what was said above, my wife would not have coach without a washer/dryer. Period. And although it is admittedly not the safest thing to do, she regularly makes lunch while we are on the highway. Different strokes for different folks.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think you are totally correct. The DP is superior in so many ways that it is well worth the mostly moderate increase in maintenance cost. The only reason to get a gasser is if you just cannot afford or justify the cost of a DP. You seem to be convinced that you can handle the cost of a DP so go for it.

To give a counter point to what was said above, my wife would not have coach without a washer/dryer. Period. And although it is admittedly not the safest thing to do, she regularly makes lunch while we are on the highway. Different strokes for different folks.
While we realize it isn't necessarily the safest, we will be traveling with a young child (currently 10 weeks) on our adventures. There are definitely going to be some calming moments on the couch. I'm also sure I'll need the wife to make me a cup of coffee every now and again as well

In regard to the washer/dryer, we don't plan to be constantly washing, but with a baby, it's kind of a must. And as the old saying goes, happy wife=happy life.
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whlsdn View Post
Presently, we have the largest bedroom we've had in an RV, and we love it...even if we aren't in that room all day. At our age, though, we do nap more often than we used to!

As for slides over basement doors, they can be a real pain in the back for someone my age who mistreated his back in earlier years. Our last DP had slides only on the utility side, so accessing the campsite of the rig was indeed less painful. However, I would not by choice go back to the more restrictive living space. Ducking under slides might be no bother at all at your age!
We are looking at a little bit of everything right now. Upon the research and great insight on this website, we are concerned with getting a quality coach with a floor plan that works for us. Going as old as we are looking, I want to make sure we get a quality product with features and a name that will sell 5-10 years down the road if need be.

We are a bit younger. I think we will learn lots of lessons with the first one. I'm obviously hoping we buy a great one for the first to avoid a costly trade-in. A lot of what we are looking at involves where we can put all of baby boy's stuff
Old 03-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #62

We have two slides and if we had to get rid of one, we'd keep the bedroom slide. There's just the two of us, and the benefit of having a full wardrobe instead of cubbies outweighs a little more elbow room in the living area. No bedroom slide would be a dealbreaker, but that's just us. <g>
rv7630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #63

Quote:
We are looking at a little bit of everything right now. Upon the research and great insight on this website, we are concerned with getting a quality coach with a floor plan that works for us. Going as old as we are looking, I want to make sure we get a quality product with features and a name that will sell 5-10 years down the road if need be.

We are a bit younger. I think we will learn lots of lessons with the first one. I'm obviously hoping we buy a great one for the first to avoid a costly trade-in. A lot of what we are looking at involves where we can put all of baby boy's stuff
I don't know if it will impact you but many rv parks have a 10 yr old rv limit
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I don't know if it will impact you but many rv parks have a 10 yr old rv limit
I have read some of that on here. I also hear that it is very subjective. The current coach we are looking at looks almost new. It will certainly be a question I ask when making reservations. Our longer trips will be to see the parents for now. Having both of them install 50 amp plug-ins for us now

I think there are usually some pretty good options that won't restrict a rule like that. We won't be pulling up in a gasser that looks like it's been through hell and back.

We currently have an offer in and inspection scheduled. Buyer has accepted. After all the T's are crossed and I's dotted, we'll certainly let everyone know.

This forum is so amazing! Thanks everyone for the continued insight and advice! We're excited for our adventure to begin!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #65

Quote:
I have read some of that on here. I also hear that it is very subjective. The current coach we are looking at looks almost new. It will certainly be a question I ask when making reservations. Our longer trips will be to see the parents for now. Having both of them install 50 amp plug-ins for us now

I think there are usually some pretty good options that won't restrict a rule like that. We won't be pulling up in a gasser that looks like it's been through hell and back.

We currently have an offer in and inspection scheduled. Buyer has accepted. After all the T's are crossed and I's dotted, we'll certainly let everyone know.

This forum is so amazing! Thanks everyone for the continued insight and advice! We're excited for our adventure to begin!
Excited for you! I hope the coach turns out to be everything you want it to be. Let us know!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
Excited for you! I hope the coach turns out to be everything you want it to be. Let us know!
Thank you Ed! For our price point, we stretched higher than we wanted to, but with what we found, it seemed like a no brainer! The price was certainly right, from a private party, him and his wife are through traveling, very candid on the phone. We shall see what the inspection report shows, but I think it will just confirm what the pictures and conversations have showed; a high quality coach well cared for.

Excited to start the adventure! Now comes the fun "tinkering"
Old 03-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #67

Hambone,

You seem to have found what you were wishing for and I congratulate you and you family. May you have many great adventures and I truly admire the fact you want to take your young family out and have great learning experiences. Most of us do this backwards and slave away all our lives to earn some money and be able to do the things we always wanted. Then we often find our health is not as great as we would like and must make some sacrifices. You are getting out when you have the health and children who will learn fabulous life lessons. When you reach “retirement age” you will have wonderful memories of the “road” to share with grandchildren.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
Hambone,

You seem to have found what you were wishing for and I congratulate you and you family. May you have many great adventures and I truly admire the fact you want to take your young family out and have great learning experiences. Most of us do this backwards and slave away all our lives to earn some money and be able to do the things we always wanted. Then we often find our health is not as great as we would like and must make some sacrifices. You are getting out when you have the health and children who will learn fabulous life lessons. When you reach “retirement age” you will have wonderful memories of the “road” to share with grandchildren.
I second that one!!!