Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Flooring

Greeting everyone !
I have a 2002 Travel Supreme in great condition.
It has a ton of options including Aqua Hot, Traveler Dish, King Jack HD antenna, new carpet, MCD shade , etc. The roof has been totally resealed and painted. New slide toppers , and awnings, new shocks, airbags.
I would like to replace the tile flooring in the kitchen and bath area. Not sure whether the tile is ceramic or porcelain. Trying to avoid a product with grout.
I would like to change it to some kind of planking.
There are some great advances in vinyl planking , however I believe it is not glued down (free floating ). Does anyone out there have any suggestions or products that they have installed that was successful .

Regards!
goldcreekrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
You will find lots of information with a search of this site on plank flooring. I did mine freefloating as we have extreme temps -40 to +100 and it does shrink and creep. I have heard others on this site use glue and be perfectly happy too. Good luck, its a fairly easy experienced DYI project.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I went engineered flooring route and glued down. 4th year and no problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	WCDCN2M-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	264134
Old 10-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #4

What all is involved when dealing with slides? I have an 09 Southwind and was told the slide may have to be removed to install flooring?
stuey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I am not familiar with the Southwind Slides. My slide did not need removed was able to work under it and on top.
This is a link going through my install.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hard...re-289619.html
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcreekrd View Post
Greeting everyone !
I have a 2002 Travel Supreme in great condition.
It has a ton of options including Aqua Hot, Traveler Dish, King Jack HD antenna, new carpet, MCD shade , etc. The roof has been totally resealed and painted. New slide toppers , and awnings, new shocks, airbags.
I would like to replace the tile flooring in the kitchen and bath area. Not sure whether the tile is ceramic or porcelain. Trying to avoid a product with grout.
I would like to change it to some kind of planking.
There are some great advances in vinyl planking , however I believe it is not glued down (free floating ). Does anyone out there have any suggestions or products that they have installed that was successful .

Regards!

Interested in the feedback for your post. We are in the middle of tearing out 2 layers of carpet plus padding in our '96 Daybreak. The plan is to install vinyl plank because it would seem to be more durable with our cat coming along. I ordered a Makita carpet cutter to save my husband (hopefully) a few hours of wear and tear from the utility knife he's using now. It should work to cut vinyl also. One of many projects ongoing for this fixer.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I went engineered flooring route and glued down. 4th year and no problems.
Attachment 264134
Hi Spk64, by chance - do you remember how many Sq ft you ended up using?
I think I need to replace the front carpet with something that is easier to clean.
I assume there is a fair amount of board waste with all the cuts that have to be done. Nice job BTW!
Old 10-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #8

We are in the process of installing Gravity loose lay flooring in (Rocky color) in a friends Monaco Diplomat. It is a vinyl plank that is 9 inches X 48 inches and is cut square on the edges and is glued down. It can be pulled up with a little effort so if a piece gets damaged and you buy some extra it is very easy to replace. Check it out . Gravity loose lay vinyl flooring.
Dave
Old 10-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey93 View Post
What all is involved when dealing with slides? I have an 09 Southwind and was told the slide may have to be removed to install flooring?
We replaced all carpet,vinyl and the fake wood floor in the kitchen in our '02 southwind with deluxe vinyl planks. Did not have to remove the slide but, we do have to be careful when bringing the slide in as anything under it will scratch the new floor.

I got creative with a strip of the flooring to over hang the front edge of the slide to create a seamless line.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

Here are a few photos of what we did. The first shows the vinyl going in over the thin insulation/vapor barrier (helps a little with cold feet and road noise). The other two are after we were all done with the remodel and furniture is in so the floors are not completely visible but they are the best I have. I also put down some very thin plywood floor sheeting to accommodate the few raised carriage bolt heads in the floor (notched out the plywood cor the bolt heads to slip into=level sub floor)Click image for larger version

Name:	20171129_173157.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	264178Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1527300379193.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	264179Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1527300446717.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	264180