Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Storm & Generator shutdown

We picked our first RV, a 2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H in Tucson and drove it to San Diego the next day. Loving every single minute of it!

On the way back (hot day, 104-106 most of the way), we were running the roof AC. The generator kept shutting down, sometimes it went for 20 minutes without stopping, a couple of times it went for close to one hour. We were able to restart it after we stopped for a few minutes. This sounds a lot like the issues they were/are having with the Thor ACE where the generator was too close to the engine causing it to shut down often.

Any Storm owners with similar issues?. What can be causing this?. We are going out again this coming weekend, dry camping so generator will be well used. We will see.
alonzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Check in your generator manual for information. Many generators have a method of reading error codes that are set by shut downs. Find out how to trigger the code and interpret it. If you don't have a manual, they are usually available for download at generator maker's website.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

We bought our coach new last year. On the Cummins Onan generator the fuel pump was bad. Had to be replaced.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Storm & Generator shutdown

Just curious, how much fuel was in the fuel tank. I am sure you already know but if it gets around 1/4 or so the generator will stop.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

Mine did it due to the low oil shutoff. It has a small oil reservoir of only 2 quarts and when the oil heats up and sloshes around on a hilly/bumpy roads it will trigger the low oil shutoff. Check your oil levels and do it often.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

Sorry, assumed it was a diesel. I take it that it is propane?
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzov View Post
We picked our first RV, a 2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H in Tucson and drove it to San Diego the next day. Loving every single minute of it!

On the way back (hot day, 104-106 most of the way), we were running the roof AC. The generator kept shutting down, sometimes it went for 20 minutes without stopping, a couple of times it went for close to one hour. We were able to restart it after we stopped for a few minutes. This sounds a lot like the issues they were/are having with the Thor ACE where the generator was too close to the engine causing it to shut down often.

Any Storm owners with similar issues?. What can be causing this?. We are going out again this coming weekend, dry camping so generator will be well used. We will see.

Check your manual and read about your generator. We have never had an issue living in AZ during the summer. Speak with your dealer also, they may educate you. The ACE issue was a design flaw the manufacturer ignored for years. This is the first thread on the Storm generator shutting down so it would suggest it's an issue just with your unit. Your coach fuel tank must also be above 1/4 to run your generator. Check your oil level, there are many issues it could be but you may need to take it to your dealer.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #8

We have the same unit as you. The oil level switch can trip on a rough road if you running the gen while traveling. Have you changed the oil to 15-40 synthetic yet?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
These units seem to come standard with bad fuel pumps. Ours didn't make it home from the dealer before it went bad. We carry a spare at all times. Keep in mind the fuel pump is an intermittent problem so it may seem like something else is causing the problem when in fact it is the fuel pump. No problems since we replaced ours and it was doing the exact same thing as yours.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #10

I took delivery of my Storm April 11th. All good so far. I have some small problems that aren't serious. We have made 5 trips so far and a total of about 25 nights. Just drove back to Sacramento from Huntington Beach for Fathers Day. Took 3/4 of a tank. After reading your post about your generator, I ran mine for the AC, a total of about 3 hours as we drove down the road. No unexpected shutdowns. However I do wish there was some indicator on the dash to see if it is running or shut down as you drive. It's hard to know after you hit the starter if it catches and is running with all the road noise. I think I will install a simple light to fix that problem.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #11

I've had the same problem with the generator shutting off while traveling. Spoke to an Onan rep and he thought it must be the low oil level switch triggering on rough roads. He suggested that I add oil to the maximum recommended level as indicated on the dip stick. I did that and have not had shutoff problems since.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
My MH isn't moving, and I'm having the same problem. Just bought a 2008 Winnebago 33V Adventurer last week. Called the previous owner and he said it may just need to be run. Longest I've gotten out of
It is 2 hours. Calling the dealer tomorrow.3/4 tank of fuel, clean filter, oils full. Guess it might be the fuel filter or fuel pump.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #13

I had the same problem in AZ as well. We thought it was due to the heat. So I waited for it to cool down. Fuel level was full. Oil level was fine as well. I changed the original oil before I left (at about 120 hours).

Then I looked at the air filter and saw a black-ish spot on the air filter. I turned the air filter so the black spot is away from the air intake. It's running fine now without any issue. I was in an area where I couldn't order a new air filter or find a cross-match. So I'll order one when I get back home.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had mine start acting up and it seemed like i might have to replace the fuel pump again. I took the fuel line off and hit prime. It spurted out like it should. I reconnected it and it has run fine without a shutdown in almost 100 hours. Not all at once of course but it has fun for 24 hours straight. I think it may have developed some kind of air pocket or water in the line and removing it and hitting prime somehow cleared it.

Tags
fleetwood, generator