Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #1

Flooring Remodel Questions for Class A

Greetings!

I was wondering what general practices I need to keep in mind when I replace my Class A flooring.

Currently it is wood and carpet with a plywood subfloor.

I want to completely replace it with plywood and apply a nice finish to it.

My questions so far:

1. What is the best way to obtain as seemless a look as possible between the laid plywood panels? A relative of mind has a stained plywood floor and I think it looks fantastic. The only thing I do not like is how you can see all the edges. Is it possible to get a seamless look, if so how?

2. What kind of things do I need to do overall for the plywood floor when installing to prevent breakage from twisting & torsion of the coach?

Is installing it as a floating floor recommended - yes or no? Advantages vs disadvantages?

3. How much insulation is best to install under it, and what kind?

4. Is a vapor barrier of some kind needed under the floor?

5. I am tossing around the idea of installing heated flooring elements under the plywood to keep the floor nice and warm during the winter. Is this a bad idea for plywood?

I might think of more questions as I explore this more!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #2

Are you replacing the existing subfloor? Don't know how you could possibly put plywood over plywood and still have your slides operable.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
Are you replacing the existing subfloor? Don't know how you could possibly put plywood over plywood and still have your slides operable.
Thank you for responding!
I am repairing some sections of the subfloor that are worn out.

I do not have slides in my motorhome.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Greetings!

I was wondering what general practices I need to keep in mind when I replace my Class A flooring.

Currently it is wood and carpet with a plywood subfloor.

I want to completely replace it with plywood and apply a nice finish to it.

My questions so far:

1. What is the best way to obtain as seemless a look as possible between the laid plywood panels? A relative of mind has a stained plywood floor and I think it looks fantastic. The only thing I do not like is how you can see all the edges. Is it possible to get a seamless look, if so how?

2. What kind of things do I need to do overall for the plywood floor when installing to prevent breakage from twisting & torsion of the coach?

Is installing it as a floating floor recommended - yes or no? Advantages vs disadvantages?

3. How much insulation is best to install under it, and what kind?

4. Is a vapor barrier of some kind needed under the floor?

5. I am tossing around the idea of installing heated flooring elements under the plywood to keep the floor nice and warm during the winter. Is this a bad idea for plywood?

I might think of more questions as I explore this more!
Dont think you will get a seamless look , also most plywood will need an expansion joint because of expansion but that could be a no issue in a a small area but would leave a bit of a space on edges atleast . Even without the need of an expansion joint you will still see joints

As far as floating floor , can't do this with plywood, generally a floating floor is interlocking or some type vinyl plank with the stick together edges that go over and under each other . No issue I can think of concerning twisting or breaking but you will need to secure it to your subflooring which is generally done with screws . As far as insulation under floor, you gotta consider you will be raising the height unless you are talking about insulating under coach . Adding insulation also makes for a not so solid base for your plywood. Honestly, with the extra time and effort to finish plywood to make it look presentable I would remove your old carpet and lay either a pre finished interlocking engineered wood floor or a interlocking vinyl like I recently did in my MH. A couple bucks a sqft and you have a almost waterproof floor , with all sorts of colors and wood looking finishes .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No slides make it easier but . . .

I think an actual plywood floor is a bad idea. Plywood isn't designed to be a floor. Slivers alone would do it for me. Ouch!

As I understand it, you are thinking of repairing any sub-floor issues then putting a new solid surface covering rather than carpeting. Easier to clean but as you have no doubt noted, cold on the tootsies.

I suggest you have a look at the so-called luxury vinyl planking. Lots of attractive patterns and colours. Waterproof. Easy to install and easy to replace a plank or two if necessary later on. I started on this in my RV last fall before freezeup. Hope to finish it up next month when things thaw.

Insulation would help keep things warmer but may not be strong enough to not dent or compress under flooring.
Is electric heat even possible under vinyl, wood, or carpet unless if it is not embedded in cement or similar? Gotta check on that.
The thicker your flooring material, the more adjusting and trimming you'll need to do to doors, etc. Will headroom be an issue with a higher floor?

Lots to think about and plan for. Let us know how it turns out!
Bobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #6

Do you know the subfloor to be plywood? Most of the pictures of subfloors (and mine) are not.

All I can answer of your questions are:

no, you don't need a moisture barrier. Those are used when laying over porous materials like cement. You'll see when you take yours up that there is none there now.

There might be a gap of some inches between the subfloor and the bottom pan of the coach. Mine had enough to put a sheet of 1" over a sheet of 1.5" blue Styrofoam insulation down and then cover with new plywood. I floated vinyl plank over that.

You can't make plywood look seamless and also preserve the grain. You'd need to putty it somehow, and the straightness would still show. I'd go the opposite direction and emphasize the seams with a contrasting beading.

Plywood makes for a soft deck that mars easily. That's one reason why you don't see it too often. It's also very heavy compared to actual flooring.

The above observations about slides are also valid. I had to work to keep within about a millimeter of the original floor height to preserve my slide orientation.

You didn't name your class A, which would help.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post

You didn't name your class A, which would help.
1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Old 03-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

We removed our carpet only and installed the vinyl planking. Fairly easy to do but installed it to float. It floated to much now I have some small gaps. If I did it again I would look at material where I could add a heated floor for the COLD winter days in Central Florida
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I need to lift my floating floor and glue it down, sub freezing temps have opened the seams and they will not stay connected now. Floating will not work with vinyl unless you can maintain a temp above 50 degrees, package said that and I didn't listen so now I need to redo.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you can't just install plywood as floating- humidity will make it buckle
you have to screw and glue it
when you screw and glue it you will see the screw heads
and no matter how much urethane you put on it- will still look unfinished
and ugly
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #11

Besides wood, what other good options for rv flooring are available that will give a very smooth surface that can be painted & sealed?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
nothing
why do you want to make your coach ugly?
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

You might want to take an afternoon and wander through some rigs at the used RV lot. See how folks have renovated their interiors and what they have used.

Many types of engineered hardwood, vinyl plank, bamboo, etc planking are waterproof and interlocking. Then there's the traditional sheet vinyl, vinyl tiles, ceramic tiles, etc. A stroll through the local building superstore will get you acquainted with current technologies.

Remember that a motorhome is a rolling 8.2 earthquake. The floor is twisting and heaving with every turn of the tires. The flooring also expands and contracts with temperature. Whatever you make a floor out of needs to be able to flex pretty freely without coming undone. Large, rigid areas, excessive anchor points, and brittle materials don't lend to that goal. Thin, short planks and tiles, floating installations and flexible materials do. Weight is an issue. durability . . .
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
nothing
why do you want to make your coach ugly?
Well, some folks like blood sausage and lutefisk. Distaste and aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder.

Since I'm not going to sell my motorhome to you or anyone else, I might as well customize it the way I want. [emoji2]

Tags
class a, floor, flooring, remodel