RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #15

What are you using for health insurance?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

Welcome to the lifestyle of fulltime RVing where “Every day is a Saturday and your on vacation the rest of your life”.

I would suggest looking in to the Escapees organization. They cater to the fulltime lifestyle. They offer RV boot camp, Escapades, Webinar, forum etc.. to help educate and keep you informed. We also use their mail-forwarding Service.

https://www.escapees.com/
https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/
https://www.escapees.com/community/national-rally/
https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/

“Happy Trails’
Chiefneon
X2 on escapees, and especially check out their Xscapers group - for still-working, younger RVers.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Credit Cards.....two of them with lots of room.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Review the free" rv mobile internet" https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ group and consider joining the paid group Section for the modest annual fee,especially if you depend on internet connectivity for work.
I also agree the Escapees are great! For you The sub group Xscapers is a group of folks like you, Younger working on the road, full time.Much more relevant info.
Never having had a RV you will have a steep learning curve, but sound s like fun. Take your time as others have said getting familiar before you get to far from a home base of friends and support.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimballFam View Post

Here’s where I would love your help. I can’t do everything at once, but please share with me any tips, tricks, ideas and must-have’s that we should be ready for when we shove off in t-minus 35 days! Thank you in advance!!
My dad didn't give advise. But if he did, he would say: "look before you leap".

These people did what you are thinking about.

THE MORE WE EXPLORE - Home
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #20

Brian, welcome aboard!

One thing that entertains many folks in campgrounds is watching newbies trying to park their rigs. This can lead to lots of laughs by the observers but hard feelings for the participants.

The best advice I can offer is to get cell phones or walkie-talkies and keep in contact during the process. One cardinal rule is never to move unless the driver can see the spotter. Second rule is LISTEN TO THE SPOTTER! If you are not sure. get out and look. In our case, I drive, DW (wife) does not. She is very good at spotting for me, so I just shut up and follow orders!

As the driver, I am totally responsible for driving the vehicle, so I may still take a look around (she prefers that I just listen), but often I need a mental picture for my own confidence; then I shut up and do it.

A little practice will get you (whoever your team is) perfectly competent in the process. Take your time; it will work.

Just as a note, we have a bluetooth radio in the dash, so she will call me on her cell. That way I am hands free and can hear and talk while maneuvering. She roves around watching for trees, rocks, dogs, limbs, and things that go bump in the night.

Remember: only one person can be in charge at a time! Learn to trust the spotter, tell anyone else around that you have under control, and follow orders.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
rewillia what a great post. You are spot on with your recommendations. I would add to get a good GPS system (Garmin 660 or 770) designed for motorhomes to keep out of trouble of low bridges and bad roads.
Thank you. I assumed being a 2018 Tiffin it will come with a GPS/Nav. system hence no mention of it in my reply.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy! Welcome to the lifestyle of fulltime RVing where “Every day is a Saturday and your on vacation the rest of your life”. I would suggest looking in to the Escapees organization.

“Happy Trails’
Chiefneon
Good Suggestion. We're Escapee's members as well and your absolutely correct as to the benefits.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #23

FIRST-timers and FULL-timers at once! Looking for input

Welcome to the club! We just decided to do the same w three of our four kids.. our oldest is heading off to college in August. Excited for your family. We haven’t burned all our ships yet. We’ll be taking our adventure a couple months at a time! Lots of great advice on here. Do your homework. Support your wife I the homeschool efforts. Join a bunch of groups. Make a plan of what you want your days weeks and months to look like. Fill in with as much detail as possible and know you can’t do it all in one day. It’s a series of stepping stones, like anything in life.

Godspeed!
kpecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't remember seeing a ems for the coach. Perhaps the newer models come with it installed. If not you need to get one, progressive 50 amp or Surge Guard 50 amp. May save all your delicate electronics.
As others have said, read the manuals that come with your coach. I have read ours and I am still learning things.
Encourage your wife to be able to drive. Yes, it can be scary at first, but might be the one thing that helps you both share.
Have your wife cook a several meals in the coach prior to your departure date. This will help her figure out what it is going to be like. I have tossed out a lot of things I thought that I would need, but have found that I never use. Also gives her an idea of what can do double duty.
Have a space for the kiddos to keep their own things. Baskets work well. Remember, Walmart, Target and other similar stores are always there for you to resupply. Check your health insurance to make sure it will follow you where ever you go.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #25

Try to take a couple local trips or even camp in the driveway before you embark. That will help you know what you forgot to pack so you can go get it.

Another tip. Try not to let your fuel tank get below 1/2 full. Sometimes finding a station you can in and out of is difficult.