Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
FMCA By Law Change: attention FMCA members

FMCA is proposing a change in the By Laws that would replace "motor coach" with "recreational vehicle". If you are a member of FMCA and received the September 2017 issue of "Family Motor Coaching" magazine, you will find the proposed changes on pages 47-50. The ballot is on the bottom of page 46. You can also go online and read the article if you are a member. I have my own feelings on this and have voted. If you are interested take the time and vote.
Thank You
John
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure it will matter as the FMCA is, like most organizations now, losing members. But I don't care if towables are added, we're all here for the fun of camping anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think they need to do what they can to increase their base to keep them afloat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
They're hemorrhaging members & the vast majority of the ones existing are getting up there in age (me included ). Allowing towables might bring in younger members with fresh ideas. I'm all for it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

I've been a USAA member for 53 years. USAA was strictly for the benefit of military officers. Then they opened it up to non-commissioned officers, then any military plus their families. IMO, their rates are no longer competitive, their claims service is niggardly(look that up in your dictionary), and their service is terrible. The same thing will happen to FMCA. If RV sales are up 50 percent, why isn't membership up as well? I'm not particularly interested in pop-up trailers and tents. This is happening in all groups like this, including hobbies, sports, etc. The younger generation just doesn't give a [moderator edit]
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #6

The homework was not done before the executive board started shoving the "recreation vehicle" issue down our throat. There was not one survey done to the towable group to determine if anyone would be interested in joining FMCA. The info put out was (and is) of the Chicken Little variety, meaning if we don't let towables in, FMCA will fold. This is simply not true. This year, membership is on the up swing from the past. I repeat, FMCA is not going broke.

John, I wanted to send you a PM but you must have me blocked,eh??
Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

I see no problem with expanding the association for pull behinds and pop ups. I am a member of a Good Sams Club and we have members with all types rv s. On another note, I always heard that FMCA discriminates against older coaches. I hope this isn't true because I am very proud of my 2004.
mmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've not heard that. I've seen some pretty old coaches at FMCA rallies...including the group of 70's GMC coaches that always seem to arrive & park together.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

Thanks Lori...looking forward to many happy miles with FMCA!
Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #10

Just been a member a couple of months and it seems like a great organization.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm out . ... need a new Club one for Vintage Motor Coaches ! I mean I like vintage Motor Coaches more info on em and more pictures .. GG
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #12

I've already mailed my NO vote. It's a Motorhome club, not a recreational vehicle club. There are plenty of clubs that encompass all types of RVs, and if FMCA changes to that direction, they will likely lose more members than they gain.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
I've already mailed my NO vote. It's a Motorhome club, not a recreational vehicle club. There are plenty of clubs that encompass all types of RVs, and if FMCA changes to that direction, they will likely lose more members than they gain.
I joined Good Sam because it included every type RV, I joined SMART because it is all former/active military, I joined PassPort America for the 50% discounts, I joined irv2.com because the combined experience and knowledge can't be found elsewhere, I joined FMCA because we wanted to experience a club unique to motorhomes.
What's killing FMCA is the included medical travel care benefits, where else can you buy these benefits for $50/yr + membership magazine and other sundry benefits for that money. Standalone medical travel coverage elsewhere is $129/yr minimum.
FMCA tries to makeup lost money through rallies where the total cost is approx. $100 per day.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My $ 0.02 Cents on FMCA....

I'm "darn" proud of my membership number F-17647-S (as in Son). I was at the Minneapolis, MN nation rally several years ago and suggested that the club provide a "decade" membership. No cost savings, but if the club needs sustained membership you give everyone who upgrades an additional plate with a "D" number in lieu of the "F". Maybe even cap it at the first 10,000 members so everyone gets to have a new low number and show how much they care about the club and it's need to promote membership to prospective advertisers.

This suggestion was met with "no further discussion." I'm still thinking about my vote.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote