Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

Ford V-10 Oil Quantity

Hi,
We just purchased a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T with 25,000 miles. When I was buying an oil filter at the auto parts store, the gentleman behind the counter told me to put in 7 quarts of oil in instead of the recommended 6 quarts. Mobil synthetic has always been used. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Mine when level will take 6 + maybe 1/4 with the filter. Have 48K on it and it is always the same.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

The gentleman told me these engines can have bearing problems. He said that this happens on long, hard, uphill pulls. That is why I should put in 7 quarts. I have always been told not to put in more oil than the manufacturer calls for.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Fill it to the mark ---- No more! Who do you believe a guy at the auto parts or FORD?
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Is this 'gentleman' going to pay for repairs causing by over filling your crankcase oil? Put in what the manufacturer calls for. Make sure you have the correct dipstick as Ford installed an incorrect dipstick in some models causing owners to overfill by a quart or so. Put in the correct amount and then mark the dipstick where the current oil level is and use that as a reference point for level checks. This is assuming that your coach has the v10. I can't remember when Ford switched from the v8.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Fill it to the mark ---- No more! Who do you believe a guy at the auto parts or FORD?
Not quite that easy with the V10 of that vintage. They changed the dipstick out because the level marks were wrong. I put 6 quarts in mine, with filter change.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My 2000 Mt Aire had the V-10 on a F53 chasis.. I alway put 6qts of oil and filter in every 3500 miles and never had any bearing or oil burning problems in 89K of use before I sold it. 6qts. should take it to the fill hash marks,,
Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

The gentleman you were talking to has no idea how the lubrication system works on a modern internal combustion engine. An extra quart of oil will have no effect on the lubrication characteristics of the oil galleries drilled into the crankshaft and block. As long as the oil pump is able to supply oil flow, an extra quart of oil has no effect. 6 quarts is all that is required on a Ford V10. Over filling an engine allows the crankshaft to come into contact with oil laying in the pan, causing cavitation and excessive foaming which could be picked up by the oil pump.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #9

6 quarts with filter change, and have never heard of any bearing problems yet with the V10.

good luck and safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

I just changed mine and after 6 quarts, I had to get another quart and put in half a quart to get to the full mark. Don't overfill.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #11

Ok. Thanks guys!! I think I've got it. Six quarts and check it. The previous owner has never put more than 6 quarts in. I appreciate everybody's input. true
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Over filling can lead to Foaming of the oil if the oil puddle comes in contact with the crank, NOT a good idea.
Oil is good lube
Oil + air = Foam ...Not good
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #13

Only related tangentially. My Ford 351W came with instructions for 7 quarts of oil with a filter change. It is in a Class B RV.

I've been told that the same engine used in a Mustang has a smaller pan, and a 5 quart capacity with new filter. In a full sized pickup it has a larger pan and 6 quarts with filter change.

Don't know if that has any bearing (small play on words) or not, but it did explain something about my engine.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #14

7 quarts on mine. Don't overfill your engine.

Tags
ford