RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #1

Fleetwood Excursion 33D Satellite TV

I contacted Fleetwood today to ask about hooking up a satellite TV receiver. Frankly the response was not very useful so I am posting to see if anyone has the answer.
I sent this question to their help system:
I want to install a portable satellite system and cannot find an outside connection for such a system. Is there one or do I have get the wiring done?
I got the following response:
You may be able to connect the satellite into the park cable outlet. I believe it was not until 2016 that the wiring was changed so you could no longer do this. If that does not work, I have included the instructions on how this would have to be wired, as well, shown below.

“Connecting a Sat Dish to the park cable will require some rewiring of the system to go directly to the receiver. Step 1 at the booster disconnect the park cable add a coupler and extend the coax to reach the Sat receiver. Step 2 connect the dish to the park cable plate at the exterior.

The reason why you cannot connect directly is because the way that the satellite dish works. They use different voltages to control the stations and dish pointing. Going through the park cable booster will block the correct signal going to the dish to the receiver. Secondly to think that you will magically get Satellite like you do Cable by simply connecting a Dish up to it, this will work. It has to go to a receiver first.”

I responded:
Thank you for sending the suggestion to re-wire the park cable connection. I would like to avoid doing that because I am sure there will be times when I want to use park cable. After looking at the entertainment center diagrams it appears that there may be a separate conduit for satellite already installed. In the home theater installation diagram the wiring to the customer supplied satellite is shown. In the Entertainment Overlay Harness diagram there is a description of the Park/Sat/Booster conduit in the upper left hand corner and the park cable conduit is shown as separate. I assume that means there is conduit specifically for the satellite but the diagram does not explain where the outside connection is. It is not in the utility bay because the only coaxial connection there is for the park cable. My questions are: Is there a satellite specific conduit and, if so, where is the outside connection located?
Their response:
I do not see a line ran to the outside for an additional “travel” satellite to be used. The only information on have on the routing would be what was sent.
What have others done or can you tell me where to find the connection?
Thanks.
Rogercaiazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Generally speaking attempting to connect a sat antenna to the cable connection does not work. Most newer sat technology requires a clean run using RG6 coax. Any non approved connectors simply allow too much signal loss for sat to work. Depending on the say system your trying to hook up your best choice is going to be to run a dedicated coax from a convenient outside location to behind the TV location. With planning is certainally is not hard to do. And using high quality components is not all that expensive either.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

You can use the cable line for sat but you'll need to disconnect the sat receiver and rewire every time you want to switch. That's a bit of a hassle, imo.

It might take a little effort to run another coax from your basement to your media cabinet so you have a dedicated line for each... but it sounds like that would be the better option.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

many newer coaches will have a pre-wired roof satellite antenna system installed, or a 'Satellite Prep' package for those coaches without an included roof top satellite antenna...

but, manufacturers don't typically pre-wire the coach for EXTERNAL satellite systems, like the KingTailgater or other 'portable' antennas. Since the COAX cable from the receiver normally is also the power cable for most portable antennas, the Booster, or black box, and internal coax splitters within the coach, create issues with the signal and power.

... while it's conceivable that coach manufacturers could engineer in these options, which they probably do for the higher end coaches, it's really better in the long run to have your antenna coax cables run DiRECTLY from the Receivers to the portable Antenna itself. Each tv and receiver then have their own remote and channel controls and no booster or black box connection is required, or has to be 'switched' to watch Satellite versus Cable/Antenna... the TV's Input/Source setting makes this change instead.

Running coax cable into/thru the coach is not as daunting as it may seem at first glance, though taking the time to 'engineer' it yourself takes some time and experience.
We started our portable system by just running the coax cables(2) into the coach thru a window for a while. As I got used to the system, I started to see other places where it would work better, be unseen or out-of-the-way, and be a more permanent solution.

Eventually I installed a couple of mounting 'studs' on the rear of the roof for the portable KingTailer2 to 'sit' on while traveling. This kept us from having the 'store' the unit while driving. The two coax cables are always connected to it, and run down the ladder, thru the rear radiator area, under the rear driver side, and into the wetbay, where they end.

The internal coax cables run from the wetbay(where they connect to the coax cables from the satellite antenna), up thru an existing entry hole for other wiring and plumbing into the coach under the kitchen cabinets. One cable runs back under the bunks and up into the top of the slide in the bedroom where the Receiver is mounted. The other runs toward the front, under the dining booth, and up to the living room Receiver mounted under the table.

If I need to, I can still move the portable Antenna unit, somewhere else on the roof if needed, or even down to the ground, since I left 20' or so of extra coax cable run around the rear AC unit... works great, though I hardly ever have to move it unless we are parked under trees, or near a tall building, etc.

So, it works like a permanently installed Antenna, but can also serve as a Portable when needed. While we also have a standard tripod mount 1000.2 DishHD antenna for use when parked for long periods, the automatic KingTailgater2 is much easier and quicker to set up for just overnights and short stays... sometimes I use it while the wife is shopping, makes her shopping more of a break for me!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #5

I used diplexers to run a portable satellite and campground cable into one RV cable connection. Worked great for me. Do a google on diplexers. I don't understand the magic but it worked. You put a diplexer at each end of the RV cable connection. Mine was in a basement storage and the end at the front overhead. The diplexer takes two cables in (satellite and Cable TV) and one out to the RV installed cable connection. Another diplexer at the other end is just the reverse and gives one connection for the satellite receiver and one for the traditional cable TV. In my setup they worked simultaneously just fine. The two connections went to two inputs on the tv and I selected the tv input on the tv that I wanted and I could switch back and forth.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our traveling friends had a Fleetwood Excursion 33 and had the same issue. We finally ran a second coax from the storage bay and up behind the refrigerator into the cabinet where the satellite receiver is located. They just bought a new Discovery 40X and it also does not have a separate satellite coax.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #7

Thank you for all the responses. I had to take the coach into Camping World and asked about installation. They guessed at least four hours of labor so I am going to enlist a friend who has installed a portable for his rig. He puts in a splitter before the cable booster then hooks up the A/V system with the appropriate line. I may check out the diplexer option too. Thanks again.
Rogercaiazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, satellite, satellite tv