Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #1

Flooring question

Looking to replace the carpet in my 2004 Georgia Boy Pursuit Motorhome. What works best laminate or Vinyl planks?
Dfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2021, 05:32 AM   #2

I don’t know which is best - but we’re having ours replaced right now with laminate. Can’t wait to get it back (Thursday) to see how we like it.
jonmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm going with a LVT 12x24 style tile look since most planks look like wood and there is enough wood finish in our RV. Its installation is the snap together edges and floating type. The top surface finish is textured and not a glossy finish to help prevent slips. The material is all waterproof and should prevent any issues if it gets wet.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The guru for flooring is Ernie Ekberg.

https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring

Join his group and you can see pictures of coaches he has done and he is very forthcoming in answering any questions you have.

Per Ernie, glued down, engineered hardwood flooring is the way to go.

I replaced all of my carpeting with hand scraped engineered hardwood flooring. With the hand scraped, you can easily repair any nicks, etc. and it blends in. We glued the flooring down. One thing I learned in doing this is that because of the confined space, it is much easier to back butter each piece rather than spread the glue across the floor.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
Community Moderator

We went with vinyl planks, DW likes it. Check out your local lumber liquidators for selections.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
The guru for flooring is Ernie Ekberg.

https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring

Join his group and you can see pictures of coaches he has done and he is very forthcoming in answering any questions you have.

Per Ernie, glued down, engineered hardwood flooring is the way to go.

Yup..We have the March 15th slot to do our coach.
Going with the Hickory..sawblade marks and all....
We are undecided whether to replace the carpet in the bedroom or just go wood all the way...The carpet is additional insulation, heat/cold and sound abatement for the floor in the bedroom.....rear engine diesel, straight pipe with a small resonator..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We pulled out all of the carpet and had planks put down in the entire coach except where there was already tile. Much easier to keep clean and the DW loves it.

Happy wife, happy life.

PS, the guy who installed it said he would never do another coach as long as he lives.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
RV Renovations and RV Service | Classic Coach Works recommended the luxury vinyl flooring so we went that route and couldn't be happier. It's really beautiful and easy to clean. We got rid of all the carpet except the strip on the drivers side slide out where it was necessary to keep it. There, we upgraded to a luxury grade carpet that has a lifetime guarentee not to fade. The thing that made the biggest difference for our coach was doing the stairwell entry area. It's a night and day difference from before. I'll post a few pics. SOrry they turn sideways on this forum only. They show up fine everywhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	317273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	317274  

Name:	IMG_1175.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	317275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	317276  

EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #9

I went with the Coretec laminate floor planks. Totally waterproof. Chose the hickory look and it was fairly inexpensive. My son and I installed it over the course of 3 weekends. We are very pleased with how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34BDE4C2-F6F3-445A-941F-79BCB7227AF7.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	317343   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5B265CC-7576-4375-82E5-C02FE5C863CC.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	317344  

Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
I went with the Coretec laminate floor planks. Totally waterproof. Chose the hickory look and it was fairly inexpensive. My son and I installed it over the course of 3 weekends. We are very pleased with how it turned out.
Your floors really turned out nice!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vinyl is waterproof and more temperature stable than laminate, and you can glue it down if you like. If you choose laminate, buy a top quality grade so that it holds up better under the widely varying humidity and temperatures that RVs are exposed too. Should also resist scratching better. The better stuff starts around $3/sq-ft and since an RV is small it doesn't add a lot to the cost of the job.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

I used urethane glued down engineered wood. PITA to install but looks much nicer than the dated carpet and tile.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #13

Been considering changing the carpet for a while. How are people trimming flooring around the curved driver and passenger dash area and down around steps in the well? Normally in a house it's hidden by molding. But ours is all complex curved. Any pics would be appreciated
crossle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossle32 View Post
Been considering changing the carpet for a while. How are people trimming flooring around the curved driver and passenger dash area and down around steps in the well? Normally in a house it's hidden by molding. But ours is all complex curved. Any pics would be appreciated
I used the "Smartcore Naturals" product from Lowes, completely waterproof and seems to be WAY more durable than the hand-scraped product (with an MDF core) used in my house - I'll never go with an MDF core again. Not waterproof AT ALL.

For dealing with the borders and complex shapes.... Under the dash or at cabinets, I would flip the last piece around backwards (so the "good" end that will mate with the existing floor is against the obstruction) and mark the piece where it overlaps the existing floor. This will result in the "blank" end landing right at the wall / obstruction.

Now if that wall is curved, it gets a bit trickier. You would need to move the new piece over to a flat section of the same length to get the length measurement... But then for the curve, depending on how precise you wanted to make it, you would need to eyeball the shape onto the piece and cut with a dremel or a jigsaw. Aim for the cuts to be LONG so you can shape it back a little at a time - you'll get the hang of it pretty fast.

For things where there can be an overlap - heater vents, stepwell areas - just build the wood over the gap and use a trim router bit that has the bearing below to follow the contour of the underside hole. FOR HEATERS - I found that my original holes were NOT square or positioned properly, so I ended up using the router bit and marking how I wanted them (smaller than the existing hole) to appear. A bit more tricky to achieve, but then the heating covers will hide small imperfections in the cuts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-12-16 18-48-58.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	317494   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-16 19-45-15.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	317495  

Tags
floor, flooring