Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Ford F53 "car" horn upgrade

When honk the horn on my Coach, it doesn't really send the message "I'm big and I can't stop very fast, get out of the way!" Is there a good swap for the stock horns? I'm not talking air horns necessarily just someone that commands a little more attention.
Stannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
RDG

This is what I used. Easy hook up. No relay needed. I just tapped into the factory horn wires. I just added this to the factory horns. Has a nice sound with both horns. Check out ebay for a better price.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...FS1o7Aod9gsAvQ
Old 09-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

When I had an F53, I thought my horn was really bad. When I took the pair of them off, only one horn was working. I could have had them replaced under warranty but wasn't sure I would have been very impressed with new ones.
I just went to a local salvage yard and got a pair off a 15 or 20 yr. old Cadillac and wired them in on the same wire so the three of them worked. You'll be proud of the horns you're driving.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This may sound crazy but if you take a look at motorcycle horns with a small air compressor you may find its an easy install, low cost, and a very loud sound. When the wife and I had our bikes the horn was so quiet yet needed so much. I did a lot of research and put the type I'm describing on our bikes. You will need to run power to the battery, not hard, and use a relay to get the sound you are probably looking for but a really easy diy.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Will concurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
This may sound crazy but if you take a look at motorcycle horns with a small air compressor you may find its an easy install, low cost, and a very loud sound. When the wife and I had our bikes the horn was so quiet yet needed so much. I did a lot of research and put the type I'm describing on our bikes. You will need to run power to the battery, not hard, and use a relay to get the sound you are probably looking for but a really easy diy.
On our bike, we too mounted a small compressor driven horn to ward off all of that stupidity out there. Glad we did! We will vouch for this as a low cost solution to the problem of being able to hear stock horns, F 53 or otherwise.
Let them know and hear that you are concerned about their driving stupidity.

Cheers

DJ
Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Loud Horns

I just installed this kit on my rig, have the same one on my F250. Not "train horn" loud but they will get someones attention.
Comes with two compressors, two relays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
torino421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
One other thing I will add is that when you mount the horn consider rain and the direction of the water coming from the rain. I used to mount my horns, like Torino showed in his post at an angle facing slightly down, to keep the water from building up in the horn. Also, having a small compressor will not give you the 2 minute blast but enough to get someones attention and get your point across.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

I have a W22 and the horn is pathetic too. I keep forgetting to look to see where its located so I can find out how much room I have.

They have the WOLO bad boy at harbor freight. I keep forgetting to pick one up when I have a 25% off coupon.

I really really want a train horn. A couple problems. I would honk it just to hear it...a lot. I experienced a pickup with the train horn and the people that caused the truck to honk were just confused and distracted because it didn't make sense. And...I don't want to deal with installing air horns. Way too many other things to do.

Tags
f53, ford, upgrade