Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #141

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My sealant arrived today and I finished caulking the window I didn't finish on Thursday. I will let the caulk cure until tomorrow and then reassemble and install the window into the coach on the driver's side. The passenger side sure does look nice, just like new. Tomorrow the driver's side will look just like it. I have only one small sliding window left to do but now I know exactly what and how to do it so it will be a breeze. The hardest part will be taking it out of the coach because of the blinds and valance covering it. Then I will be done done done
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #142

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had severe rain and wind last night so this morning I checked the coach for leaks around the completed windows and found none. Windows really look pretty. I still have only one small window left to do but must wait for clear weather and that may not be until late this week. Will be easy.

Other than my time this is what it cost me for materials to fix the windows:
I had these items on hand from other work at home:
- Rubber gloves
- Razor blades
- Windex streak free wash
- Paper towels

I purchased for this job:
- Dicor Butyl Seal Tape 2 rolls 27.29
- 4 Tubes CRL Super Spacer Sealant 45.24
- CRL Black 3/16 Edgetech Super Spacer 66 ft &
Polyethylene Sealant Guide 77.00
- Door & window Pile 8.29
- 0000 Steel Wool 3.12 TOTAL COST $160.94

The cost would have only been $124.86 but I installed the spacer in the first window I did backwards and had to redo entire window. Cost would then be minus 1 roll of Butyl tape and minus 2 tubes of Super Spacer Sealant $36.26

I did purchase a Ryobi Power Caulk gun and battery $94.89 but I'm not adding that cost into job because I could have done job without it. It just made job easier and I will use gun for many other home projects in the future. I just didn't know I needed long ago. I should have got it years ago.

Anyway sure saved a lot of money (maybe over a $1,000) doing it myself.
I sure do want to thank all who have posted the how to information regarding this window repair because I would not nor could not have done it without you. A GREAT BIG THANK YOU

Now on to installing my dash camera, another story.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #143

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
We had severe rain and wind last night so this morning I checked the coach for leaks around the completed windows and found none. Windows really look pretty. I still have only one small window left to do but must wait for clear weather and that may not be until late this week. Will be easy.

Other than my time this is what it cost me for materials to fix the windows:

I had these items on hand from other work at home:

- Rubber gloves

- Razor blades

- Windex streak free wash

- Paper towels

I purchased for this job:

- Dicor Butyl Seal Tape 2 rolls 27.29

- 4 Tubes CRL Super Spacer Sealant 45.24

- CRL Black 3/16 Edgetech Super Spacer 66 ft &

Polyethylene Sealant Guide 77.00

- Door & window Pile 8.29

- 0000 Steel Wool 3.12 TOTAL COST $160.94

The cost would have only been $124.86 but I installed the spacer in the first window I did backwards and had to redo entire window. Cost would then be minus 1 roll of Butyl tape and minus 2 tubes of Super Spacer Sealant $36.26

I did purchase a Ryobi Power Caulk gun and battery $94.89 but I'm not adding that cost into job because I could have done job without it. It just made job easier and I will use gun for many other home projects in the future. I just didn't know I needed long ago. I should have got it years ago.

Anyway sure saved a lot of money (maybe over a $1,000) doing it myself.

I sure do want to thank all who have posted the how to information regarding this window repair because I would not nor could not have done it without you. A GREAT BIG THANK YOU

Now on to installing my dash camera, another story.

I totally agree. Do NOT wait on those windows because they could end up like mine. Not repairable, only replaceable. Thanks to all as well as it is quite a daunting task if you look at the whole thing. One step at a time.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 07-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #144

I am a pretty handy fella. Let's admit it we have to be to own a coach. My windows were pretty fogged and beyond cleaning. I found RV Glass Repair Services | Quality Side Glass Repairs for Dealers & RV Owners | Greensboro, North Carolina in NC. They were able to create a new unit to go in my existing frame. I must say after trying to separate one and clean, realize it wasn't cleaning up as much as I needed, I will buy new units from them instead of trying to clean the rest of my units. My time is worth enough to justify spending a little more on replacement glass than trying to clean all or the units piece by piece. They even offer a pretty extensive warranty. A warranty is nice since I hear they have a tendancy to fog again after a few years on certain RV's.
hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #145

Update on window repair.

Alrighty,
This saga was left off with me repairing the windows on the passenger side of the coach. This weekend was the drivers side.

