Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

Flying J genset oil change

I'm heading off to a series of dog shows on the west coast. I will be running the genset much of the time for a 3-week period (no power at the show sites).

My Onan 7500 diesel calls for oil changes at 150 hr intervals. Has anyone used Flying J or Cummins or another vendor along I-5 for genset oil changes?

Any advice (other than change it myself, which I can't do on this trip)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Not sure, but I don't think Flying Js have service departments to do oil changes.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Flying J has some locations designated as a "J-Service" location that do have service areas. Speedco has similar type locations. The easiest way to find those locations are on the main websites. (www.flyingj.com, etc). Any Cummins service location would be able to do a genny oil change.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I'd go with a Cummins Service center, even if more costly. Chances are better for more attentive service vs. the "move 'em in--move 'em out" high traffic places.

Just my opinion based on past experiences

Dick
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
JRC

Cummins West in Sacramento on Riverside is a great place and reasonable the nicest employees i have ever dealt with, second best is Cummins in Tulsa ,OK

If your going to be in those areas.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #6

Cummins owns Onan (since 1986) so any Cummins shop will do it, so will many RV service centers. It's easier than the oil in your car so just make sure the shop doesn't overcharge.

SPEEDCO.COM type stores will do it (and your big motor too) and they will probably be the cheapest of all and have several west coast locations.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'll second the recommendation for cummins west in Sacramento AND the one in San Leandro, BUT beware that they can have a long wait and don't make advance appointments. (San Leandro spent 8 HOURS getting the Onan generator out of my 2002 Endeavour to replace a bad temperature sending unit - all under warranty - long story, BAD design on Holiday Rambler's part.)
Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #8

Unfortunately, most of my learning is from the school of hard knocks. I think I even have a master's degree. Now without exception, nobody gets to stick thier head under my hood except Cummins. If you go to their website at www.cummins.com You can get to 2 important links. First, is the Power Masters club, for $19.95 per year you get 10% off on all Cummins /Onan nparts and labor at a mCummins facility. Secondly, they have an operation called "Coach Care" that is available at 40-45 Cummins operations across the U.S. At a CC operation they have dedicated bays and dedicated techs. exclusively for RVers. Most also have separate waiting rooms for RVers and most of them have 30-50 elec. hook-ups for overnight stays. I have had them sercvice roof A/C, electrical, etc. and they are great. I have used CC in Harrisburg, PA; Cleveland, OH; El Paso, TX; Phoenix, AZ; and the only difference between any of them was the accents of the employees. My wife particularly like the cleaniness of the CC operations where you don't feel as though your coach is going to be subject to an internal redecorating in grease tone. My 2 cents and then some, Ken.....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We've used Cummins Coach Care and been very happy... Good luck at the dog show.
Paints is offline   Reply With Quote