Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flooring the front of a gas puller

I've done some research and I'm not finding any great information. Hopefully some of you folks have done this or have thought about it.

We're replacing the flooring in our Pace Arrow, this isn't for fun but because of a leak. Since this is a gas puller, the motor is up in the front and we had to pull the insulated blanket from the floor up there. Most of what I read about flooring people choose to use carpet in the front.

Has anyone decided to use laminate flooring in the front of a puller?

What did you do about that insulated blanket?

Were can I get a blanket like that and any ideas how to flor over it?

Thanks,

Keith

geekyexplorers.com
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
can you post a couple of photos? that will give me a better idea of what needs to be done.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pics of Floor

Ernie,

Thanks for taking a look at this, we're not getting any great ideas on it right now.

I hope these are easy enough to see what we're trying to do. There is a picture of the blanket that was there (high temp) and where we stopped the floor behind the chairs. The floor did get warm when we were traveling so we're pretty sure we need something to protect the flooring from the engine temperature.

We're trying to figure out where to get a blanket like that and floor over it or get some relatively hard insulation that will protect from the temps and support the flooring.

Thanks,

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130316_114006.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	34996   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130316_114013.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	34997  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130316_114034.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	34998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5137.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	34999  

Old 03-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

That must be why I have seen new laminate flooring always stop before the seats. Would you consider new carpet in the front or hard set on laminate?

I just checked two gas MH's on-line. They have flooring up to the back of the front seats. Then they have carpet.

I guess you can use laminate everywhere but the engine doghouse. They must stop the laminate just behind the front seats to give the flooring a squared off look.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Not only is that a heat deflection mat, its used for sound, also. JC Whitney may have something like that. I think, since the doghouse has a rounded edge, you might be better off, stopping the hard surface where you have it, adding some more of that mat and carpet on top of that. That would give you another layer of insulation/sound. Don't forget to add a piece of trim where you stop your hard surface- makes it look finished.
ps- it seems that where the insulation mat is located, that there is steel under that and the entire front may not be flat.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #6

We are thinking along similar lines. Looking at your pictures, and my MH, not only do you have the doghouse to cover, but there are the curves at the firewall and the edging at the steps. In early discussions we were advised to leave the carpet in front or replace it with carpet.
If carpet is a problem for you, perhaps you can find a flexable flooring like the products used in sport centers or on the side floors of ice-rings.
Keep us posted on your progress. Our remodel is probably only a summer away.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So ya'll are reading my mind. I've put down about every type of flooring so the environment (level floor and temperature) is more of a concern than the problem of flooring around the dog house.

So I've found a product called 'supressor' that will dampen the temp and noise from the motor. It also doesn't compress so it should support the laminate (allure) flooring. It is .75" thick so there will be an edge behind the chairs but the allure should be fine laying right on it. We're going to leave the doghouse itself carpeted and the kick plates in the front carpeted as well.

Once I get the front done I'll take pictures and post what it comes out like. I think we might do something else with the doghouse - once the floor looks nice I think the DW will want to see something else done with it.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For what a mfgt has decided to do with this idea take a look at the Thor Motor Coach front engine gassers, like the Outlaw.

Carpet just doesn't work in a Toyhauler...so, for 2013 they have removed all the carpet from the floor except a tiny amount around the slide - it covers the slide seam, I think.

They use a composite to make the doghouse - just like current mfgt fullsized vans, and under the doghouse is a sound deadening mat with water barrier.

Do you know what material is under your doghouse carpet? If you know how to work fiberglass you could go for a new doghouse surface...or it could be covered with a heavy vinyl also.

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking along the same lines

Scarab0088 -- we were thinking the same thing. We don't want to introduce another material so I'm considering ways to make the doghouse safe to step on and still look nice without being carpeted.

Keep the ideas coming!

Keith

Tags
gas