The drivers side had some extra challenges. Firstly, the bedroom window has a large fixed pane and 2 "crank out" sections all built into an "escape frame". I had no idea how this would come apart until I could get it out of the bus and examine it.
I also had the window right next to the drivers seat, which was a complex shape with one sliding window and a few fixed panes.
Next were two sliders of equal size, one for dinette and one behind J couch. The windows on the ends of the slide (hidden when slide in) are fogged but I have no intention of repairing them.

I got the four windows out and got to work. And by getting to work I mean breaking $H!T. DAMNIT. The trickiest, by far, part of this work is removing the handles from the window panes that slide. This requires using all kinds of tools and techniques to pry them off. I did ok on the passenger slide, but on the drivers side I broke a pane for the window by the drivers seat and a pane in the slider by the dinette. Sweet jesus. Now what?

I was able to redo the rear bedroom escape window and the other dinette window. The bedroom window was complex, but doable. While I was at it, I repainted the exterior window frames a fresh coat of black. I should have done this originally on the passenger windows when I did them last year.

Anyways, I started to look for replacement glass and realized that, especially for the window by the drivers seat, that I needed tempered glass for safety. I finally decided it would just be better to buy new replacements for those 2 windows. They are on a truck and I hope to have them within a week. Those two panes of glass ended up costing me $1,000. Blech.

At the end of the day I will have redone almost all of the windows on the bus, with two being completely new, for under $1,300. Not a bad deal.

-Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 AM   #146

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Alrighty,
This saga was left off with me repairing the windows on the passenger side of the coach. This weekend was the drivers side.

The drivers side had some extra challenges. Firstly, the bedroom window has a large fixed pane and 2 "crank out" sections all built into an "escape frame". I had no idea how this would come apart until I could get it out of the bus and examine it.
I also had the window right next to the drivers seat, which was a complex shape with one sliding window and a few fixed panes.
Next were two sliders of equal size, one for dinette and one behind J couch. The windows on the ends of the slide (hidden when slide in) are fogged but I have no intention of repairing them.

I got the four windows out and got to work. And by getting to work I mean breaking $H!T. DAMNIT. The trickiest, by far, part of this work is removing the handles from the window panes that slide. This requires using all kinds of tools and techniques to pry them off. I did ok on the passenger slide, but on the drivers side I broke a pane for the window by the drivers seat and a pane in the slider by the dinette. Sweet jesus. Now what?

I was able to redo the rear bedroom escape window and the other dinette window. The bedroom window was complex, but doable. While I was at it, I repainted the exterior window frames a fresh coat of black. I should have done this originally on the passenger windows when I did them last year.

Anyways, I started to look for replacement glass and realized that, especially for the window by the drivers seat, that I needed tempered glass for safety. I finally decided it would just be better to buy new replacements for those 2 windows. They are on a truck and I hope to have them within a week. Those two panes of glass ended up costing me $1,000. Blech.

At the end of the day I will have redone almost all of the windows on the bus, with two being completely new, for under $1,300. Not a bad deal.

-Chris

Chris, I feel your pain. I took my front one apart to repair it but it was etched way too much. I even got my orbital polisher out and worked on it for several hours with polishing compound trying to get it cleaned up. I still ended up having to buy a couple pieces of glass at $500. I like you was totally impressed with just how much they can charge for tempered glass, especially when it is shaded tempered glass! The small one was the most expensive. Fixe them early before they are bad for long.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #147

Got the new windows in yesterday. Amazing. These were entirely new units and were exact.

I now have all of my windows "fixed" except the bathroom (shade always drawn so you could never tell it was fogged) and the ones on the end of the slides that are only visable when slides are deployed.

Makes a great difference.

-Chris
Old 09-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #148

Cool, and thanks for starting this thread. I don't know if I would have tackled this job without your detailed instructions. And the 3 pane drivers window was the most challenging.
tcbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #149

Fleetwood Owners Club
Foggy Windows Fast and Easy

My Motorhome's double pane windows have begun to fog up.

I called the manufacture and got a big surprise.. The glass is not replaceable in this unit. You must order the entire frame assembly with multiple windows. What????

Well, the cost is not cheap. The install replacement is not cheap, shipping is not cheap and no guarantees how long it will last.

So.... Bright Light came on (Thank You God)

It's tempered glass.. Yes, there are two panes Yes,,,,

Why not just Break the inner pane of Tempered Glass?

The window frame manufacture said the insulation has been greatly reduced with the loss of seals. They never heard of anyone just breaking the inner pane.

Before you consider this.. It is very easy to break the inner pane.. Check and make sure it says tempered. Some manufactures tint only one of the two panes and others use a film along with tinting on the inside. The fog is likely on the outside pane, but you'll need to keep it for the seals. Suggest only removing the inner pane.

