RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood American Tradition Washing Machine/Dryer Problem

Model 40VS, Spartan Chassis. 1999 model

Bought the motorhome one month ago, leaving on 7/6 for cross country trip.

This morning I put a couple towels into the washing machine and turned it on... Fired right up and went through the wash cycle flawlessly. Disclaimer, I did NOT check the lint filter before I started the unit.

Then turned dryer on, wife put the dial to 40 minutes, but with 5 minutes left she checked the towels and they were still wet, so she turned the dial back to 50 minutes.

Couple hours later she checked the machine and it was off. Tried to restart, nothing.

I get home tonight and try it, nothing as well. Check the breaker under the master bed, wasn't tripped, but reset it anyway. Nothing...

In the morning I plan to pull the machine out and check things out on the backside...

Any help or ideas are welcome. Thank you!

ILFarmer2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Hi, welcome to the forum.

What is the manufacturer of your unit ...is it a Spendide combo or is the dryer separate?

So there is power to the plug? --and checked the plug itself to see if it's seated in the socket as we've had them work loose slightly from the normal jolts and vibration of going down the road. From your description, that's probably not the problem but might be good to check anyway.

If there's power to the plug and there's good contact, is everything dead? ...or are there lights flashing (for example, on some machines blinking light patterns can indicate different things).

Have you checked to see that the machine is not set to the "delayed start" setting? On some Spendides, a blinking LED with 2 seconds on and four seconds off will indicate that it's set to "delayed start."

I'm sure others will chime in later if you can give a bit more information on the model of your unit.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:42 AM   #3

Re: theroc

Thank you for your response...

The unit is a Splendide 2000

On the detergent door it says : WD802M

Remember the motorhome is a 1999 model. There are no lights on the display of this washer/dryer.

Getting ready to pull it out and hope to find something obvious in the rear...
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Check your 120V breakers first.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

Breaker Was Flipped!

Great News, my breaker was tripped!

Thanks to all.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as though you have a dryer problem regardless, so be prepared to do more diagnosis. Get the tech training manual for your Splendide model at Splendide Combo Washer Dryer Technical Education Site
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Assuming you have a Splendide combo unit, it sounds like the unit needs a 'washing'. The lint remaining doesn't all get in the lint filter but does restrict air flow during dry cycle. I don't have the number handy, but call Splendide (actually Western something-or-other [can't remember]) to get the 'washing' procedure. They are very helpful, located on West Coast. Process involves overfilling the machine and going thru a cycle, the repeating 2 more times (plan on half a day). Clean lint left in drum after each cycle, be amazed at how much comes out.
Then use plain vinegar instead of clothes softener from now on - breaks down lint better and reduces wrinkling. We now use vinegar at home!
Also, clean out the dryer vent. I remove the outside shield and stick vac cleaner hose down the vent. sucks out lot of lint. I do this 1/year

Skip Y
2010 Journey
WIT Club 47083, FMCA F263635

Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, problem