Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 06:09 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=pasdad1;6317099]FlexSteel doesn’t make the fabrics or coverings….they use whatever the coach builder specified. The problem came from coach builders specifying cheaper coverings instead of the tried and proven “ultraLeather” (which is a patented and trademarked covering made by ultra fabrics corporation)

OK. Maybe there is some hope for my coverings lasting for some time. Allegedly I have UltraLeather per my brochure. But, I have learned that the brochure for my coach is only worth the paper it is printed on. I wonder if any of the furniture has a label showing the covering used. I'll have to check it out. No issues now, so nothing to do I suppose.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 06:47 AM   #16

We had our captain's chairs revovered at Bauer in July. They do excellent work and we stayed overnight in their parking lot.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
FlexSteel doesn’t make the fabrics or coverings….they use whatever the coach builder specified. The problem came from coach builders specifying cheaper coverings instead of the tried and proven “ultraLeather” (which is a patented and trademarked covering made by ultra fabrics corporation)

Attachment 377308
Yepper.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:25 AM   #18

Yah, real Ultra Leather won't do that. I had real ultraleather captians chairs in my previous coach. 16 years and 80K + miles and one engine change and they still looked new. True Ultraleather is Urethane. Once it became popular, there were a bunch of knockoffs that failed with age.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #19

[QUOTE=thegats1;6317897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
FlexSteel doesn’t make the fabrics or coverings….they use whatever the coach builder specified. The problem came from coach builders specifying cheaper coverings instead of the tried and proven “ultraLeather” (which is a patented and trademarked covering made by ultra fabrics corporation)

OK. Maybe there is some hope for my coverings lasting for some time. Allegedly I have UltraLeather per my brochure. But, I have learned that the brochure for my coach is only worth the paper it is printed on. I wonder if any of the furniture has a label showing the covering used. I'll have to check it out. No issues now, so nothing to do I suppose.

Yes, if yours says UltraLeather you are probably good. Should be labels on all the furniture, however it’s coded in numbers, and will be needed to be decoded. The internet can help with that.

Here is what our brochure called the “bad” covering…. UltraLux leather…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	377373
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:56 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post

The chairs in our Bounder had tags attached to them that specifically said "UltraLeather" - during the PDI the dealer showed them to us, then removed the tags and placed them with the valise full of paperwork for us - filed in the "Comfort & Convenience" section. They are still there 15 years later!
Old 09-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #21

Sofas and Driver/Passenger Seats Recovered

We live in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area and need to repair seats that are flaking. May need to replace front seats as they are no longer comfortable... Kinda broken down on support we have a 2008 Phaeton.

Any recommendations to take care of issue locally?
Old 09-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #22

Flexsteel furniture

I am personally mad as hell with the RV manufacturers and in my case Fleetwood. They specified in cheaper bonded leather material and when they knew they had a problem they did not address it. Having a product issue is one thing. Knowing you have a product issue and hiding behind a warranty is completely another issue. In this case the manufacturers continue to hide behind a warranty The technical reason that this bonded leather failed is that the tie coat that was used was either not up to specifications or applied improperly unfinished top layer. The Thai code is that adhesive which bonds the leather or in this case the fake leather to the substrate. Fleetwood specifically is blaming it on hydrolysis and falling back on their warranty. Internal records would show that they were aware of the problem as early as 2014 and did not address the issue until at least 2019. In my opinion this is not a flexsteel issue at all it is a manufacturer issue and being that they were well aware of the problem falls under a negligence issue. My background in bonding and adhesives as a career makes me aware of exactly what happened here. When a manufacturer recognizes a problem they have an obligation to step up and fix the problem. In the automotive industry this is called a product recall. In the RV industry there seems to be no comparable term because they just hide behind a warranty. I think this needs to be taken into consideration the next time any of us go out to purchase a new RV product because you certainly cannot count on the manufacturer to stand behind their products. On a personal note Fleetwood has not heard the last of me and my complaints and I plan to take it as far as I possibly can as negligence Trump's warranty in a legal form any day of the week. I apologize for the rant however anyone who is owned and expensive RV should have much higher expectations of the manufacturer then what has been demonstrated in this industry over the past 6 or 7 years
Tucson85718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
EXACTLY! It's nothing more than cost savings - shall we use Ultraleather, at over $70 a yard, or use bonded leather, at about $20 a yard?

The Ultraleather in our 2007 Bounder still looks great 15 years, and 50,000 miles, down the road...
i received a set of covers from Tiffin but ended up changing out the seats. Still have the leather covers
Old 09-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Yes it sucks this is happenning. I went thru it too. I recovered all the furniture in my coach because of it.

Just an fyi. The leather isn’t fake. It’s actually pretty nice leather. The problem came from flex steel gluing the leather to that fabric backing. The glue dried the leather to the point that it would crack and flake off the backing. This was done because you didn’t need as thick a piece of leather with the backing as you would need without. It was cost savings gone awry.

I believe the problem/process was fixed somewhere around 2016/2017, but I could be off.
We had our captain's chairs recovered at Bauer RV last March and are 100% pleased and very impressed with their operation.
As past employees of Flexsteel, they explained that it was actually the RV manufacturers that came to FlexSteel with the material they wanted used. The manufacturers purchased the material independently and supplied FlexSteel. It was obviously an inferior vinyl. FlexSteel have since vacated the RV industry and the product being used by Bauer RV is a top quality Ultra-Leather. Bauer RV was
able to match the appearance and colour using the Ultra-Leather and we a very pleased.
Jim.B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:26 PM   #25

Take it all off

Same exact problem in a 2014 bounder... My grandson couldn't resist peeling the already peeling skin and it came off so easy. I found a stiff dish brush and joined him. The fabric underneath is quite soft and seems durable. A face mask for some dust and a good vacuum and the work goes quickly and is rather satisfying much like pressure washing a sidewalk. It's been a year since I started and I'm almost done just finishing up the details. Budget friendly too. I'm thinking of putting a stain guard on the exposed fabric to protect my non investment. .. Any one else go this route?
JohnnySteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:50 PM   #26

What did it run to have chairs re-upholstered at Bauer. Planning a trip to ND in May, could stop there for a day or two. Need a recliner redone and maybe our two chairs in the cab. (Captain's chairs but not as big/tall as some Class A's). Can they provide a fabric (not leather) that is highly durable?
Qui-Gon John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:52 PM   #27

At the last RV show I went to, I looked at motorhomes from Newells on down to the cheap ones. No one seems to offer real leather seats any longer. If the customers are willing to pay the price, they should offer that option.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #28

Question for anyone that used Bauer…Did they remove the sofa to access the sides, back, etc and if not - how did they do it? I called to inquire and thought Lisa said that they don’t remove the sofa but surely I must be wrong. Not sure how they could make it work. Thanks.

Tags
furniture