Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
FMCA

I am asking what y'all think of the FMCA. Is is worth joining? Are the benefits a good value. We are already members of Good Sam but I am not committed to them. Thank you for any feedback.
Turnerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many factors.. Just now I belong because I'm about to put new shoes on this RV and well... BIG DISCOUNT.

THey offer some benefits, Mostly you get a magazine, and you get invites to pay to attend rallys and such. The Rallys you can do things like take the AEON Safe Driving Course... Meet Mac THe Fire Guy and so on. the first saves you money on your RV insurance, the 2nd possibly your life.

ANd of course it qualifies as a Fraternal Organization (Lots of friends).

But it is not for everyone,, Even if they just voted to open it to ALL Rvers, towed or self powered.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

It doesn't cost much to join, so give it a try. We have belonged for 15 years and have attended three rally's. The first one was interesting and informative, but the last one was boring and we left early. If you like crowds and parking in your neighbor's lap you'll love it. The magazine has been interesting at times and is one of the main reasons we still belong. The other reason is to be able to join the 4-wheelers club. I don't use any of the other benefits, so our continued membership is in question. Some people enjoy the rallies and go from one to another. We are happier in a small group of like minded people camped in the desert. To each his own.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #4

We're considering FMCA too, along with just about all the other membership/discount offerings. If you'll use the discounts, it's probably worth it. If not, then your wasting your money.

But some/most of these clubs are pretty cheap. We plan to keep an eye out for opportunities to use the discounts offered by each club (Good Sam, Passport America, FMCA, etc.) and purchase a membership when/if we need it. Most of them can pay for themselves with just a few stays at an RV park or purchases where they offer discounts. If after a year, we don't use a particular club very often, we probably won't renew.

In any case, no sense buying a membership until you need it. At least that way you know you'll use it once and you can usually buy the same day or a day before you need it.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

I saved enough on buying tires through them that will pay my membership for years.
gbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents got a years free membership when they took delivery of their Foretravel. They enjoyed the rallies but when they quit RV'ing we joined and use their number with an "s" for son.
I'm also a charter lifetime member of GS so have used the benefits of each. However, if I had to pay a yearly fee for GS I wouldn't bother anymore especially with the request not to use their services.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check out their website, some of their free benefits are worth more than the annual cost.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We’ve been in FMCA for several years. We belong to a local chapter where we share food and lies with the other folks. Ninety plus rigs, nine rally’s a year, we go if we’re in Texas. It’s fun, but not for everybody.

The major discounts are tires, road service, emergency transport, and WiFi hot spot service. But they also hawk everything from RV insurance to T-shirts.

The magazine is ok, but the RV reviews, like most RV reviews, read like they were written by the manufacturer. There is a lot more good info about RV’s on these forums than in most magazines. Still, they have some good articles and ads.
Some of the technical overview articles are very good.

There are two National rally’s a year. And each of the regions (I think there are six) have at least one regional rally. All of the chapters, of which there are dozens, also hold chapter rally’s. You don’t have to join a chapter to belong to FMCA, but you do need to be an FMCA member to belong to and FMCA chapter.

You can join more than one chapter if you wish. Since some chapters are affinity oriented around a particular RV brand or interest, lots of folks do join more than one.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #9

I get more out of FMCA than I do out of Good Sam. Only benefit that I use from GS is the Pilot discount card and discount at campgrounds. With FMCA, I take advantage of tire discounts, Medical Assist, and I'm involved with a local chapter for small rallies. Personally, I think it's worth it.

Not sure where it's headed with the recent vote to move from motorized coaches only to all RVs. I'm sure there will be growing pains, but all should work out in the end.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

At first blush, I was mildly opposed to this. However, after more noodling, I think that a consumer group will have more clout if it has more members. I have camped next to very fine folks in 5ers and TTs. Y'all come.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have a towed for your coach, the annual review of towable vehicles is worthwhile.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

The most important benefit from FMCA for me and my wife is the insurance that will get you and/or your spouse home if either one has a medical emergency that requires it or if you pass away. It gives me great peace to know that if something happened to me- my wife, our pets and our motorhome would be taken home. The cost of purchasing that benefit separately is far greater than the cost of FMCA membership that includes it. FMCA is in the process of opening up membership to all types of rv's. I am a member of all the other clubs but if I had to choose only one it would be FMCA.

Jim Durley
2004 Alpine Coach 40 MDTS
Jim Durley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
The major discounts are tires, road service, emergency transport, and WiFi hot spot service. But they also hawk everything from RV insurance to T-shirts.
Just like GS and Escapees and GS is far worse and much like AARP with their incessant mailings.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
I get more out of FMCA than I do out of Good Sam. Only benefit that I use from GS is the Pilot discount card and discount at campgrounds. With FMCA, I take advantage of tire discounts, Medical Assist, and I'm involved with a local chapter for small rallies. Personally, I think it's worth it.

Not sure where it's headed with the recent vote to move from motorized coaches only to all RVs. I'm sure there will be growing pains, but all should work out in the end.
And sometimes you meet some really nice people at the rallies, even some with your weird sense of humor!! Hi Carl!!