Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #1

We've been impressed w/both Fleetwood and Winnebago MHs. Are there advantages/disadvantages of one brand vs the other?
alisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #2

We've been impressed w/both Fleetwood and Winnebago MHs. Are there advantages/disadvantages of one brand vs the other?
alisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:02 PM   #3

I've never owned a Fleetwood product so can't give a comparison on their line. I will say that I now have my second Winnebago. We did have another brand before buying our first Winnebago and I would never go that route again. Even though I have had several minor problems with both I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Winnebago.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:37 AM   #4

Over many years, we have owned a 24'Jamboree, a 34'Bounder, a 29'Jamboree, a 28'Bounder, another 34'Bounder, a 22'Minnie, and a 34'Suncruiser, in that order, and all worked well for us at the time. The Bounder is pretty much entry level, but great value for the money spent. We preferred the Minnie over the Jamboree as to overall quality and fit and finish, and the Suncruiser was far and away the best, again quality and fit and finish. It depends where you enter each manufacturer's product line, like it is not a fair comparison to compare a Bounder to a Suncruiser or sister Adventurer. In general though, all things considered, we believe that the Winnebago products are better designed, with higher quality construction, with more attention to detail, fit and finish, and are more durable and stand up better to the wear and tear of frequent use.

As to dealer service and warranty issues, we bought all of the coaches locally, had great service from both dealers, and did not have significant issues with either manufacturer.

However, after saying all of this, it still boils down to what works for each owner. We all have our favorite brands and models, and the responses to your post will probably fall pretty even on both sides of the issue. Good Luck! RZ

2005 Bigfoot 24SL
2004 GMC Envoy
Old 10-08-2005, 04:52 AM   #5

We too considered the same units that you are considering. We attended 2 different RV shows and visited several dealers trying to come to a decision. We had outgrown our old (83 Pace Arrow), and wanted something bigger, and more modern. Admittedly, I am over on (the OTHER RV forum) waaay more than I am here, but some of the posts I received from my questions, started suggesting that we consider a National RV product.
We hadn't even looked at them to this point, and one weekend the DW and I went to look at the Dolphin's and Seabreezes. WOW!! I'm talking night, and day. We've now had our Dolphin for 13 month's, and are tickled to death with it.
Give em a look. The attention to detail will probably amaze you.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:02 AM   #6

We considered Winnebago's (and a bunch of others) when we bought our DP a few months ago, but ultimately decided on Fleetwood. From our very limited experience with Winnie's I'd say they appear to be a good quality unit.

We had a Fleetwood fifth wheel which was a good machine and gave us minimal problems, then another brand motorhome that had a lot of small (and a few large) problems, then we moved back to Fleetwood for our present unit. We've had a couple of very minor things that were fixed by the dealer and overall this coach has been as reliable as anyone could ask for.

I don't see us trading again any time soon as our present rig is everything we've ever wanted in an RV and more. But if we were to buy again it would be another Fleetwood.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #7

We've only had our Winnebago for a few months now-but we were considering both Fleetwood and Winnebago before we bought. We ended up going w/ Winnebago-we feel they are built better , tested better and also wear better. Have heard many Winnebago owners who say there older Winnie shows practically no wear. We personally haven't heard that from a Fleetwood owner and we know plenty of them.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:32 AM   #8

I'm curious as to what is meant by that - what is the criteria for your survey? If you don't use something, it doesn't wear. If you use it, the statement "normal wear and tear" comes into play. I don't believe that anything can be used normally and never show signs of wear.
We use our coach every weekend, and for weeks at a time occasionally, and we take care of it. However, it does not look like the day we bought it - to expect it to is impossible. I have NEVER been in any coach that had been used that showed no signs of wear, and I've been in plenty.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:21 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Val:
I'm curious as to what is meant by that - what is the criteria for your survey? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it falls squarely under the realm of owner bias and can be discounted as such.

