Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
FMCA just raised the Membership fee by 50% to $75 per year as of 29 August, I will not be renewing
Find a medical assist policy for less than that a year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #58

I can't find out what medical assist is, and anything Verizon and sprint is worthless to me, the tire program is a joke tires can be bought cheaper other places. and the dues were $50 for the last two years and I was getting ready to renew but not now. the only reason I joined in the first place was the road service which I haven't needed.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:06 AM   #59

Quote:
I can't find out what medical assist is, and anything Verizon and sprint is worthless to me, the tire program is a joke tires can be bought cheaper other places. and the dues were $50 for the last two years and I was getting ready to renew but not now. the only reason I joined in the first place was the road service which I haven't needed.

When you shop around for other roadside service policies you may find FMCA is still a good deal.

The medical assist program info is fairly easy to find on their website, and if you’re not able to access the website all it would take is a phone call to ask about it.

FMCA provided a very good explanation about why they are having to increase the membership fees, and what they are doing to address their financial challenges. I’ll gladly renew my membership because I feel it’s a good organization doing good things, and if the yearly cost of membership is a financial hardship then the RV lifestyle is probably something you can’t afford and shouldn’t be in in the first place.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #60

Quote:

FMCAssist is repatriation insurance. In a medical emergency, call 911 then call FMCAssist. If you need to be transported from the emergency facility, your transportation to the second or to home is covered. This coverage is world wide. If your RV is in Canada, Mexico or USA and needs to be returned home, it is covered to a limit of $5,000. If you die, FMCAssist will cremate or embalm and return remains to location of your choice. All of these require that you are at least 100 miles from home. There is more but these are the three main coverages.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We were at the FMCA Rally in Minot, ND earlier this month where the vote was taken to increase the annual dues. It came down to a case of either increasing the dues or dropping the FMCA Assist program. This single program is worth the entire cost of the membership IMO.

We’ve been members of FMCA since 2008 and feel the benefits far outweigh the costs. New rate is $85 for the first year and $75 thereafter.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
When you shop around for other roadside service policies you may find FMCA is still a good deal.

The medical assist program info is fairly easy to find on their website, and if you’re not able to access the website all it would take is a phone call to ask about it.

FMCA provided a very good explanation about why they are having to increase the membership fees, and what they are doing to address their financial challenges. I’ll gladly renew my membership because I feel it’s a good organization doing good things, and if the yearly cost of membership is a financial hardship then the RV lifestyle is probably something you can’t afford and shouldn’t be in in the first place.
Sunny1, I have been "camping" for over 60 years, the last 30 have been in motorhomes. While I still think that FMCA is a good organization I also think that it has lost the initial reason that it was formed. I don't think it was to get all of these extras.
While you may think it is a "financial hardship" for me to renew my membership, it is not. Furthermore, you're elitist attitude is one of the reasons that the membership has fallen, not the cost.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #63
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Do I like the $25 increase? NO! Do I think it's still a good deal? YES! The medical assist program is worth far more than that to me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
While you may think it is a "financial hardship" for me to renew my membership, it is not. Furthermore, you're elitist attitude is one of the reasons that the membership has fallen, not the cost.

Good Luck,

Indiana Journey

I apologize for the way I worded that ‘financial Hardship’ comment. I can see where you might take offense. I went back later to change it because I felt it was not appropriate, but it was too late to edit.

The increase is $.07 a day, which does not seem unreasonable considering the membership benefits. I primarily joined to take advantage of the roadside assistance, which I have not used either, but considering I own a gasser motorhome that is 21 years old I’d imagine the day will come that I do, and the dues I’ve paid will make it a less painful event.

I’m sure there will be those who decide not to renew, but my guess is that most members like the benefits that come along with membership and will continue to support FMCA even with the increased fee because FMCA has been very transparent as to why they did it, and it makes sense that it needed to be done.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #65

Apology accepted. Each of us have our reasons for renewing or not. Do you remember the pinch-hit driver? It disappeared last year. It only cost the ones that needed it. My feelings on the emergency transport addition is that it should be an added charge to those that want it, similar to the emergency road service.

Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
I will continue to be a member as long as the assist program is part of the membership. Had a friend that needed to use it last year and they took.quite a load off of her at a very trying time. They handled anything she needed and much more than she could have dreamed. I do think that FMCA should, and will be probably be forced to implement a deductible when the assist support is needed. I feel that the program provides a fantastic service at a desperate time for a bargain basement price.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #67

This one is 179.00 but is a bit more comprehensive.

https://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com/
Old 09-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
This one is 179.00 but is a bit more comprehensive.

https://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com/

I don’t see anything in that plan that FMCAssist doesn’t do, but maybe I missed something.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #69

Am I the only one left who joined FMCA in order to belong to a group of people with similar interests?

The origins of FMCA were all about the social aspects and for people who shared common interests and adventures. The discount programs came later as an added benefit for members.

Threads like this make it sound like many more people see FMCA as nothing more than a discount program. Guess if someone joins based on just a dollars & cents calculation I understand the frustration around the increase. But for us, the increase doesn't really detract from why we joined.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #70
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Am I the only one left who joined FMCA in order to belong to a group of people with similar interests?

The origins of FMCA were all about the social aspects and for people who shared common interests and adventures. The discount programs came later as an added benefit for members.
Absolutely agreed.

Ray