Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Flat Screen TV retrofit

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am curious to hear from anyone who has converted their tube TV's to the newer flat screens. Wondering if it worth the trouble or if you have any thoughts are on this subject.

I do not full time (yet) however, starting to feel as though the tube TV is out of date. With the price of new RV's, looks like a few upgrades may be on the horizon for me.

If you have converted to a flat sreen please share your experience and or lessons learned.

Example: Was it a do it yourself project, found a local business, and/or used the nearest Camping World.

Is LED or LCD technology better for RV applications, etc.

I haven't completed my signature but drive a W22 2003 Itasca Suncruiser (35U floor plan)

Look forward to your response.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've done several. There are two hard parts:
1) Getting the heavy tube TV out.
2) Getting bracing in there for a flat screen.

We buy the mounts from HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Advantages:
1) Lower power draw. LED will draw less power than LCD
2) HD and HD-over-the-air
3) gets rid of that digital converter if you have one
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

Like cb1000rider said the hardest part is getting the old one out. LED vs LCD depends on what you want to spend on a TV and how much you will watch in the RV. I just bought inexpensive TV's from a pawn shop and put them in. Don't really watch enough TV to warrant putting in more expensive tv's
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Do a search in search tab at top. TV replacement. Good luck.
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Vizio LED with front speakers.

Articulating mount from monoprice.com

Total cost with on hand parts about $25

Lots of threads on this topic involving many different types of rigs. A web search will yield lots of results with pictures.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We just picked up 2 Samsung LED TV's from Best Buy on sale along with the mounts to hang them on. At the same time we picked up a Roku 3 box, HDMI cable and a sound bar. The picture is much bigger and clearer. One is 32 inches and the other is 22 inches.
Hardest part again was just getting the old tube ones out. They are very heavy.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

We replaced both with Samsung LED units 32" and 40". Look at the specs for weight and look into sound bars if getting the real thin ones since the manufacturers skimp on speakers due to little space for them. Less power draw and so much better to watch tv on. I highly recommend.
Stormrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As stated the issues are getting the old TV out, then installing a brace of some sort to hold your new TV mount, then what ever cabinet modifications required if necessary to make the conversion pleasing to your taste.

Lots of threads on this issue so it is worth doing a search if you have not done so. If you experience any difficulties we can talk you through most anything. Pictures of your situation is always a big help.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here are some ideas on how to change out your older TV to a LCD or LED in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Replaced Front 26" CRT Panasonic with 32" Samung LED (27watts-12.5#) last summer. As mentioned hardest part getting 85# original tv out of rig. Used articaling arms from Amazon for both front and back (19"LCD). Research showed Samsung model had best LED sound which proved to be true. No sound bar needed. Good luck!
Jack H
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I swapped to old set for a 39" flatscreen for all the reasons above. Why replace the set for a similar size one? Go big! Easy fix and didn't change the woodwork. Looks factory. Before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1052548301.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	40219   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1668342228.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	40220  

Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We just picked up 2 Samsung LED TV's from Best Buy on sale along with the mounts to hang them on. At the same time we picked up a Roku 3 box, HDMI cable and a sound bar. The picture is much bigger and clearer. One is 32 inches and the other is 22 inches.
I am in the middle of this project as well. Question: Did you need the sound bar because of the old speaker wires or did you need the extra HDMI input? I am trying to keep my existing Surround Sound 5.1 speakers and woofer but will need an amplifier if I am to go that route. Thanks for any help.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roku

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I'm curious as to why you would put a Roku in an RV.

They require an inordinate amount of network bandwidth. Few if any RV park wifi networks are reliable enough to support media streaming and if you're using anything other than an unlimited 4G plan ( are there any?) it will cost you out the proverbial nose to watch a single movie.

We put in an LG LED and a matching Blue ray home theater system and couldn't be happier. They operate as if it was one device, I.e. put a blue ray disc in and the TV turns on automatically in the right mode, dock an iPod and it shows ups the TV but plays through the surround sound etc.

I can't say we're as happy with the Visio we installed in the bedroom. It's down angle viewing is horrible.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote