Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Flying J Truck Lanes

Stopped at the Flyin J in Omaha, NE for coffee this am and heard a very bitter discussion at the cashier over RV's using the truck lanes. Seems the new policy at the J is you must have a truck fueler card to get fuel at the truck lanes. All others must use the RV lane. For me, at 41' plus Toad that is not a viable option. Asked if that was at all Flyin J's but the cashier was not interested in debating it. Anyone else run into this, or heard this new policy?
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Wonder if the discussion was over getting a cash discount at the truck lanes. From the Flying J website FAQ:

How will the RV Real Value Club fuel discounts change?
As of September 1, 2010, you will have new instant fuel discounts, that have been made easier for you:

· 3 cents off per gallon of diesel (initially, only available in RV lanes)
· 2 cents off per gallon of gasoline (available only at travel centers with RV lanes) and,
· 10 cents off per gallon of propane

7. Can I still use my RV card to receive cash price diesel at truck diesel lanes? Not at this time. Starting September 1, 2010 you will no longer be able to get cash price diesel at the truck diesel lanes. This will be temporary as we are working to incorporate this program benefit in the next several months. We will let you know when it is available again.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
They would not allow the RV to fuel in the truck lanes. Cashier said "company policy is no commercial fueler card, NO fuel at the truck islands". In 6 years of towing a toad behind a class A I have only had to disconnect twice. You guessed it, at a Flyin J RV lane. If this is in fact the new policy, my stops at the J are over!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That's a new one, and I really don't think it's corporate policy. I fueled at two different Flying-Js last week, used the truck lanes, and none one said a thing. No discount for my RV Real Value card, though. Until they fix that, I'm not going out of my way to use them anymore.

joe
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

As long as I'm driving our HDT Volvo, I'll be fueling at the truck lanes.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

Just talked to PilotFlyingJ on the phone and they say the lady was confused and that was NOT the company policy. Here is the reason for the confusions. Pilot has bought out Flying J. Got a letter from Pilot last month saying that there is going to be confusion. A lot of Flying J's with the new Pilot pumps cannot yet give you a discount on fuel with your RV card but it is coming back a little later. With these new pumps they also stopped giving cash price for a VISA charge fill up but that is coming back later according to Pilot.

They told me today over the phone that they will be back giving cash prices for VISA charges and RV fuel discount in truck lanes maybe after the first of the year.

I am 45' long with a toad and I don't go into the RV lanes because sometimes there is not enough room to turn when I come out and lots of cars zooming around. I have never been turned down in a truck lane. I just tell them it is a private RV and never had a problem.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've fueled at a J truck island a couple times since the Pilot takeover. Had to go inside because my card would no longer activate the pump, and I had to pay the credit card price, but they were happy to sell me fuel. Pilot says that by 1/1/2011, a new FJ RV Rewards card will turn on the truck island pump once again and you will also get the cash price with a credit card. Maybe even a few pennies off the price too.

You have to get a new FJ Rewards card too - just ask the fuel counter clerk for one. The old ones are being phased out and can't be used in many (most?) FJ locations anymore.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The FJ Letter states that the RV 3cent discount is available at the RV lanes only and not the truck lanes. THATS IT !
FJ does not always have good prices and Pilot is even worse. Let the buyer beware.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #9

A week ago I filled up at the Flying J near Thousand Palms. It worked as it always has. Then a week later I tried to fill up in AZ and my card would not work at the truck pump. I went inside and found out the information that has been posted above. Found out some stations have not converted (like the one in CA) and some have (like AZ.) I ended up using the RV pump to get the cash discount using CC and the Arizona car diesel price. Unfortunately the pump is very slow and there is a limit of $75 on Visa. I restarted the Visa and got another $75 of fuel, but the third time a started the pump the CC company put a stop on my Visa. Back into the store and waited in line again and had to use another card. Finished filling up and went in and waited in line again to get my receipt. I then visited with the store manager and he talked about the programming that needs to be done to make the RV card work at the truck pump and cash discount using Visa. He was very sympathetic and apologetic. She said Pilot was caught off guard with all the RV's filling up in the truck area.

I was glad they are working on solving the problems, but probably won't frequent Flying J for a while. The savings isn't there anymore and it is too much hassle filling up there until they fix their system.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
paz

I have a gas motorhome, so filling up at the truck lanes isn't an issue for me. My problem is not being able to use my credit card at the RV lanes. They won't turn on the pumps until you go inside with the card, then they want to know how much fuel I want. If I guess too high, I have to go back inside a second time and wait while they credit the difference. If I guess too low, the pump shuts off before my tank is filled.

Some Flying J RV lanes have truck-style pumps, and other RV lanes have standard auto-style pumps each with their own credit card slot. I can see if they haven't gotten the credit card system set up yet for the truck-style pumps, but if you can use your credit card in the auto lanes, why can't you use your credit card at the RV lanes with the same type of auto pumps?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #11

Pilot stated that they are slowly replacing all the pumps in the truck and RV lanes. It is just going to talk a little time. Some of those pumps in the RV lanes you cannot read in the daytime. Some take cards and some don't. The one that gets me is when they run super slow and you are there for an hour putting in 100+ gallons.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi paz,
I use my CC at the RV lanes. It has always turned on the pump and provided me a receipt.

Pilot/Flying J needs to get with the fact RVers are not thieves. The current process for fueling at the truck lanes is based on Pilot wanting to get paid. It is obvious too many truck drivers will steal fuel any chance they get. At the RV lanes the $75 cut off is a Pilot decision not the CC company. After two purchases within a 24 hour period, the CC company will stop further transactions independent of using the clerk. This is another scheme to ensure their risk is minimized. The only way to avoid the $75 cut off is to go into the store and provide the clerk payment information. They will turn on the pump and you can pump all the fuel you want. Why Pilot feels this is somehow more secure, is beyond me. I supply no ID to get the pump turned on.

What is needed is a consistent fueling process at both the truck and RV lanes for RVers with the RV Real Value Card. The process should include:
1. pump turn on with a CC and the RV Real Value Card
2. pump all the fuel needed to fill the tank
3. discounts are the same
4. provide a receipt at the pump

As to Pilot reprogramming the truck pumps to allow some of the above mentioned items, I will not hold my breath. I'll wait and see. The exit where a Pilot/Flying J is located has other fueling opportunities. Most already provide the above mentioned convenience for RV customers.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased gas for my Toyota FJ Cruiser at the Pilot in Kannapolis NC I-85 exit 60 last month. Just for kicks I tried my RV card in the auto gas lane also using a credit card, I was surprised when I did get the .02 discount. I live near there, but it is out of my way most of the time. I have not been back since.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi paz,
The only way to avoid the $75 cut off is to go into the store and provide the clerk payment information. They will turn on the pump and you can pump all the fuel you want. Why Pilot feels this is somehow more secure, is beyond me. I supply no ID to get the pump turned on.
I've wondered about why there is a $75 cut off for a while. There are several different things that I can think of. One is they get a signature to the charge slip and another is they now have you, or someone, on video signing for the fuel. The final thing is they get a pre-approval for the $75 purchase. As you said, both are to lessen risks of credit card fraud. A lot of thieves prefer to swipe a credit card and disappear than to come inside face to face.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote