Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #1

Flooring under the slides

We are doing some remodeling on our 04 Phaeton. Everything is still in good shape but I'm not crazy about the elegance Tiffin provided and prefer the modern cave man look (lucky to have a wife that goes alng with me). With that the brass light fixtures are being replaced along with the fancy window valances and accordion window shades. I also just removed the FlexSteel sofa and am replacing it with a new Thomas Payne.

I am planning to replace the carpet and vinyl flooring with some type of wood plank. The place I am stumped is how to get the old flooring out and new plank in under the slide rollers. We have one long slide out the entire length of the kitchen and living area. It has three wide rubber rollers that roll on the tile and carpet. Two of the rollers have adjustment bolts on the floor in the kitchen cabinets and the other has one under where the new couch will go.

Right now I'm looking at retracting the rollers all the way and jacking up the slide from the interior enough to slide in new flooring. Does anyone with experience have a better method?
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #2

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/mou...394089-25.html

Post 338 details how I did it.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Thank you so much! I watch this forum all the time and missed that.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Just want to say thanks one more time. This morning I cut some boards and did a dry run following your instructions. The slide tilted up leaving plenty of room to work under the rollers. What looked like a difficult job turned out to be so simple.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
Just want to say thanks one more time. This morning I cut some boards and did a dry run following your instructions. The slide tilted up leaving plenty of room to work under the rollers. What looked like a difficult job turned out to be so simple.
glad to hear that worked for ya.
About how many inches of clearance above the subfloor to the bottom of the cabinet inside edge do you think you gained? Slides in or out?
Old 10-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #6

Quote:
glad to hear that worked for ya.
About how many inches of clearance above the subfloor to the bottom of the cabinet inside edge do you think you gained? Slides in or out?
Dav, I think the slides on my Phaeton operate a little differently than your Newmar. To roll them in and out I need to keep my finger on the toggle switch the entire time to keep it moving. There is no automatic feature that takes over to roll the side all the way in. That gives complete control and made it very easy for me to slowly inch in the slide after the top was blocked so it couldn't retract.
I didn't measure the clearance but with the slide all the way out and blocked at the top it angled up enough to get my hand completely under the rollers when I retracted it. I believe it could have been raised even more but like I said, this was just a dry run. I was alone and didn't have anyone outside to observe if the flange on the slide was bending or any damage was being done. I did go out and look with the rollers off the subfloor and everything looked okay.

Tags
floor, flooring, slide