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #10

SteveVal--our friend has a Fleetwood 2001 and he takes very good care of his coach yet the carpet appears 'dirty'-even though he vacumes daily. Our other friend has a 92 Winnebago and yes it looks old yet the carpet and fabric does not look dirty or faded. Those are just two examples of many that we based our 'survey' of wear on. Please remember this is just our opinion of our many camping friends coaches.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #11

Lets me make sure that I have this right - your friend has a 5 yr old coach (we have NO idea what it is - FW makes a lot from 60,000 to $600,000 motorhomes), and the carpet appears dirty (he vacuums - how many times has it been cleaned?), and you're basing your selection of what is better based on that... Wear, or the appearance of, is something that in all my years I have never seen or heard of anyone choosing one brand over another. I have no idea how you would do this, and find it a strange test as well. Things like fit and finish, lack of problems, factory assistance, overall quality are understandable. Carpet cleanliness is a new one for me.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Old 10-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Val:
Lets me make sure that I have this right - your friend has a 5 yr old coach (we have NO idea what it is - FW makes a lot from 60,000 to $600,000 motorhomes), and the carpet appears dirty (he vacuums - how many times has it been cleaned?), and you're basing your selection of what is better based on that... Wear, or the appearance of, is something that in all my years I have never seen or heard of anyone choosing one brand over another. I have no idea how you would do this, and find it a strange test as well. Things like fit and finish, lack of problems, factory assistance, overall quality are understandable. Carpet cleanliness is a new one for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to agree, fit finish, support, warranty etc.. would rank higher than fabric and carpet wear
Old 10-30-2005, 03:54 AM   #13

Ok I will through in my $0.02 here as well. Being a Newmar person I would like to know what made you decide to limit your selection down to Fleetwood and Winnebago. I agree both make some good MH in different models. Was it floorplans, reliability, factory support, dealer service, previous ownership? I'm not trying to flame you or anyone else, just trying to find what everyone is baseing their opinions on. In order for a recommendation to be given there has to be specifics to the recomendation. Such as I have owned such and such and I have not had any problems in the 3 years I have owned it. Plus lets hear the problems you have had. I know that we all like to tell what a great MH we have but we all have had problems of one type or another, so let's hear them.
I don't know why Newmar was eliminated from your short list but I think it is one of the better built coaches. Better than Fleetwood and at present better than Winnabago and I will tell why I feel that way. I have a '02 KSDP that I did purchase used. Coach is in better than very good condition. Previous owners took very good care of the unit and the mechanics. Fellow campers I go with have '03 Fleetwood Discovery's , '03 Winnie Ultimate Freedom, '04 Vectra, '04 Dutch Star and '03 Dutch Star. Winnies are in the shop once a month for something, Monitor system (twice), Jacks, genny, battery's going dead, compartment door latches breaking. Newmars have been in shop twice, elect awning would not retract, entry assist handle broke. Fleetwood- Carpet came unraveled (on two units), tile came loose, cabinets came loose from wall, 2 drawers started coming apart, compartment dooe latches broke, rear frame extension not square (from factory)3 week repair.
So you see I don't think one manufacturer is better than another. You just find a floorplan that fits your needs. Second most important thing is finding a dealer that dosen't B.S. you and will do as he say he will. Service is what it is all about after the sale.
You didn't say if you where looking at new or used.

Derek aka Mindcandies
Old 10-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #14

Derek, I don't like to get into recommending brands, it's too subjective. Seems like evryone will want you to buy what they have. Every one has problems. I've spoke to Newmar owners that have had nightmares like everyone else.
We've owned 3 Fleetwoods - a 99 Southwind, 03 Discovery, and our current rig.
No problems to speak of. Nothing that would make me want to get rid of it. Our current coach is just about a year old, and the only thing I've had worked on was the body - where someone backed into my rear corner.

You say " So you see I don't think one manufacturer is better than another. You just find a floorplan that fits your needs. Second most important thing is finding a dealer that dosen't B.S. you and will do as he say he will. Service is what it is all about after the sale."

That's the best advice that anyone can give.

2005 Revolution LE 40E