Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fleetwood Motorhomes General Opinion

I am considering a used Class A Motorhome and have been looking at a variety of models. I see that Fleetwood, which isn't a surprise, is very well represented in both Gas and Diesel. What is the general consensus? Are they a good buy and are there models to stay away from and models to consider seriously? Also any years to avoid? Not saying I am going to get one but just wanting to get some information about the brand.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

We have a Discovery, bought it used with 3000 miles on it. A few glitches but am working thru them. We are very pleased with coach. Did 2200 mile trip from Palm Springs up to Portland and back. Was very comfortable drive.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

Overall, I think Fleetwood is a pretty good company. I've owned a Discovery, Southwind, Pace Arrow Vision, and a diesel Bounder. This was several years ago, but we were satisfied with the quality and I suspect it has improved since then. I would rank Fleetwood close to Tiffin and Newmar.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Overall, I think Fleetwood is a pretty good company. I've owned a Discovery, Southwind, Pace Arrow Vision, and a diesel Bounder. This was several years ago, but we were satisfied with the quality and I suspect it has improved since then. I would rank Fleetwood close to Tiffin and Newmar.

Yeh, right ???????
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
I've owned two Fleetwood Travel Trailers bought the first one new.
Bought my first MH a 98 Discovery Diesel Pusher ( Great Unit )
Bought a new 2010 Tiffin 43ft Allegro Bus, watched it built from start to finish at the factory.
Lost it in a fire 1 yr old.
Bought a 2011 New American Coach.
So 4 out of 5 all Fleetwood products happy with all of them.
Pulling out in my AC in a few hrs from now for an extended weekend.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #6

I just scanned through a reliability survey I purchased and most of the Fleetwood Class A's have above average reliability scores of around 70 out of 100. The Discovery scores slightly better.

For reference, Newmars and Tiffins are typically in the 80 range, while Thor and Forest River scores are typically around 50.

This is just one source of data, but it shows Fleetwood as a solid brand from a reliability standpoint.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerritt View Post
I am considering a used Class A Motorhome and have been looking at a variety of models. I see that Fleetwood, which isn't a surprise, is very well represented in both Gas and Diesel. What is the general consensus? Are they a good buy and are there models to stay away from and models to consider seriously? Also any years to avoid? Not saying I am going to get one but just wanting to get some information about the brand.

We have a gas Bounder 2016. Bought it new. Several warranty issues, Fleetwood was great help, dealer not so good. Fleetwood had to lean on dealer to get work done in timely manner. Fleetwood help desk was always great. We really like our Bounder. Only made one long trip & several shorter trips, it has been a good MH so far.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fleetwood Motorhomes General Opinion

We have a 2017 Bounder. Had a few issues but dealer took care of everything that need fixed.It's our 3rd Fleetwood and we have liked them all.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #9

My last RV was a Bounder and as someone else mentioned dealership where I purchased it from was beyond horrible, dealt with manufacturer and they were excellent. Saving for my next coach which will w/o a doubt be another Fleetwood product.

With any brand it's a crapshoot on what your getting and I would also say they are equals to a similarly priced RV.

In regards to models/years to stay away from, it really depends on what your looking for. Price, size etc.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought our Discovery LXE 40D for 206,000 in Mar 17 and so far have drove it 11,500 miles and 140 nights camping. We messed up the passenger seat closing a the slide which was our fault. Brought to the factory and they replaces the pedestal at our cost. There has been ZERO warranty items, I haven't had to tighten a door handle - NOTHING. Great Coach....
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #11

Don't discount the Fleetwood Factory Service Center multiple locations. IN, TX, OR and soon NV. That's getting close to coast to coast coverage for factory service centers. I'm unaware of any other manufacturer that has that commitment to after purchase support.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #12

We have owned a Fleetwood Discovery since 2008. My opinion is that for the money it's decent coach. I have replaced some door latches and drawer latches and find they are the same as a lot of higher end coaches. My experience with the new owners of Fleetwood has been outstanding. Everytime I called them they hooked me up with a very knowledgeable technician who helped me with every question I had. But when you compare you have to compares apples to apples. You shouldn't compare a $200,000 to a $400,000 coach.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #13

Shhhhh.... don't tell the Newmar guys

I have a 2014 Fleetwood Providence. I looked at Newmar, Winnebago and a few others also. I got "more bang for the buck" with the Providence.
I now have 15,000 miles and have not had a single problem with the motorhome portion. I did have a Cummins problem (fuel line) and a Freightliner problem (radiator gearbox), but nothing from the chassis up.

I have called Fleetwood twice to ask questions. They were very pleasant and eager to answer my questions.

If I were looking again today, Fleetwood would still be on my list.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Purchased a brand new '17 Fleetwood Discovery 39G (two bunk floor plan). It definitely was a decent rig for the dough. Had a few issues (as these things can).

One to note was, one time while driving, the full size residential fridge slid right out of the cabinets/hole toward the dinette (found that it wasn't even secured to anything at all). It was pretty scary and thankfully none of my family was sitting in the dinette at the time and our kids were sitting on the sofa when it happened. THANKFULLY!

The generic brand micro/convection oven that they use literally blew up after about 3 uses and there were a few other things that needed to be fixed as well. But, to Fleetwood's credit, they always responded to my calls and they told me that they would reimburse me for it if I got the items fixed, if I bought a new micro and shipped the fried micro back to them...and they did. (I replaced the micro/convection with a good Whirlpool Model, which worked great).

I found it to be very fatiguing to drive on long trips and after just a few hours, I was really done/beat. It was VERY loud with road/wind noise and constantly creaky in the dash area going down the road and very susceptible to wind/passing semis and road crowns etc... Also, it had 2 bunks and one bath...we have 3 kids, so there are 5 of us. Having one bathroom and having to set up and break down a bed every single day so it wasn't in the way got old FAST. We decided that what we really wanted 3 bunks and 2 baths (basically a bigger coach)...especially for comfort on long trips. Not bashing it by any means, just stating the truth and sharing my experience with it...and like I said it was a good amount of coach for the dough.

Three bunks and two baths is a VERY difficult find in a Class A DP! We found our perfect coach and bought a '15 Newmar London Aire 4599, which at the time had somewhere around 9000 miles on it. It checked pretty much all the boxes for us. It's fantastic, super quiet and an absolute pleasure to drive (even after 9 hrs I still feel relaxed) and we flat tow our GMC Denali Crew Cab p/u with no problem at all. We are really VERY pleased with it! Apples and oranges comparison I guess.

I sold the Fleetwood last spring. It served us well for the year and about 6500 miles that we had it and it definitely was good amount of coach for the money. It just didn't work for us.

It's really about what you want out of it, how you plan to use it and how long you want to keep it. IMO, one should buy what really suits them/their family best. If I had known then what I know now, I would have skipped that last step and just sought out and bought this one first. That's life though...

But, like the saying goes with these things (and even boats)... Your current coach teaches you what you want out of your next coach...lol

Anyway, just do your research, find a floor plan with options that work best for your family and most of all, have fun!!

Best of luck to you!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, motorhome, motorhomes