Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
These are great coaches if you can get it for the right price. 40' models and down will have 2 AC's and a 7500 generator, 42' will have 3 AC's and a 10,000 generator. Most likely a 400ISL engine and Allison trans.

I see no one has listed tire cost, but be forwarned that they may be around $700 each X 8 = over $5000.

Pet odors are usually in the fabric and carpet. I doubt an ionizer will help until the source is removed. If you replace the furniture and bed, that will really help. Removing all the carpet and pad will allow you to disinfect and deororize the floors and bottom sections of the walls. Odoban and/or Clorox in a large garden sprayer and go over the entire area and then let dry with plenty of air circulation.

I really don't see any show stoppers as long as the purchase price is good.

Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #16

You will probably get the pet odor out after carpet, bedding, fabric furniture have been replaced, but what is your penalty for being wrong? You mentioned your DW, I believe. This much deferred maintenance and shabby appearance indicates that there is a significant probability that the major mechanical systems (engine, tranny, air/hyd brakes, etc.) have also suffered from inattention. Just my 2 cts worth - Don't do it.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
1. Tires are normal replacement.
2. Contact Chris at Stone Vos. He is the topper King and a coach owner.
3. My coach is an '03 with 110k miles (we are full time) and my 3 A/Cs are OEM.
4. Why replace inverter?
5. Shocks are Bilstein and my OEM are still good. Brakes generally are good for over 100k. My OEMs are still good. Air bag replacement is very unusual. Life is usually 20+ years.
5. FG roof cleans up with Mr Clean Magic Eraser & treat with 2 coats of Mop & Glo. Few hours at most.
6. A/V equipment is out dated but not a huge expense.

Have samples analyzed by JG Lube services.
1. Engine
2. Transmission
3. Coolant
4. The generator should be a 8 or 10 KW Onan. Low hours is not necessarily good so should have an Onan shop evaluate & service. Running it with a heavy load for an hour will tell the tale.
5. The AquaHot can be trouble if it hasn't been winterized. If the freshwater loop is allowed to freeze its an $8-10,000 mistake. If the diesel burner runs with little smoke & no sign of water or coolant leaks under the coach is should be good to go.

To do the big necessary items should total less than $10k including all neglected maintenance item. Interior remodel items you mention should be around $10-15k. This depends on quality of replacement items and how extensive the remodel.
You can't get much better advice than this. Steve always appreciate your insight! Regards
Old 10-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Steve, also. If urine has penetrated the sub floor it could add more cost.

As mentioned already, this will be a project. This Coach has good bones but, it's not sellable in current condition except as a project. By the time you replace wall paper, maybe ceiling rug, etc., I think your interior renovation is going to exceed $25k. With that in mind I'd have buy the Coach in the $40k range to make it worth it. There are well maintained MH's you could buy and enjoy without the risk for the same money.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I agree with Steve, also. If urine has penetrated the sub floor it could add more cost.

As mentioned already, this will be a project. This Coach has good bones but, it's not sellable in current condition except as a project. By the time you replace wall paper, maybe ceiling rug, etc., I think your interior renovation is going to exceed $25k. With that in mind I'd have buy the Coach in the $40k range to make it worth it. There are well maintained MH's you could buy and enjoy without the risk for the same money.
I agree totally. It sounds like a big project. It's not just a money thing, it's a time thing. Fixing things, finding & buying parts, ripping out, installing new, troubling shooting, upgrading and on and on I could go. It takes a lot of time to research, plan and time to complete each item. Whenever you tackle something, it usually always reveals something else that should be tended to while you're at it. So what started out to be one of the things on your list you thought would take a day or two, now has grown into a week or two or three. As others have said, if you have the 75K to buy, and another 25 or 30K to put in it, MAN......you can find some really nice used MH's out there that have been taken care of for a 100K. You get one of those babies and maybe spend a month or two tricking it out the way you want and then go enjoy it. The MH you're discussing here would be IMHO at least a year before your initial list is completed. Constantly going and working on the MH everyday would get real old after 2 or 3 months, especially after you look at your list of stuff you still need to do. Your wife would probably not like the fact you're gone all the time either.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #20

If this Dynasty is as "nasty" as you claim, what makes you think the current owner took any better care of the engine and transmission as he did with the interior items you feel need to be replaced. Face reality, that Dynasty will not get any takers at $75,000 due to it's stated condition. Total up what you "think" it will take to get this rig up to your standards and then double that dollar amount, then, deduct it from the $75,000 asking price and offer the net to the owner. If the owner turns your offer down, he probably did you a huge favor.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #21

I had an 05 Dynasty which was a good (very good) coach. If you are handy and enjoy fixing and improving things, then this might be the deal for you. If you plan to turn the job over to some company to repair -- run for the hills!
If it were me, I would offer $40K in cash for the coach "as is." In other words the owner is totally out of it and you can't go back to him about further problems. He will be able to sleep at night, but you may not.
I would enjoy such a project, but many would not.
Somebody will buy this coach at a very attractive price, and if they have the skills or a giant checkbook, will end up with a nice RV.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
If urine has penetrated the sub floor it could add more cost.
There you go, that is the best answer. Pet odors can cost a huge amount to solve & cats are the worst. Slobbering hounds are about just as bad though.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
If what has been said its true, then walk away from the coach. There are much better fish in the sea.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You didn't pick the first girl that came along did you? Keep looking...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #25

I'm pretty green to RVing but spent a lot of time looking before I bought. My biggest concern if I were you is, if PO didn't care about the inside of the coach then he probably didn't care about much as far as maintance either. Patience is your freind when looking for a coach.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #26

With the odors and probable lack of maintenance I wouldn't even consider it. Lots of others to choose from.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #27

Fixer Upper - Dynasty

It is very important to have generator checked properly, I bought a very nice holiday rambler low miles but it had been parked for over 5 years. Generator worked great at first but after running it at full load for over an hour it died and had to replace the whole computer a $2500 expense because moisture had corroded the circuits. Those generators are made to run, not to sit idle so take it to Onan and have it checked. I was just to replace furniture, batteries, tires, replace carpeting in bedroom and entry, budgeted 8000.00 but never expected to burn 2500 on Gen. fortunately I bought it low enough so I am still ok but any coach parked for any length of time deteriorates quicker than running.
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

$75k for a coach that needs that much work is way to high. Heck, I've got an equivalent class coach for sale in the IRV2 Classifieds right now that needs little or no work for the same money.
http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...?product=10194

However, I'm skeptical that you really need all that stuff you cited. If the a/c's all work, why would you replace them? Or the air bags or brakes? They would typically still be fine in a 11 year old coach with modest mileage.

8 tires for that size coach will run $4200-$6200 depending on the brand you prefer. New furniture similar to the original will need a class supplier like Villa or Flexsteel and probably run another $7500 or so. Figure $3000 for new flooring, but maybe more if pet odors are ingrained in the subfloor. To bring the engine, chassis and genset service up-to-date, figure around $2000-$2500. Toppers and main awning maybe $3500 or so. This is all at dealer/shop prices - probably much less if you do more yourself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote