Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #15

Here's the official info about the $2.50 admin fee for toll by plate.

https://www.tollbyplate.com/faq

Also, be careful with the toad. If you have a transponder in the motorhome and in the toad you'll get hit twice for the same toll. Ask me how I know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #16

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Probably 50% of tolls in FL now require either SunPass or Toll By Tag and have no provision for paying cash tolls. Very few (if any) in the Miami area have cash lanes anymore.
even the way that you 'phrase' your response makes it again 'sound' as though someone can't drive in Florida without having a pass... a better way to say it might be ' no, a pass is not required to drive any roads in Florida. While a few may have a toll, you can easily pay cash, and for others they will simply send you a bill - they scan your plate as you drive by, no stopping required - but a pass can be acquired so that even the cash booths don't have to be stopped at '...

the OP was concerned about Toll Booths, and I imagine the perceived 'risk' that goes with them while driving thru them with the 'brand new' RV... I think there is plenty of room, especially if you use the far right lane.

I drive there often and have never had a pass, and don't plan on having one, and that's even while delivering brand new coaches from the factories to dealers.

sure, for some who travel in Florida on any 'tolled' roads frequently, a pass may make sense, especially for convenience, but for us 'just passing thru' for a short time, maybe not so much.

enjoy! : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #17

We travel the toll roads of Florida with 1 Sunpass and 2 vehicle's.

If we leave the Sunpass in the MH and just use the toad, we still use the Sunpass lane.

Since the toads plate is on the account, they use the picture, they take of our license plate, and bill me.

We bought a new toad last month, so the DW took the pass to use in that, while I drove the MH, with the old toad, across the state, without a pass.

I checked the account and they got it right. They even got the axle count right.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #18

For those of us with multiple portable transponders, upon request, SunPass will mail you a metalized bag for a transponder. Or, you can use aluminum foil.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just went through the same thing. I decided to get the NC Quick Pass E-ZPass which is good in 18 states. Purchase the transponder for $7.40 + tax.

https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/facilities.shtml
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
you don't HAVE to have anything to drive ANY road in Florida... even the ones that may have 'tolls' don't REQUIRE anyone to have anything but cash. If you don't 'like' having to drive thru a toll booth, you are over compensating for any risk you think there is, the lanes are plenty wide enough, especially if you stick to the far right side.

As for GA, there is absolutely not a SINGLE tolled road, anywhere! ...so when folks say that it 'works' for GA also, what they are referring to is 'special' lanes in various locations around Atlanta, probably NONE of which you would use regardless.

SC may be the same.

I'm not sure why anyone would go thru the trouble and hassle in buying a 'pass', for temporary travel, and having to manage your money, and your account, 'just' to avoid any toll booths you 'might' encounter.
There are quite a few toll roads in S. Florida where there are no toll booths, rather they utilize "toll by plate" technology if you do not have a Sun Pass transponder.

The surcharge for "toll by plate" will make your Sun Pass purchase a no brainer.

The "hassle" of buying a Sun Pass at the Florida Welcome Stations will take very little time.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all your help
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Same Toll issue - but new question

Hi everyone.. we'll be traveling all around FLA in NOV thru FEB. we have an NH (we are originally form there) E-Z Pass. I see now that the old CFX system (e-PAss) now accepts EZ-PAss, so we got that covered, but i also see that its not accepted on DOT toll roads, ie SunPass toll roads. So it sounds like i should have both.

Here's the rub.. If i register my RV (40ft DP) with the transponder and i use the transponder in my Toad when we want to do day trips, etc.. will i pay the RV toll $$ amount?

can i register both RV and Toad plates (Tags as they are referred to here ) so that they are charged differently?

If i have both in the RV - SunPass and EZpass, will i get whacked twice, as i had read that the OLD E-Pass and SunPass 'knew about each other" but i dont know if that is true for SunPass knowing about EZPass. That kinda confusion :(

Should i get a SunPass transponder for the RV and a separate transponder for the Jeep? and store the jeep transponder in the Foil bag when its hitched up (yet another task on the list).

Thanks in advance for all those with this toll knowledge!!

-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #23

We have the NC quick pass/EZ pass which is supposed to be good for everything, but does not work on the FL turnpike. We also have the sunpass as well. Get the transponder and not the window sticker.
The sunpass can be used in both the motor home and the car. You just list both vehicles on the website. You can tow the car and all will be good as long as both vehicles are listed.
Keep the transponder that you are not using in the foil bag they provide. You won't be charged twice.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Fla Toll Passes

The Cfx pass that covers all the East including All Florida is not their still sold e-pass .
it’s the e-pass XTRA ! According to them and the places I’ve been it covers the entire East I ordered it and got rid of sun pass and the EZpass from all the other states.
One pass movable between vehicles google it
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
thnx everyone for the info.. makes our decision a little easier
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote