Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #1

Ford V10 surging RPM

I have a Pace Arrow 1999 with F53 chassis. I have an engine problem. The RPM will hunt up and down about 200 RPM. I don't know what is causing this. It's fine on highway speeds. But as soon as you stop and idle or stop with no load and run up the rpms it will start it's 200 RPM hunt. What should be checked? The A/C is off during this test and not on defrost.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
I have a Pace Arrow 1999 with F53 chassis. I have an engine problem. The RPM will hunt up and down about 200 RPM. I don't know what is causing this. It's fine on highway speeds. But as soon as you stop and idle or stop with no load and run up the rpms it will start it's 200 RPM hunt. What should be checked? The A/C is off during this test and not on defrost.

Dirty injectors?
Old 08-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #3

The first thing I would check is your EGR Valve, which I believe you have on a '99. Check the valve for vacuum and check your hoses.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would clean your throttle body. This is the cast aluminum housing at the top of the intake manifold. Has the air intake hoses coming to it from the air filter.

The butterfly throttle plates get build up around them in the closed position. The buildup can keep the plates from closing completely. This can make the idle air control "hunt" trying to control idle speed.

Get an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner from any parts store or Amazon. Remove the air intake hoses and hold to the side. Run the engine at idle and spray the cleaner lightly into the engine. Not so much to make it die at first. After 10 seconds of light spray, give it a full burst for a second. It will die. Let it sit 10 minutes. Start and run at fast idle 10 seconds. Shut off and have a look. You want bores and plates clean. Repeat only if needed. Usually once is enough. Reattach air intake hose. Short drive and should idle better.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #5

Code2e is right on the mark.. but in my opinion.. I use old toothbrush and with engine off.. hold open throttle butterfly and use cleaner and toothbrush to clean.. and yes.. let sit 30mins and as long as good and clean.. reassemble and try.. I would also go ahead and pull IAC. Valve and clean that.. and clean passages to IAC valve on throttle body.. too.. you are right there.. you will need to replace gasket or use rtv.. then give that a try.. if not.. clean egr..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Code2e is right on the mark.. but in my opinion.. I use old toothbrush and with engine off.. hold open throttle butterfly and use cleaner and toothbrush to clean.. and yes.. let sit 30mins and as long as good and clean.. reassemble and try.. I would also go ahead and pull IAC. Valve and clean that.. and clean passages to IAC valve on throttle body.. too.. you are right there.. you will need to replace gasket or use rtv.. then give that a try.. if not.. clean egr..
Good luck and keep us posted
Using a toothbrush would be ok as long as a very soft bristle. Scratches are bad if they cross the seal line where the blades seat.

There are side benefits to the running spray I advocated. At idle, the spray passes thru the idle air control and soaks it when the engine is killed by full spray. Also, the oxygen sensors get a little bath as well.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10