RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood or Thor

Not sure if this is the right forum I should post to or if I should have went to the general forum, but my wife and I have a found a floorplan we love and can afford but now we have a choice of the 2018 Fleetwood Bounder or the 2018 Thor Challenger. I know most people knock Thor on here, and maybe I'm mistaken, but the Challenger seems to be their premium Class A. So I guess my question is, if the floorplans are the same, and the price is the same, should I choose the Fleetwood or the Thor? Thanks in advance
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #2

We are in the same spot and decided that Fleetwood was the way to go. Most of the people we’ve talked to speak highly of the Fleetwood.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Never owned either brand but from what I read on here I would choose the Fleetwood!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
After owning a 2016 Bounder and 35,000 miles, we bought another Fleetwood.

I have never owned a Thor so I cant speak about their product.

Good Luck!
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our dealership sold both. I would choose the Fleetwood for sure. Carrying capacity is usually higher on the Fleetwood and Fleetwoods usually have fewer build problems. Of course the inside components are the same crap for both.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #6

Between the two I would choose Fleetwood. My previous Excursion was a good RV. Most of my issues on that RV were actually Freightliner related problems.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:14 PM   #7

Trust me stay away from Thor. I had a palazzo that felt like it was assembled in a 3rd world country. THOR does zero quality control. Fleetwood is in a different universe with their quality over Thor's.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Never again Thor !
Old 01-31-2020, 11:04 PM   #9

Wow thank you guys for your input. I will steer towards the Fleetwood now I believe. Thank you so much
Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
Wow thank you guys for your input. I will steer towards the Fleetwood now I believe. Thank you so much
You'll be much happier with Fleetwood.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #11

Muddying the waters here I guess. We are happy with our Challenger. Never had a Fleetwood to compare. Challenger is Thor's top gasser, but not its top Class A.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Bounder has been around for as long as I can remember. Before the Class A gas field was saturated with brands and models, the Bounder was always a standout and a good quality coach. Since it has been around so long, it holds it's value better and is more recognized, especially down the road when you look at resale.

Every brand has it's issues and I'm sure you'll find some small items that need repair, but I think your best bet is the Bounder. I've looked at a lot of Thor products and even worked on a couple. I just don't find them that well built.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #13

The 2019 version of "Motorhome Comparison Guide" by Randall Eaton has ratings for just about every motorhome manufactured. He uses a fairly complex methodology to rate all RV's based on such things as: construction, customer satisfaction, dealer rating, and resale value.
For 2018 he rates the Fleetwood Bounder at 93 and the Thor Challenger at 89. The differences being in construction and dealer rating. Construction is pretty straight forward in this case both manufactures start with the same chassis and build from there so a higher score in Randall's system would indicate the Fleetwood would have higher quality construction methods. The dealer rating is an interesting category in that it represents the dealer attitude towards the RV manufacture. This includes things like sales support, product support, service/warranty support, and management. After interviewing dealers across the US Randall ranks 26 manufactures with Tiffin at #1, Coachman at #26, Fleetwood at #17 and Thor Motor Coach at #25.
Conclusion being that these 2 coaches are pretty similar, definitely an apples-to-apples comparison. The buyer needs to do some extensive inspections, test drives, and other "tire kicking" things to make his own decision. Thor does have a tarnished reputation for less than average finish quality and there are many horror stories about Thor's indifference in addressing after sales problems. Fleetwood is now a part of the REV group and seems to have maintained their long term reputation as a quality manufacturer.

BTW, I have no financial interest in Randall Eaton's organization or publication. I found it to be a comprehensive compilation of Motorhome manufacturers with a logical and seemingly unbiased method to rate them. It's a highly recommended read for anyone looking to purchase a motorhome.

Good luck on your decision,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
The 2019 version of "Motorhome Comparison Guide" by Randall Eaton has ratings for just about every motorhome manufactured. He uses a fairly complex methodology to rate all RV's based on such things as: construction, customer satisfaction, dealer rating, and resale value.

For 2018 he rates the Fleetwood Bounder at 93 and the Thor Challenger at 89. The differences being in construction and dealer rating. Construction is pretty straight forward in this case both manufactures start with the same chassis and build from there so a higher score in Randall's system would indicate the Fleetwood would have higher quality construction methods. The dealer rating is an interesting category in that it represents the dealer attitude towards the RV manufacture. This includes things like sales support, product support, service/warranty support, and management. After interviewing dealers across the US Randall ranks 26 manufactures with Tiffin at #1, Coachman at #26, Fleetwood at #17 and Thor Motor Coach at #25.

Conclusion being that these 2 coaches are pretty similar, definitely an apples-to-apples comparison. The buyer needs to do some extensive inspections, test drives, and other "tire kicking" things to make his own decision. Thor does have a tarnished reputation for less than average finish quality and there are many horror stories about Thor's indifference in addressing after sales problems. Fleetwood is now a part of the REV group and seems to have maintained their long term reputation as a quality manufacturer.

BTW, I have no financial interest in Randall Eaton's organization or publication. I found it to be a comprehensive compilation of Motorhome manufacturers with a logical and seemingly unbiased method to rate them. It's a highly recommended read for anyone looking to purchase a motorhome.

Good luck on your decision,

Wow thank you so much for your information. I very much appreciate it. It’s information like this is why I appreciate this forum and community so much. Thanks again everyone who responded

Tags
fleetwood, thor