RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #1

Flexsteel Capt Chair Alternatives

As many know Flexsteel is now out of RV business so we are evaluating custom recovering (likely w UltraLeather) vs replacement.
I'm sure straight replacement will be at least 2X $ but wondering if others have replaced and can re or end replacements they are pleased with and might be more comfortable.
I wish I had the seats from my old '03 Wbgo as they were real leather and very comfortable. The Flexsteel seats seem shorter and not nearly as comfortable.
Any highly recommended sources and makes / models?
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Don --

The captain and co-pilot Flexsteel chairs in my 2016 Ventana LE have suddenly developed a small area on each chair where the vinyl 'leather' has start to crack and flake a bit. I contacted Newmar Customer Service and their response was they recognized that failure of the seat material was an "industry problem" and that the Flexsteel chairs are only warranted for 12 months. Newmar also told me that while my chairs are out of the warranty period they do want to help address my problem. As such Newmar Customer Service offered new "covers" or new chairs with a 50% price discount. They advised me to contact Newmar Parts to order the chair covers or new chairs.

Suggest you contact Newmar and explain your situation and tell them to offer you the same assistance. Let me know if you want a copy of the email I received from Newmar with their guidance.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
As many know Flexsteel is now out of RV business so we are evaluating custom recovering (likely w UltraLeather) vs replacement.
I'm sure straight replacement will be at least 2X $ but wondering if others have replaced and can re or end replacements they are pleased with and might be more comfortable.
I wish I had the seats from my old '03 Wbgo as they were real leather and very comfortable. The Flexsteel seats seem shorter and not nearly as comfortable.

Have you price a upholstery shop to recover?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
The drivers captains chair in my 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador was killing me after about 2 hours. The back of my thighs would feel like they were on fire! So when we took our coach to Classic Coach Works a couple weeks ago for new floors, I also decided to have them rebuild both captains chairs with closed cell foam for better support and had them covered with Ultra Leather that will match the new tile floors and carpet. To be honest this is the only real part of the renovations that I felt was over-priced (I may be wrong) but I think I'll be glad I spent the money. The price to rebuild both Flexsteel chairs and cover with Ultra Leather was $2600. I might have been able to get a better price from a local upholstery shop but would the quality be the same??? Classic Coach Works is top notch in the quality of their work department. Hope this gives you an idea about the price to rebuild your chairs.

We're supposed to go pick the coach up this week so I'll post some pics and give a review when we get back home.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Don --

Suggest you contact Newmar and explain your situation and tell them to offer you the same assistance. Let me know if you want a copy of the email I received from Newmar with their guidance.
I have heard that from others but I'm the third owner of our 2013 Ventana so doubt they will offer much. Besides I'm not real anxious to put Flexsteel skins back on as I'm skeptical about durability.
I'm willing to pay for a better quality material for recover but wanted to see if others had replaced with other complete capt chairs and had good reviews.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Have you price a upholstery shop to recover?
In the works. I have talked to them via phone and sent dimensions & photos waiting for a quote or at least an estimate.
My guess from telecon is around $1,000/ seat with UltraLeather.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #7

EZRider800
That price isn't too far off my guesstimate of $1000/seat with UltraLeather.
I'm not really satisfied with the comfort of the FlexSteel seats as is. The seat seems short and not real comfy after a few hrs. My old Wbgo seats were real leather seat surface and a LOT more comfy.
I was curious if others felt the same and found alternatives
I'll take a look at your suggestion and would welcome any inputs when you get them back.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
In the works. I have talked to them via phone and sent dimensions & photos waiting for a quote or at least an estimate.
My guess from telecon is around $1,000/ seat with UltraLeather.
Got an estimate back from upholstery shop
Labor each seat ~ $800
Material 7 Yds ~ $200 Fabric- (their lowest $) $700 Ultraleather (my est)

So at $1,500 / seat I'm think twice about just looking for replacements but will keep digging.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Got an estimate back from upholstery shop
Labor each seat ~ $800
Material 7 Yds ~ $200 Fabric- (their lowest $) $700 Ultraleather (my est)

So at $1,500 / seat I'm think twice about just looking for replacements but will keep digging.
Well, thanks for posting this. I feel better about spending $1300 per seat now. Especially since he was going to totally rebuild the seats with closed cell foam that would hold up better under my 230 pounds. The stock foam bottomed out pretty quick and began to hurt after a couple hours.

One note, the ultra leather we chose had micro perforations in the leather which allowed the leather to "breathe". He said this would also make it more comfortable as my butt wouldn't get so hot. Not to mention the fact that the seats match our new tile floor and carpeting perfectly!!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #10

The Flexsteel covers split and failed on my rig. Tiffin no longer had the ability to get us the replacement covers. I got prices from the local auto interior shops, they really were not excited about doing motorhome seats, but wanted $1000 to $1200 plus materials. Found the interior shop at the airport that has done many and said aircraft rated wool material and vinal was $1500 each with all new closed cell foam. They had them for 2 weeks and they look and feel wonderful. Well worth the money to us for the workmanship we received.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air