Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Floor plans....

I may be in the position to move from a fiver to a motorhome, if I were to ever find a floor plan that we like. So, looking for recommendations from the experts. Priorities are:

Kitchen - Counter space and cupboards.

Bathroom - bigger is better.

Living area - ability to put two 30" sit/stand desks and office chairs, don't mind getting rid of dining table or other furniture, as long as I can have a comfortable reclining couch.

We both work from home, and this last requirement seems to be the killer. Wife says fiver feels like home, and motorhomes don't.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
First and foremost, keep the wife happy.

If you do get a motor home, you will find it very convenient for passengers to get a snack, bathroom breaks, etc while under way. Be sure that those areas are accessible with the slides all in. The salesman will have the slides all out to give the interior a more spacious feeling but a counter or couch might block the rear access when retracted.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

New or used? There are a gazillion floor plans, so you just have to hunt for one that suits. A lot of them are much alike, what the 70th or 80th percentile of buyers like, but there are always others. Especially if willing to remodel. Most any 40-45 ft coach with two slides in the living area should have room for desks, even with a large galley area and a nice couch or recliner. A 14 ft slide could hold two nice desks with a couch & galley on the opposite side. Center bath units, whether walk-thru or side aisle, usually have a generous shower and wash area. Alternatively, a full rear bath leaves room up front.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You don't mention your budget or the size of the Class A your interested in. I have no doubt that there is a Class A that fits your needs.

I personally would spend the money on an older (high end) coach. But that means you need to find the floor plan you like for sale, rather than ordering a new coach with the floor plan you want.

For bathroom, my coach has a separate toilet area with sink, and another area with a vanity/sink, so one can have privacy on toilet while spouse is using the other sink. Also there are floor plans with a second toilet. We liked this plan (rear bathroom for bedroom and a second toilet available for guests). We didn't get this plan, but it would have been nice.

Regarding storage space. I have way more than I need. I don't full time so I only pack what is needed for short trips (max of week) however I have many empty cabinets and a ton of unused basement storage. Of course the bigger the coach the more room for storage.

There are a lot of plans that have a office/desk setup. And it would not be too difficult to add something if you were to get a used coach without the desk setup.

Here is an example of my floor plan. Note the optional way sit could have been built (desk/computer space, tub instead of shower, etc.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver Vicksburg Floorplan.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	199470  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

Access to the rear of the coach when slides are In is important, and this includes access to the refrigerator, too.

Most larger MHs have opposing couches. Ours has one couch, and a desk and recliner on the other side. Removing all couches allows you to place recliners/chairs in the main living area.

Counter space is easy to see in floorplans, and hard to find enough to be able to place other appliances on it. Find something with an "L" counter that can hold things.

Measure shower stalls; there are some variations and you don't want the tiny ones.

If storage is a necessity, think about a rear radiator coach and no tag axle. That frees up as much basement as is possible.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

So, obviously, more details needed.

We full time.

Budget of $100k, would stretch for the right rig.

Older DP - been looking at 2000-2008 Monaco, Tiffin, HR, Winnebago, etc.

Tow capacity - Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. This is the vehicle the wife wants, so it's a must have!

Willing to remodel - we're finishing the main area of the fiver we're in right now, so can do again.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
S
Older DP - been looking at 2000-2008 Monaco, Tiffin, HR, Winnebago, etc.
Since you are in the "older model" range, stay below 2007. The emissions control devices were starting to be added to the 2007 - 2008+ model years, and there were problems with the early designs (not to mention the added cost of parts and service when something fails).
Old 04-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

Is there any place to see multiple floor plans for multiple manufacturers in a given year, or do I just need to look individually?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Is there any place to see multiple floor plans for multiple manufacturers in a given year, or do I just need to look individually?
The manufacture's website (i.e. Tiffin, REV Group for Monaco, etc.) will usually have floor plans (Brochures) available for the older models.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
It might help you to post a floorplan or two, along with your comments about what you like and don't like about them. Somebody might notice that their coach's plan might fit what you think you want.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
It might help you to post a floorplan or two, along with your comments about what you like and don't like about them. Somebody might notice that their coach's plan might fit what you think you want.
After looking at a couple hundred on RVTrader, I'm struggling to find one that works! I like either rear living or den fivers.

L shaped kitchen, or island. Counter space is important!

Couch across from TV - not looking sideways.

This one here is the closest I've found:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...2QD-5001855843
Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As mentioned, getting around the coach when the slide(s) are in was important to us. The right floor plan for us ended up being one full slide on the driver side and an outdoor kitchen. We can access everything except a couple of bedroom lower cabinet drawers. I just don’t like having a slide out into the patio area when camping as I would likely walk into it on a regular basics! But that’s just me.

Good luck on your search.

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
aknavy --

You don't state where you currently live, but if you area has an RV consignment business those dealers often post floor plans of available motorhomes. In the greater Houston area, PPL Motorhomes is a large consignment dealer that provides floor plans for the motorhomes they are selling (dozens of them!).

For example, PPL Motorhomes has good condition a 38 foot long 2007 Damon Astoria Pacific with only 13,500 miles for only $66,000 --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...cific_rv-36655

Two years ago when I upgraded from a 30 foot travel trailer to a motorhome, my timing was "perfect" in that PPL Motorhomes had a 'near new condition" 39 foot 2007 Damon Astoria (non-Pacific edition) with only for an asking price of $65,000 with rather desperate sellers. I was able to negotiate down to $66,000 which included a new refrigerator. My Damon has been fantastic!

If you have a large family or expect lots of visitors (like I have for an LSU football tailgating weekend), as posted above "opposing couches" in "opposing slide outs" is nice to give lots of open space / seating area.

Look through the PPL Motorhomes "diesel motorhomes" section of their website to get an idea of the many types of floorplans and amenities available in your price range. Hope this helps!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
After looking at a couple hundred on RVTrader, I'm struggling to find one that works! I like either rear living or den fivers.

L shaped kitchen, or island. Counter space is important!

Couch across from TV - not looking sideways.

This one here is the closest I've found:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...2QD-5001855843
That's a very nice example, for sure.
1. Have the seller send photos looking down the interior with slides IN. It would seems that all that furniture might be a PITA to arrange prior to the slides retracting.
2. No slide where the awning goes needs to be weighed against wanting more interior space if you don't sit outside very often.
3. Anything over 40' can become a deal-breaker for a number of campgrounds. Suggest you check those that you might use just to be sure.

Tags
floor