Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #15

Gotta know the area....never have got bad fuel in 62 years...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #16

Geez - OP asked if the Flying J RV discount card was still available and pretty much all he gets is Flying J price bashing. Don't understand why it is so hard to just answer the question that was asked.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #17

My GS Lifetime membership still gives me 5 cents per gallon on gasoline.

As far as pricing? If they're not competitive, I don't stop there. In most of my wanderings through Texas and Oklahoma though, they are usually right at their competitors cost. The Flying J's with the RV lanes are really nice. Dump is $5, water free, LP available right in the lanes. Sometimes convenience costs more, and sometimes it doesn't.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Always Remember the Fuel across the street is cheaper BUT not Fresh Fuel !- I always stop at Flying J- Pilot because they use a lot of fuel- therefore it's fresher than across the street or discounts stations.
Not sure I'd agree... yes they sell more but I'll bet their tanks are larger and or more tanks. Lower vol ones less capacity so age of fuel not significantly different.

Besides I've not seem any data to support diesel degradeing w age... as in days or even weeks.
For those that store a MH off season fo you toss "old" fuel because it's no good anymore?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
Apparently Flying J / pilot do not have a RV discount card any longer. I was told by an associate that they now accept Good Sam from rvers. Can anyone tell me the diesel fuel discount offered with a Good Sam card at Flying J / pilot?
Right, it happened about 4 years ago. I presented my PFJ card at the fuel desk and was told it was being eliminated because their affiliation with GS offered larger discounts.
I normally always re-fuel at PFJ because of the convenience and ease of access/egress + fuel quality.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Not sure I'd agree... yes they sell more but I'll bet their tanks are larger and or more tanks. Lower vol ones less capacity so age of fuel not significantly different.

Besides I've not seem any data to support diesel degradeing w age... as in days or even weeks.
For those that store a MH off season fo you toss "old" fuel because it's no good anymore?
For diesel:
Fuel has a shelf life. The degradation of fuel has consequences that can include power loss, increased consumption, plugging, and increased maintenance costs.
For gasoline: http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/fi...ull-Report.pdf
A copious amount of websites on fuel degradation: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fuel+quali...&t=ffnt&ia=web
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
5 and 8 off their inflated prices.

Geoff

Only the diesel is inflated. The gas is cheaper or as cheap as any nearby station. Take the nickel off that price and pay for it with your Sams Club Mastercard for another 5% off.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Only the diesel is inflated. The gas is cheaper or as cheap as any nearby station. Take the nickel off that price and pay for it with your Sams Club Mastercard for another 5% off.
I take the 8 cents off and use my Sam's Club card for the extra 5%. I need a station with a satellite pump because I have fuel tanks on each side that are not connected by a crossover tube.

I have always wished for an app that would tell me which stations have satellite pumps so I could avoid Pilot/FJ.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #23

I just got the plus card this week. I find on the east coast flyingj/pilot are usually competitive with interstate prices.
Neilthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #24

harleyjt

Pilot also bought Speedco so they will be less and less competitive going forward.

Geoff
Old 03-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #25

Went to Fla and back, Good Sam card saved $.05 a gal on gas at Pilot/Flying J. Just don't use private dealer P/FJ stations.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
harleyjt

Pilot also bought Speedco so they will be less and less competitive going forward.

Geoff

No, it was actually Love’s that bought Speedco.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
For diesel:
[URL="http://www.mycleandiesel.com/pages/FuelDegradation.aspx"]Fuel has a shelf life. The degradation of fuel has consequences that can include power loss, increased consumption, ]
Ray...
Thanks for the links. I've read some of these/ similar reports and fully understand long term effects are possible.
My reaction is that how many stations only get deliveries 2-4X/yr and store their fuel that long?
I'm a boater and pretty careful where I fuel as yards in the NE shut down in the off season and fuel sits roughly 6 mos but cant think of a road based station that would come close.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I think the GS card only gets you 3 cents on gas unless something has changed. Not sure about diesel. The RV Plus card gets you 5 and 8 off.
jt
The GS card has changed to 5 cents off and of course you get whatever your payment card gives you in addition to that.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote