Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Sun Pass

Will be traveling thru Florida this winter. Lower FL to the keys - turnpike is all SunPass tolls. Do I need a transponder for the coach and the toad? They want $25 for each fixed transponder or $4.99 for a sticker. Either way refills $$$ automatically via credit card. I don't wont to keep funding the pass after I leave the state. I see you can also just run the toll stations and they will bill you based on your license plate. Plus an admin fee. How many people have transponders, and which one, and how many just run the stations and get a bill? How many have transponders on RV and on toad?
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

Here is the Sun Pass officcial site to do some reading,

https://www.sunpass.com

Shouldn't need 2 passes, they will bill or charge per axle including whatever you are towing.
Site has a toll calculator. You can determine if it is feasable to buy a transponder in advance or pay by tag.

I have one for my truck. I only use it once a year but the convience factor of NOT having to stop and pay cash at each toll location, in the past, made it worth it to me to buy one. They billed me at some locations when I towed a trailer 2 years ago. SOME locations only charged me for the truck, I considered it a discount!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have maintained an active sunpass even though we no longer reside there. I do not have my account set up for automatic replenishing as I only add money as needed. Been doing it that way for nearly 20 years now.

About the tolls: You can only "run" the toll plazas in Miami-Dade County along the Homestead extension of the turnpike. If you have a sunpass account you get a discount. If you don't, they will bill you plus an admin fee. It's called "toll by plate". North of Miami on the mainline, cash and sunpass are accepted except at some exits ramps where only sunpass is accepted. It's good to have a sunpass account and record the license plates on your vehicles. This way, they will directly debit your account if you, by chance don't pay the toll or the transponder is not recorded as you pass through a toll plaza.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the $25 transponder. I transfer mine from the MH to the toad and the Sunpass system is smart enough to figure out whether I am driving MH only, MH + toad or toad only. If you drive toll roads in Florida a lot, the transponder quickly pays for itself compared to "toll by plate" which carries a 25% (I think) admin fee.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We've had the sticker for years but didn't travel with the toad before. With a toad, the transponder is more convenient since you can switch it so I'd be partial to getting that. You could also get a sticker for each but I believe you'll probably get double-charged when towing. I think they are pretty good about correcting those (when you travel with a toad or extra axle, I think it might be flagged and manually added later anyway) but you probably want to check the bill (you can just go online and see all your charges).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
One Sun Pass for Bus and Toad. It just works......

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You only need one transponder on your motorhome. YOU WILL BE BILLED TWICE if you leave one in the tow. At least that is my experience as I went on line and looked at my account. I now take my tow transponder and place it in the microwave oven when towing, this prevents the transponder from being read. The micro works as a faraday shield. You could also rap it in aluminum foil. I don't know what you can do if you have the glue-on type.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #8

The only time I head out that way is with the MH, so I have the window sticker one and not the portable one. I have to need to move it to car only.

However, if you'll be in Florida for the winter and using the turnpike often enough, the portable transponder might be best for you. But, whatever you choose, you only need one.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #9

Is there a difference between SunPass and EPass? Do i need both? or does sunpass work everywhere in FL?
Apoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

Sunpass works on any toll road in fl.No e-pass needed
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Sun Pass works in lanes that advertise it. This is usually in the pavement and via signage. If you are referring to the Skyway Bridge in Tampa, Sun Pass is accepted for the bridge.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in PA and are going to FLA Jan thru March. Will my Ez-Pass work in Fla ?
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I established a sunpass account last week for the MH and toad. I went with the $4.99 option. When you register your account, you place both vehicles on the account.

EZ Pass doesn't work in FL to my knowledge.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Where do you mount the transrecever on you windsield in a motorhome? Down low as in a car or up high?

Tags
florida