Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood Providence making noise

Hey guys, I just bought an 08 fleetwood providence. I was on my way home with it and my buddy behind me said it was making a lot of noise. Said it sounded like a train braking on the tracks. It’s a metal on metal sound and it comes and goes. Doesn’t do it at idle. Any ideas? It is coming from rear. It has the 8.3 Cummins if that helps
Buckly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can determine when the noise is occurring that would be helpful. You've probably ruled out the exhaust brake, correct?
Old 12-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My first question is whether it is related to engine running or only squeals when the coach is actually moving down the highway. The later opens up the possibility of running gear problems, e.g. suspension, transmission, differential, wheel bearings, etc. Otherwise it's probably internal to the engine, or water pump or fan.

If your buddy was driving behind you on the road and still heard the noise, it must have been really loud!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’d say grab a walkie or phone and hit the road with your buddy behind you again.
Try to determine if the noise is affiliated with service brakes by applying and releasing repeatedly or is it maybe trans/diff....apply and release accelerator repeatedly. Maybe a wheel bearing?

Have all fluids been checked? Power steering/hydraulic?

When at idle, have you revved the motor to change speed of the motor? Maybe a bearing on the idler, tensioner, water pump, etc.

Cycle the air compressor, cut in to cut out.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

Seems like it does do it when I let out the gas and the engine brake comes in. But it does it off and on just driving normal speeds also. It’s pretty loud
Old 12-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you don’t use the exhaust brake, does the same noise persist?

Presuming the same noise persists, does it change at all on acceleration or deceleration?

Does the noise change at all when applying the brakes?

Have you checked the trans fluid?
You can do it via the dipstick or, better yet, with the trans up to operating temp by the Allison gear selector controls. This is the preferred method really as it let you know when it’s happy.

Another thought could be related to the differential, rear axles, or wheel bearings?
Old 12-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Good idea from last post, try to turn-off the engine brake and see if you can isolate the noise.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #8

Had wife rev it alittle and I have the motor compartment open. I tried posting video but it won’t let me. When she revs it, you can hear it screech. Not like a belt squeal but like a train sounds stopping on tracks.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #9

With engine off, remove the belt and have her start it (yes, for a max of 30 seconds, but that should be plenty of time to see if the noise is the same/changes). Any difference?
Old 12-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Idler pulley heading south?
Old 12-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well the good news is that it seems you’ve ruled out the trans, diff, wheel bearings, brakes.

I think wolfe10’s suggestion make the most sense for the next step.
If your Providence is a rear wardrobe, you’ll get access to the top of the belt by removing the 4 large flathead bolts.
If it’s anything like mine, this cover is not actually removed, but pivoted up from the drivers side towards the passenger side. The carpet acts kind of like a hinge.

Not sure if you’re on a Spartan or Freightliner chassis, but fairly sure for both you’ll need a 1/2” dr breaker bar/ratchet to move that belt tensioner. I would plan on using a cheater bar too as when you are in that contorted position, you won’t have much leverage.

Also, before you do anything, I’d try to take as many pics as possible related to the belt routing.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Is it leaking turbo boost? Check all the clamps on the intake piping.

Idler or tensioner pully bearings are also suspect. Pull the belt and check them like wolfe10 said.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Get a cheap mechanic's stethoscope and listen to the idler and tensioner, as well as the alternator and any other accessories on belts.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #14

Okay guys, I believe it’s the clutch fan. Also, the belt is scared up pretty bad on the flat side where it’s rubbing tensioner. There is also a groove in the idler pulley. Has anyone ever changed a clutch fan without removing the radiator?

Tags
fleetwood, noise