Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
For those with air brakes do you drain your air tanks?

For those with air brakes, do you drain your air tanks? If so how ofter?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #2

Unless you have an automatic system, they should be drained daily. Probably the number one maintenance item for keeping air brakes working properly.

That said, most newer rigs will have some type of dryer and/or to make this easier.

What does your manual say to do?
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

Just pulling the drain cables once a month, looking for moisture or oil on the ground, will be enough.

Any indication of water or oil would lead to possablesir dryer issues.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #4

I agree with TWINBOAT. Our manual calls for blowing down the air tanks every 3-4 months, works well.
Key point: Keep the Hydrex air dryer in good shape.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wasn't aware of this! Our 2002 Windsor has the Roadmaster chassis. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Unless you have an automatic system, they should be drained daily. Probably the number one maintenance item for keeping air brakes working properly.

That said, most newer rigs will have some type of dryer and/or to make this easier.

What does your manual say to do?
I have not seen air tank draining in the owners manual yet ( I still have more to read ). I jut doing studying for my air brake endorsement renewal test on my drivers licence, and they say daily.Will have to take a look.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #7

The official word is daily, but in reality there is never any moisture in the tanks if your air dryer is working properly. That being said, if you travel regularly, it doesn't hurt to check them on a regular basis. Most rvs have a set of lanyards (wires), that you can pull to release the air valves on the tanks. I know on my freightliner, they are behind the front passenger wheel. The tanks are located between the frame rails, pretty much under the drivers and passengers seats.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
I have not seen air tank draining in the owners manual yet ( I still have more to read ). I jut doing studying for my air brake endorsement renewal test on my drivers licence, and they say daily.Will have to take a look.
If it's not in the manual, check with a dealer or call the company. Some newer systems have automatic drains, but it's still necessary to confirm that the system is working an properly draining the tanks. Some air dryers also automatically blow the moisture out, but again it's necessary to confirm proper function. Should be part of a frequent inspection. While you're checking in the area of the dryer, probably a good idea to read up on how to check the dryer so that you know when it's time to change the media used to dry things out. Air dryers require periodic maintenance.

We have 5 petcocks on our coach that get drained at the end of every day's drive. Takes less than 5 minutes. Usually only a small amount of moisture in two of them, but on particularly humid days it can be quite a bit more.

Allowing water to build in the air tanks and other brake/suspension components can cause lots of problems and can be a safety risk. Anyone driving with air brakes and/or air suspension should be familiar with the requirements of his/her coach.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wasn't aware of this! Our 2002 Windsor has the Roadmaster chassis. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!
Joe, you probably don't need to do it since you have an air dryer in your system. He's the safe way to do it if you want to check it out. Block the chassis before you crawl under it. Bleed down the air in your system until it has ~20 to 30 lbs of pressure in the tanks. Crawl under the coach and look for the valve at the bottom of each tank, turn the valve until you feel/hear air escaping. It shouldn't have any water in it because you have an air dryer in your system, but it doesn't hurt to do it a couple times a year to verify the air dryer is working. You can replace that valve with one that has a spring loaded valve and a lanyard to release the air without crawling under the coach.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #10

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I drain mine every couple to three months when parked, and about every couple of weeks while travelling.
I would never advise anyone on the internet, 'you have an air dryer, so you don't need to'. I have no idea whether you are keeping up with air dryer maintenance!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Joe, you probably don't need to do it since you have an air dryer in your system. He's the safe way to do it if you want to check it out. Block the chassis before you crawl under it. Bleed down the air in your system until it has ~20 to 30 lbs of pressure in the tanks. Crawl under the coach and look for the valve at the bottom of each tank, turn the valve until you feel/hear air escaping. It shouldn't have any water in it because you have an air dryer in your system, but it doesn't hurt to do it a couple times a year to verify the air dryer is working. You can replace that valve with one that has a spring loaded valve and a lanyard to release the air without crawling under the coach.
Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drained my tanks today and got a decent spray of moisture out of the wet tank!
Brand new complete dryer last fall!
Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I have a 2004 Damon Escaper with ISL Cummins 400hp.
I have air brakes but not a clue where the drain would be for the air tanks.
Is there just one tank or one for each tire/brake?
Can I get to them in the wheel well or crawl under neath?
Like I said, until I read it on this forum, had no idea that you needed to bleed the air!
What do they even look like?
All help is appreciated!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air brakes, brake, brakes, tank