Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #15

I have the same 3 valve engine....6 quarts of Mobil 1 15w-50 every 7,500 miles for the last 65,000 miles. I check it before each trip, add a little once in a while. It runs like a hose. No problems at all.

How much did you pay the counter guy for his great (not so great) information?
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

It is always best to have a little less oil than to over fill it. As mentioned, many here only take 6 qt. Mine is a 2004 and the book says 6 qts.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
It is always best to have a little less oil than to over fill it. As mentioned, many here only take 6 qt. Mine is a 2004 and the book says 6 qts.
George, I believe the 99 V10 is 2 valves per cylinder; the 3 valve engine was introduced in the 2005 Super Duty. My 2010 V10 takes 7 quarts of oil according to the owners manual.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
George, I believe the 99 V10 is 2 valves per cylinder; the 3 valve engine was introduced in the 2005 Super Duty. My 2010 V10 takes 7 quarts of oil according to the owners manual.

Mike
Mike, you are right. I need to read my post closer before sending...2 valve is correct. I guess the 3 valve takes a little more oil.... thanks for the correction.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Owners guide for 1999 V10 F53. manual F81J-19A321-AB. Page 96 Spec 3 engine oil. Use 6 quarts of oil on oil and filter change.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #20

I agree,those engines are pretty much bullet proof....as long as you keep oil in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
6 quarts with filter change, and have never heard of any bearing problems yet with the V10.

good luck and safe travels..
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #21
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be finding a different parts dealer.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot1
The gentleman told me these engines can have bearing problems. He said that this happens on long, hard, uphill pulls. That is why I should put in 7 quarts. I have always been told not to put in more oil than the manufacturer calls for.
Too much oil will cause cavitation and then you will be in serious trouble.
sbranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #23

6 qts in a 99 v-10 and see if you have the correct dipstick...it has a round handle vs the t-handle which was incorrect and indicated full at 7 qts
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #24

retired ford tech, Guys!!!! please do not overfill!!!! as stated the crank will pick up oil from pan and foam. This will also lead to broken pistons NOT GOOD. The slack adjusters for the cam and valves need ford semisynthetic 5w20 NOTHING ELSE If a full synthetic is used cam follower and cam damage can occure and yes I have repaired lots!!! and after testing oil, ford would not warrent repairs. Please read your owners manuals.

Please forgive the soap box but I have fixed many class A and C ford RV engines V8 and V10. The engines are very rugged if treated right and serviced regularly.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
retired ford tech, Guys!!!! please do not overfill!!!! as stated the crank will pick up oil from pan and foam. This will also lead to broken pistons NOT GOOD. The slack adjusters for the cam and valves need ford semisynthetic 5w20 NOTHING ELSE If a full synthetic is used cam follower and cam damage can occure and yes I have repaired lots!!! and after testing oil, ford would not warrent repairs. Please read your owners manuals.

Please forgive the soap box but I have fixed many class A and C ford RV engines V8 and V10. The engines are very rugged if treated right and serviced regularly.
So what you are saying, we who've been using Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic oil over the past number of years will be facing cam follower and cam damage?

Could you explain in detail what physically happens between the cam follower and cam from using full synthetic oil vs. semi-synthetic oil that results in the damage?

I can appreciate where oil viscosity may have an adverse effect on a cam follower and cam, but difficult to understand where the use of semi-synthetic vs. full synthetic would.

Our 2000 coach has the v10, and the owners manual spec'd 5w30 oil with no mention of a warning NOT to use full synthetic oil.

Later Ford issued a TSB calling for a change from 5w30 to 5w20 with the reason given as to improve fuel mileage which appeared to be miniscule.

We now have 75,000 miles on our engine and have used Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic oil for 11 years changing oil and filter between 5 & 7K miles.

So far we've had no issues with the camtrain. Is there a time frame in which I can expect the failure you describe from using the full synthetic oil?

Would appreciate your thoughts on the matter, Thanks

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford