Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I have traveled through out florida and in fact I-75 across Alagator Ally is camera view as is down the keys where it is toll.
Sorry there is NO Tolls in the Key's.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #30

They took the toll both at lower matecumbe out in the 50's
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
If you get double billed, can you just call / email them to get the 2nd charges reversed? I really don't mind paying it twice as long as it's refunded (I'd much rather do that then have to move the transponder from one vehicle to the other).

Alternatively, is there any way to block the minis from sending the signal? Since they're stuck to the glass, I can't see any way of covering it.

-- Update

For anyone else curious, I called SunPass and they will reverse the double charges as long as you call them within 90 days.

So I'm just going to get 2 minis and then twice every winter, I'll go through the charges online and call them to have them remove the double charges.
I can only say "suit yourself," but I can't understand why you would want to challenge the system and intentionally allow yourself to be double billed hoping that a) you will remember to check your bill within 90 days, and b) you don't get a clerk who says "too bad, so sad!"

I already have four E-Pass transponders, one for each car. The E-Pass is issued by the OCEA and works throughout Florida, and I get a discount when in the Orlando area. When I called about a transponder for my coach, the first answer I got was "You must have a transponder for each vehicle. You'll be billed for both vehicles." I really didn't like that answer and asked why, then, do you have a "portable transponder?" "Oh," said the tele-clerk, "so you can move it from one vehicle to another!"

If you do get one transponder, it will be assigned to one vehicle. Mine is assigned to the Toad. The other vehicle - the coach - will be registered as a "virtual vehicle." When I hook up the Toad, one item on my checklist is "Take the E-Pass." When I unhook it, the checklist item is "Get the E-pass."
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post
I can only say "suit yourself," but I can't understand why you would want to challenge the system and intentionally allow yourself to be double billed hoping that a) you will remember to check your bill within 90 days, and b) you don't get a clerk who says "too bad, so sad!"

I already have four E-Pass transponders, one for each car. The E-Pass is issued by the OCEA and works throughout Florida, and I get a discount when in the Orlando area. When I called about a transponder for my coach, the first answer I got was "You must have a transponder for each vehicle. You'll be billed for both vehicles." I really didn't like that answer and asked why, then, do you have a "portable transponder?" "Oh," said the tele-clerk, "so you can move it from one vehicle to another!"

If you do get one transponder, it will be assigned to one vehicle. Mine is assigned to the Toad. The other vehicle - the coach - will be registered as a "virtual vehicle." When I hook up the Toad, one item on my checklist is "Take the E-Pass." When I unhook it, the checklist item is "Get the E-pass."
X2: If you know you're likely to be double billed then why not prevent it? The last time I had an issue with my transponder it took a twenty minute phone hold/conversation to square away.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EZpass double billed us at the motor home rate for not having the transponder in the toad. Both going through New York and also through Deleware. We called to dispute the charges and they told us we were pulling a vehicle and that vehicle must be charged, it doesn't matter if your pulling it or driving it. Didn't like that explanation, called back again talked to someone else and was told the same thing.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
EZpass double billed us at the motor home rate for not having the transponder in the toad. Both going through New York and also through Deleware. We called to dispute the charges and they told us we were pulling a vehicle and that vehicle must be charged, it doesn't matter if your pulling it or driving it. Didn't like that explanation, called back again talked to someone else and was told the same thing.
So you got billed for 4 axle's? What is a "motor home rate". We get billed per axle. With an E-Pass just on my motorhome I get billed for 5 axle's (have tag ax) but with a transponder in both vehicles I get billed for the five plus two or seven total. So in Florida at least it pays to remove the towed transponder. To be clear I get charged under the MH transponder for both vehicles and the car under that transponder as well if both are left in the vehicles.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I plan to pick one up when I get to Florida. What amount would you suggest for starting out? I'll use automatic replenishing, do I need to start with more than the minimum?

Because I live with a capuchin monkey who has free run of the MH, the sticker isn't practical -- she would just peel it off. If I just have a sticker in the toad, would it pay the toll for both when I'm towing? I hate to pay the $25 fee if I only use it one winter. Can you resell the portable transponder and have it registered to someone else? What about a refund of over paid pre-loaded fees? When I left Oklahoma I turned in my FREE PikePass and got a refund.

I checked the website wwabout placement in a Class C MH, but there was no info. Will the cabover block the signal?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
For the last 13 years I have left from south of Miami to northern states up & back once a year in my MH pulling a toad.

My MH has never been on a toll road in FL. all that time. I either go up US 27 or over to the west coast I75 via US 41.
Quote:
I checked the website about placement in a Class C MH, but there was no info. Will the cabover block the signal?
If the cabover does block the signal. If you have a transponder they will take a picture and then charge your account the transponder amount. If you have enough money in the account or a CC that adds money to the account automatically.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I plan to pick one up when I get to Florida. What amount would you suggest for starting out? I'll use automatic replenishing, do I need to start with more than the minimum?

Because I live with a capuchin monkey who has free run of the MH, the sticker isn't practical -- she would just peel it off. If I just have a sticker in the toad, would it pay the toll for both when I'm towing? I hate to pay the $25 fee if I only use it one winter. Can you resell the portable transponder and have it registered to someone else? What about a refund of over paid pre-loaded fees? When I left Oklahoma I turned in my FREE PikePass and got a refund.

I checked the website wwabout placement in a Class C MH, but there was no info. Will the cabover block the signal?
For the automatic replenishing, I think mine's set at $10 and that's all we've ever needed but I haven't had a toad before.

As far as the monkey pulling it off, I'm not sure it's that easier - I've never tried but I suspect you need a scraper to remove it.

As far as having the transponder only in the toad, perhaps someone has tried it and can chime in but I don't think it's an option as: a) you might sometimes have to go through tolls with a gate and I don't think it will pick up the toad until the motor home has crashed into it! (i.e. if 2 cars are following each other (and that's a lot shorter than your mh), the gate doesn't lift from the transponder on the second car until the first car is out of the way) and b) when going through the 'high speed' lanes, it's possible the mh will block reader from picking up the transponder on the toad.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
X2: If you know you're likely to be double billed then why not prevent it? The last time I had an issue with my transponder it took a twenty minute phone hold/conversation to square away.
You're probably right that I'm just making more work for myself with the double charges and once I try it maybe I'll agree with you but I think it's worth it for me. Hoping to remember to check the charges is a non-issue, I already have several other things like this that I have to do every so often. I just set myself a reminder on my calendar and 60 days from now, I'll get a notice to check the balance. The phone conversation to actually get the charges cancelled might be a pain but I'm hoping that I can just do it all by email (realistically that's probably not going to happen and I'll have to phone).

There are some benefits from having 2 transponders though; I'm much more likely to forget switching it from toad to mh and vice-versa than I am to forget to check for double charges (even if I forget to switch them even once, it's worth paying a few double charges to prevent that). As silly as it sounds, that's a major issue for me because I probably wouldn't realize that I don't have the pass until I'm pretty much just under the sensor and even when I do notice it and have to go through one of the pay lanes, I usually don't have my wallet on me (in the mh, it's usually in one of the cabinets so I have to pull over to get it if I'm alone and in the car, it's often in the trunk) - having to go through pay tolls is a major inconvenience for me. Also my wife and I sometimes do each take a vehicle separately (e.g. moving to another campground, I'll drive the motor home and she'll drive the car to pick up groceries or bring the kids somewhere, etc) so we do like the idea of having a pass on each.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #39

I thought the EZ pass up north for a M/H is charged according to weight classification and axle........the car is charged accordingly.
We have EZ pass and we have on record both m/h and toad, so if we drive the toad we take the transponder from the m/h to car.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoccia View Post
Is there a difference between SunPass and EPass? Do i need both? or does sunpass work everywhere in FL?
SunPass is issued by Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, E-Pass (not to be confused with the Northeast's EZPass) is issued by the OOCEA (Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority). Either works everywhere throughout Florida. E-Pass gives you a discount in the Orlando area.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks! It sounds like just registering the MH will work even if the sticker has left the windshield. I'll look into it when I get into FL.

I don't mind paying $10 for the priviledge of zooming 2 vehicles thru toll booths, it will probably save that much in gas just not having to stop and start again. But $25 is more than I want to contribute to the state of FL for the priviledge of spending so much money there.

If the $25 Sunpass cannot be switched from one car to another, why does anyone buy one?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a sunpass for our unit. It bills just for the MH or if towing, adds the axles of the TOAD. You only need one. Rumor has it that Sunpass will be usable outside of Florida on the east coast all the way to Maine. Hopefully they get it done. Only Dade County, Fl bills by plate. You should buy the SunPass.. good luck
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida