Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

First trip out west

We have a new-to-us 2000 HR Endeavor 36' gasser with the Ford V10 on the F53 chassis. We live in Wilmington area NC where it is relatively FLAT. We will be heading out west via I40 to Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon then to Yellowstone, returning via Cody, Rapid City, St. Louis and LKexington Ky. Estimate total trip at some 5,560 miles. Toad is 08 Hyundai sonata on KK360SB.
I have no trouble calculating cost for camping, food, fun etc but am at a loss trying to figure estimate for gas (mpg). I've heard everytihing from 5MPG to 9MPG . Normally drive at 55-60.
Anybody advise as what a realistic MPG would be???
joeb1943.910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Figure 7.5 and be pleasantly surprised if you get 8+ and not too disappointed if you only get 7, at least your in the ball park and not to far off your budget.

For me, it's not the hills but the headwinds that drop my mileage from 8 to 6.5. sometimes it feels like I am not moving, and really have to get on the throttle with a big head wind.

After climbing a 7% grade at 35-40 MPH in 3rd gear and 3600 RPM for a couple of miles, I think I get some of my my MPG back when going down the other side of the mountain, even with the grade brake on.

You might want wait to leave for a month or so, I was in Bryce and Zion in early April 2012 and it snowed on us (it was really cold at 9000 feet.). The weather is still finicky until May. You might want check and see when the campgrounds open in Yellowstone too.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

figure about 50 cents a mile and you won't be to far off.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
Figure 7.5 and be pleasantly surprised if you get 8+ and not too disappointed if you only get 7, at least your in the ball park and not to far off your budget.

For me, it's not the hills but the headwinds that drop my mileage from 8 to 6.5. sometimes it feels like I am not moving, and really have to get on the throttle with a big head wind.

After climbing a 7% grade at 35-40 MPH in 3rd gear and 3600 RPM for a couple of miles, I think I get some of my my MPG back when going down the other side of the mountain, even with the grade brake on.

You might want wait to leave for a month or so, I was in Bryce and Zion in early April 2012 and it snowed on us (it was really cold at 9000 feet.). The weather is still finicky until May. You might want check and see when the campgrounds open in Yellowstone too.

Thanks...we are scheduled to depart NC 26May and our reservations at GC are for 7 June, reservations at Yellowstone 15 June, so hopefully snow likelyhood will be minimal.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #5

We did your exact trip last summer but add Moab UT as it has 2 great National Parks (Canyon Lands & Arch's). Both were great. We have a F53 chassis also & it did very well getting about 7 mpg pulling a GC. Have a great trip, it won't disappoint.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Joe & Mary:

Sounds like a WONDERFUL trip you've got planned. We're full timers out of South Dakota (currently wintering in FL) and have bounced around most of the areas you plan to visit. Do try to sneak in to Monument Valley along the way (btwn. Mesa Verde and Grand Canyon), it's pretty impressive.

Can't help you with the mileage question, but I'd bet the 7.5 figure will serve pretty well.

Have a GREAT trip.

Steve & Lynette
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

Head wind if you are traveling west will burn some fuel for sure. We travel late in the afternoon since the wind will stop or dramatically slow down at night. Truck drivers figured this a long time ago. You will be amazed how strong and consistent is is. I know Wilmington has a breeze but wait till you experience wind.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
figure about 50 cents a mile and you won't be to far off.
I calculate my trips at approximately $0.58/mile...I figure conservatively for budgeting...I calculate an average fuel cost of $3.75/gallon. I allow for an average of 6.5 mpg for budgeting purposes.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, we took that almost exact route last spring, was gone for 2 months and put about 7000 miles on the MH. We loved every minute of it!

We averaged about 8 MPG on our DP. Not sure about the gasser.

Hope you guys have a safe and wonderful trip!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb1943.910 View Post
Thanks...we are scheduled to depart NC 26May and our reservations at GC are for 7 June, reservations at Yellowstone 15 June, so hopefully snow likelyhood will be minimal.
We've stayed in Yellowstone two different times the week of July 4th. Both times it was chilly. Saw snow on the roadside under the trees on the most recent trip.

We also did that same trip twice. Loved it! Are planning to do part of it again this summer to pick up the places we missed the first couple of times. Taking the 8 YO granddaughter with us; getting her started on the RV lifestyle.

Scariest part of the trip for me was driving west into Yellowstone. Those mountains are awesome - both in grades and in views! Have a great time!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm planning now my first trip out west. Heading to Yellowstone, bad lands, mt Rushmore , Denver , Utah. And where ever we decide. We are leaving FL on April 1. Heading up the east coast to see my aging parents (in their 90s) and heading west. This trip will be at least 7 months long. Depending on weather. Any suggestions on what to see are appreciated
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #12

Thanks to all....

We've enjoyed a fifth wheel for years but this is our first long-distance trip in a class A. I'll likely have an interesting learning experience. Based on everyones input, i'm calculating...5,865 miles @ 6MPG (conservative) with gas at $3.50 (87 oct) meaning 977 gallons for $3,420 in gas. $1,100 in camping fees (NP campgrounds, Passport America and Wal Mart...38 days on the road), $2,590 meals (2 adults) and $1,500 "mad money". Total budget for 38 day trip...$8,620+/-. Hope that works as if it doesn't, she-who-must-be-obeyed will never let me forget that THIS time I ran the budget. Twenty years of marraige and I guess i'm STILL on probation. Just kidding....best decision I ever made was asking this VERY special lady to marry me!!!
Again, thanks to all for the advice.
Joe
USA-5thSFG-Nam 67-70
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I took about the same trip in 2011 in a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 37c with 8.1 Workhorse towing a Honda CRV. We covered 8000 miles and averaged 6 mpg. I do not consider cost of food because I probably spend just as much at home.
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that the larger variable when trying to estimate fuel cost is the price of fuel itself, not the mpg of the RV. The mpg is going to be within a fairly close range, but the cost of fuel will vary more widely depending on a number of causes, taxes state to state, the season, supply/demand, all those other reasons unknown to us common folk.