Make sure you have the tools to complete the job. (Tape, Resqme, Pliars, Silicone II, Gloves)

Use 2" clear packing tape to tape all of the inside pane. <<< Keep it together.....

Use a tool called resqme (pic attached)... Simply press it against the inside pane towards the lower corner and as you lightly press it, the spring loaded plunger will snap and very easily break the pane. It comes out about only a 16th of an inch

Now pull out the broken pane (wear gloves) with the tape holding it together.. You'll still need to do some vacuuming up.

Use needle nose pliers to pull leftover tiny pieces along the inside channel but leave most of it to maintain the channel spacing.

Clean up the fogged glass with cleaners, single edge razor blade, etc.

Use black silicone II around the inner part to seal and build over any remaining sharp edges. Multiple layers may be required.

A black tape over the inner channel Dry Silicone will do nicely

All done...

This may get you along until you can get a more perm solution.

Some told me this is not possible. Others said you cannot break just one pane even though there is a gap between them.

I have the proof and it worked great.
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #150

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems like a drastic method to save money on repair. IMHO if you are happy with your mh I choose to fix it properly rather than to skimp on the proper repairs. If a repair becomes to much to invest in the current mh, then I would sell/trade it in for another model hopefully without problems. A properly repaired vehicle retains more value. Just my humble opinion.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #151

Fleetwood Owners Club
For some, immediate savings of $2-3 thousand for under $20 is a good choice.

Mostly what I see in these foggy window repairs are those who want a DIY method to save. Otherwise, ship the MH to the factory and have them all factory replaced.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #152

Monaco Owners Club
You can break the glass but man is tempered glass expensive. The glass may not be etched yet where it would need to be replaced just cleaned. Replacement would probably add $200-300 per window. Since the glass has to be cut from a template, made from your windows, and then sent out to be tempered you could add a week or two to your downtime.

I tried the DIY even trying to flood the glass with Argon but it failed the next time I took it out.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #153

That, unfortunately, is a "permanent" solution. in my case I could fix almost all of my windows with elbow grease and a few hundred bucks in supplies.

That said, I saw someone else that replaced the inner pane with plexiglass. Honestly tho, not sure why you would bother at that point, no real insulation benefits.

chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always-RVing View Post
My Motorhome's double pane windows have begun to fog up.

I called the manufacture and got a big surprise.. The glass is not replaceable in this unit. You must order the entire frame assembly with multiple windows. What????

Well, the cost is not cheap. The install replacement is not cheap, shipping is not cheap and no guarantees how long it will last.

So.... Bright Light came on (Thank You God)

It's tempered glass.. Yes, there are two panes Yes,,,,

Why not just Break the inner pane of Tempered Glass?

The window frame manufacture said the insulation has been greatly reduced with the loss of seals. They never heard of anyone just breaking the inner pane.

Before you consider this.. It is very easy to break the inner pane.. Check and make sure it says tempered. Some manufactures tint only one of the two panes and others use a film along with tinting on the inside. The fog is likely on the outside pane, but you'll need to keep it for the seals. Suggest only removing the inner pane.

Make sure you have the tools to complete the job. (Tape, Resqme, Pliars, Silicone II, Gloves)

Use 2" clear packing tape to tape all of the inside pane. <<< Keep it together.....

Use a tool called resqme (pic attached)... Simply press it against the inside pane towards the lower corner and as you lightly press it, the spring loaded plunger will snap and very easily break the pane. It comes out about only a 16th of an inch

Now pull out the broken pane (wear gloves) with the tape holding it together.. You'll still need to do some vacuuming up.

Use needle nose pliers to pull leftover tiny pieces along the inside channel but leave most of it to maintain the channel spacing.

Clean up the fogged glass with cleaners, single edge razor blade, etc.

Use black silicone II around the inner part to seal and build over any remaining sharp edges. Multiple layers may be required.

A black tape over the inner channel Dry Silicone will do nicely

All done...

This may get you along until you can get a more perm solution.

Some told me this is not possible. Others said you cannot break just one pane even though there is a gap between them.

I have the proof and it worked great.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #154

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post

I tried the DIY even trying to flood the glass with Argon but it failed the next time I took it out.
Now I'm curious. How many have tried the fix and have had the fix fail? I did all but four of mine myself and none have failed ? For more info on what I did see my previous posts in this thread. I will finish the rest soon.

Tags
repair, window