Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

First Timer

I'm wanting to buy a DP here in the very near future. Have my mind set on one but before laying out that kind of money, we decided to rent one for summer vacation first. I have the itinerary all laid out and reserved, coach is reserved, insurance taken care of. The rental company will run me through using the coach which takes a couple of hours.

Being a rookie, what sort of "pearls of wisdom" can you guys offer me in the ways of do's and don'ts?

Thanks
Jay
rex-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

A. Bring wine
B. Take your time, it's not a car.
C. Work with significant other on hand signals for backing up. Yelling back and forth doesn't work.
D. Did I mention wine?
E. Relax, it's easier than you first think.

View the Lazy Days videos here. Lazydays Driver Confidence Course: Driving An RV From Dream to a Reality - betterRVing! Experience better RVing.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Good idea renting first,just watch turns and backing up there is a lot more back end swinging around. Going forward is not harder than driving a car have fun.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #4

I remember my first rental: a super "c". Wife hated it...but here I am a couple years later on my second rv and we love it. Enjoy the drive and don't rush anything. Bring some crown royal.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Bring duct tape, digital voltmeter, WD40, and a basic tool box for on the spot fixes.

Outdoor chairs for everyone. GPS is nice.

Make turns slowly and carefully until you know how it handles.

If a gas rig with long rear overhang, consider your tail swing in turns. The side mirrors are your friend.

Look UP!

Your rig will be higher than an car and things lurk up there.

Have fun...
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

Great advice so far, keep it coming. I'm pretty excited about going and hope the "Ministry of Finance" is on board with this after the trip is done.

Jay
rex-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Remember that travel time will usually be significantly increased over car travel, so plan accordingly. Try to get to your camping destination well before dark so you can set up in daylight. Other campers will usually be more than happy to help you if you run into a problem.

Oh...and DO NOT leave the black tank dump valve open. In fact, leave the dump valves closed until you are ready to dump. Dump the black first, then the gray. Put a few gallons of fresh water back into the black tank to prevent the "Pyramid of doom" from forming.

Have fun!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-racer View Post
Great advice so far, keep it coming. I'm pretty excited about going and hope the "Ministry of Finance" is on board with this after the trip is done.

Jay
"Ministry of finance", Classic!!!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The above suggestions are good ideas. I also suggest that when you are being given the tutorial from the rental company, take notes or better yet video what they are telling you. Down the road it will make it easier to reference the notes, then trying to figure out what to do. Remember you're in it to have fun. Enjoy the trip.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Take your time! Remember to swing wide in turns. Watch your following distance. Plan lane changes and turns. Take your time, don't get rushed.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We rented several rigs before actually buying and learned a ton... not only about what we wanted/didn't need in an RV but also confirmed that we enjoyed the RV lifestyle and eachother in close quarters.

4 years of full timing later we are still happy campers.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #12

Is it wine or is it Crown Royal? I found that if you have driven a large moving truck, you can drive an RV. I was lucky, first time out I went with friends that have owned MH for years and could show me what to do. Lowering and raising the awning, leveling, starting the fridge on propane, starting the generator, checking levels, and last but not least and the most fun...dumping the tanks. Enjoy and remember, it all washes off with soap and water.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't make the wife be the cook and cleaner. Needs to be a vacation for her as well. Easy to fix food, microwave stuff in paper plates, plastic flatware and glasses, etc. But don't take too much food, easy to do.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I'm not going to give you advice on your rental. However I will strongly suggest that you go to rv.org and buy their product and read all their material while you are traveling. It will be the best money you spend on your RV if you are going to buy one.
Oh the heck with it I will give advice: Have Fun, Be safe, and take your time. Remember 200 miles should be considered a long long day, stay off interstate when ever possible, and go to USA and Canada Tourist Attraction Maps. Roadside America for fun things to see wile on the road.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote